FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » George W. Bush's #1 campaign contributor: Exxon-Mobil.

Author Topic: George W. Bush's #1 campaign contributor: Exxon-Mobil.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Forecasts predict $100 barrels of of oil in the near future.

Woot!

Exxon most profitable corporation in the world!

Woot!

i do believe that all politicians are evil.

but it is very, very, very, ignorant of us as Americans to continue to allow corporations to pump money straight into the hands of our statesmen.

A country for the corporations, of the corporations and by the corporations.

<T>

Do you REALLY expect Bush to be trying his damndest to find a clean water or light energy when the Old Oil is his #1 friend?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think candidates should be blind to the source of their campaign contributors. If only such a law could be enforced...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law works for Exxon-Mobil. Good company!

[Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you REALLY expect Bush to be trying his damndest to find a clean water or light energy when the Old Oil is his #1 friend?
I don't expect Bush to find a clean water or light energy at all.

I don't expect any President to do it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, who was Kerry's #1 contributor? I'm not super pleased by this, but not overly shocked either.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

A law firm. Skadden, Arps, et al. (Edit: I Googled for it, but for some reason closed the window before copying the link.)

[ April 05, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering where you're getting your information. Exxon-Mobil isn't even on the list I found.

http://www.opensecrets.org/presidential/contrib.asp?id=N00008072&cycle=2004

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

jeniwren, that doesn't work.

quote:
The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organization's PAC, its individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families.
Edit: So if ExxonMobil made an individual corporate contribution, it wouldn't necessarily show on that list.

[ April 05, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

I caught that. I must just be stupid, but when I read the info on opensecrets.org, I read that the vast majority of Bush's campaign funding came from individuals, not corporations. The list was based on what those individuals said they did and for whom. So it seems to me to be very relevant.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That's true for Kerry as well. But it would still be interesting to know who Bush's largest corporate donor was. However, while I found Kerry's in about thirty seconds, I can't seem to find the one for Bush.
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
TSS, if you are going to post something like that, please site your source.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Here are Bush's PAC contributions broken down too.

http://www.politicalmoneyline.com/cgi-win/x_candpg.exe?DoFn=P00003335*2004

What I see is that Exxon-Mobil, if they were the entirety of the Energy, Natural Resources category, would have contributed a total of $214,475. A teeny tiny drop in the bucket compared to the undeniably vast majority from individuals and PAC's in the Finance industry.

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It was already said:

quote:
I don't expect any President to do it.
A trueism.
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A law firm. Skadden, Arps, et al. (Edit: I Googled for it, but for some reason closed the window before copying the link.)

Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom? I used to do a lot of dep work with them when I still worked for the court reporting agency. BIG firm, ranked sizewise with Kirkland & Ellis, Mayer Brown & Platt, Jenner & Block (and I almost typed my name there... LOL)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My brother-in-law works for Exxon-Mobil. Good company!

My mother worked for Exxon-Mobil.
Its a horrible place to work, and a horrible company. She was in the oil refinory and worked hard threw my childhood, sometimes doing the night shifts.
She also worked for Conoco and other oil refineries while we were in Denver. Exxon-Mobil was the worst, in safty, in treatment of imployies, etc.

My curent favorite Companys are BP and ConocoPhillips. i found this out from an email following the vote, but here is another sorce: http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/010805Y.shtml

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it from The Dallas Morning News about 3 days ago.

It had Bush's top 3 contributors at Exxon-Mobil, Citi Group, and Walmart. They were his over all supporters. It also showed a list of how each company has been rewarded with legislation since he has been in office, most recently pointing to the tightening of the New bankruptcy laws weighed heavily into the banks' favor.

I am not a John Kerry supporter.

I am not a politician supporter,
i think politicians are a MAJOR
part of the problem in America.

They no longer represent US.

<T>

[ April 06, 2005, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: The Silverblue Sun ]

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

*pin drops*

ANWAR anyone?

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry's #1 supporter was Heinz Ketchup.

We came >>this<< close to seeing some rather biased tomato-based legislation being passed in this country. Tomatoes at $28/bushel, for starters! Horrible, horrible stuff.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

this is really a sad state of affairs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.