FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Carrie's Party Planning - Vana & Lime? Preggers People? Last call!
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to the hotel's site

quote:
Woodfield Suites Madison American Center
5217 E. Terrace Drive
Madison, WI 53718
Phone: (608)245-0123
Fax: (608)245-1644

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Google Maps Linky.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hmmm... now that I think about it, isn't Oregon, WI (where Tom lives) down on the south side of Madison? This is on the North side. I wonder if it will work...
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
*hangs up mid-dial*
Okay, I'll wait to make my reservations till you two figure it out LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Whew! Glad I caught you mid-dial.

I'll be staying in downtown Madison. It looks like my hotel will be a block from the capitol (If I'm reading the map right).

Hotwire has a "Central Madison" hotel that has a 3.5 star rating for $77. That rating is pretty good, and there is a good chance that the room is actually at the Hilton, I just don't know if that is true.

Here's how Hotwire works: They don't give you the exact name of the hotel at the time you make your reservation. The reason being that they want you picking hotel rooms based upon price, not name. This way, lesser known, nice hotels have a chance to compete with the big chains simply by the value of staying at that hotel. The issue is that you have to take the hotel as is. The hotel will supply you with whatever room is available- so you may end up in a smoking room or a type of room you don't want (a single instead of a double), but in exchange, you get some outrageously low rates.

Here's an exerpt from Hotwire's website:
quote:
Hotel Reservation Restrictions

Hotel reservations available through this Site are subject to the published conditions of carriage and rules of the applicable hotel. The following restrictions will apply:

a. All bookings are final and cannot be changed;
b. The name and exact address of the hotel are not shown until after payment has been made for the booking;
c. Reservations cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or transferred to other individuals. Once you book a reservation, your credit card will be charged for the amount shown — regardless of whether or not the reservation is used;
d. Room type will be determined based on the number of guests provided at time of booking. All rooms are booked as non-smoking (subject to availability). Hotel room assignments are determined at check-in and upgrades are not available;
e. The maximum number of rooms that can be booked at one time is four. All hotel rooms will be booked under the same name and the guest under whose name the reservation is made must be present at check-in;
f. Bookings made through Hotwire are not eligible for hotel reward or club programs;
g. Hotwire's minimum age requirement for checking into a hotel is 21;
h. Upon check-in, guests must present a valid ID and credit card in their name (the amount of available credit required will vary by hotel). Debit cards may not be accepted; and,
i. Hotwire rates do not include special fees charged by hotels upon check-out (e.g., energy charges, convention fees, resort fees, parking fees). Customers will be required to pay these fees directly to the hotels at check-out time.

If you take that route, it is at your own risk, but could be rewarding. According to the Sales Manager at the Woodfield, there isn't anything going on in Madison that weekend, so the chances of getting lucky and getting a decent room are pretty high. It's up to you.

I think that staying downtown is probably a good idea. Then we'll be close to all of the cool stuff in Madison and we won't have to go quite as far once things break up at night. I am already staying downtown, I'm just trying to present viable options.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hmmm... no comments yet. This has me concerned.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Sorry, PC, I wandered off to do real work for a while (evil bosses)..

I've never used hotwire before, so I'll have to check into that a little more closely before I start bidding on rooms. Your comment that we have no say in what we get concerns me a bit.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine with hotwire, and I'm definitely coming, but I really want to see some more people posting. If we don't get more people commiting to coming, I'm just going to beg Tom & Christy for floor/couch space.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I know, Goody, Hotwire is very intimidating at first. However, a little bit of detective work really circumvents the whole process. If you can determine whether or not it will be a busy weekend, you can really get away with a lot. It's very rewarding if you're looking for nice accomodations at cheap prices. A lot of times, the description of amenities gives away the hotel, if you know the area even slightly (or know someone else who does).
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hotels lose money in the short term with Hotwire, but the idea is that it gets people in the door who wouldn't otherwise. If you play the system, it works to the consumers advantage.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Big-a** bump. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

No kidding. Is it just going to be me, Jess and Ella at this point?
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm still planning on being there, as long as Carrie is. [Smile] But I do hope some more people make it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

If Nicole is still coming, then we're definites. If Nicole isn't coming, then I have a decision to make. My highschool choral director is retiring and the farewell party and concert is the 18th. I'd kind of like to go but I also want to meet everyone. So keep us as yes unless I say otherwise.

Good thing I didn't Hotwire...

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- in

Though I likes me some nice, cheap floor space.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Room reservation is made (and if I end up needing to cancel I can do so same day with no penalties unlike some of the other hotels). We're staying at the Americas Best on Perry. Hopefully I won't regret going with price over name recognition...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess that I don't even know where that hotel is. *blush*

Christy and I are "in," of course.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Tom, that's what Mapquest is for [Big Grin]
intersection of 14, 18 and 151 is what the Orbitz map is showing.... and dagnabbit, in the 4 hours or less since I made my reservation, the price has already dropped twelve bucks a night??

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Okay, so let's get moving on this. I'm happy to propose times and places to get together, but I'd like to hear from Carrie so I know what she'd like to do at her party.

Carrie, are you out there? Carrie, do you hear me?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Tommy can you hear me?
Can you feel me near you?

whoops, there I go again cross-threading LOL

BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like the financial Gods aren't smiling down on me this month. I can't make it... I'm sorry Goody, I had hoped to scrape the money together to go, but it just didn't happen. [Frown]

Nicole [Frown]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

No worries, Nicole, hopefully next time.

And I'm staying as a definite. I decided against going to the farewell party. The kids are looking forward to getting out of state and doing SOMETHING for summer vacation. [Big Grin]

ElJay
Member # 6358

*bumpity*

I'm still coming! And I'd still like to hear from our guest of honor... whatcha wanna do next weekend, Carrie?

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
*sheepishly waves*

Sorry about not being around that much. I've been dealing with a) a move to AZ and b) a potential family crisis, but thankfully my mother doesn't have cancer. *heaves HUGE sigh of relief*

So, yeah. Next weekend, eh? What normally goes on at one of these gathering-type things? I trust some are more well-versed in activities than I, but leaving campus sounds FANTASTIC, as I am without a car. Hint. Hint. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile]

Nice to see you.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to do? Otherwise, we'll just let Tom and Sara make suggestions. (Sara isn't around here much, but she's planning on being around at least part of the weekend.)

Carrie
Member # 394

I can't think of anything off the top of my head (though I will keep thinking about it), so let's hear the suggestions!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[peanut gallery]

ElJay has Fluxx, and I think she has Cranium.

[/peanut gallery]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

If we're thinking party games, I have Trivial Pursuit 20th Edition, and I seriously want to hit the game aisle to replenish my stock. When we moved out of an apartment 3 years ago, the ex screwed with my room-check system and we ended up leaving a couple dozen party games behind. Needless to say, I was quite upset...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Party games on State Street would be fun. The Olbrich Gardens are great, too, and I think our membership is enough to get y'all in for free -- which is especially nice since the new Rose Garden is opening on the 19th. There's good canoeing on Lake Wingra, with a very inexpensive boathouse. There's also a laser tag center on the west side of town, and an excellent game store on Odana. There's also a reasonably impressive and completely free zoo downtown on the lake.

Shopping along Willy/E. Johnson or the Monroe/Dudgeon area is nice, too.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I can bring Fluxx and Cranium. [Smile] I'm up for canoeing and the zoo, and could probably be talked into laser tag if others are interested. [Smile]

I'm always up for shopping, but have no real need to do any. [Big Grin]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

We love zoos =). I'd be interested in laser tag too, if someone's willing to keep an eye on the youngins while we're getting shot at LOL

And I'll bring Trivial Pursuit, and if I manage to start restocking, whatever else I pick up by then.

Carrie
Member # 394

I've not been to the Zoo, but on Saturday it will cost for admission (if that's a factor at all) - it's some special event or something.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Oh, that's right! It's "Feast with the Beasts," which is $5 admission (or $15/family) and features live music on two stages and a bunch of food vendors (which, sadly, are not donating their food; it costs extra to eat.) Figures. *laugh*

That said, there'll be jugglers and face painting and other family-friendly weirdness. I don't know how popular that'll be with this crowd, though.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

"family-friendly weirdness"? Gee, that sounds about right for this group...

I'm still open to the zoo, even at that price. We can always stop at the grocery store and pick up sandwich fixings and drinks, and pack a cooler, right? We always bring our cooler on road trips, I'll make sure we bring the wheelie cart too.

And we could potentially get creative with some of our "family" groups... <heeheee> Carrie, do you know what they consider to be a family? Like are adult sibs still considered one family?

Carrie
Member # 394

I don't know what constitutes a family, but I'd be willing to try their limits as long as we've got a couple (actual) kids with us. [Smile]

The event starts at noon on Saturday - and will have an interesting selection of Madison-area restaurant cuisine, though I am definitely not averse to bringing our own.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I want to go sailing. I've been meaning to take Jess out- even if it's just in a butterfly or something.

Lasertag may be fun, if the equipment is in good shape. Too often something is broken or missing and someone doesn't have any fun.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I've been talking with Sara off-list... here are some suggestions she had:

1) Saturday morning: humongous Farmer's market at Capitol Square ( http://madisonfarmersmarket.com/ ), easily takes hours to do one pass around

2) Saturday afternoon: zoo, arboretum, and ZuZu Cafe (all within walking distance of one another, right by the lake)

3) Saturday night: Dancing, for those up to it? (I only know about the local LGBT Club 5 -- http://www.club-5.com/ -- but there may be others. I've never been dancing here)

4) Sunday morning: brunch at the Firefly ( http://www.foodfightinc.com/firefly.htm ), with their ohmygod marscapone-stuffed French Toast with apple-ginger compote and mimosas

Other good restaurants:
Mexican -- Casa de Lara (out by Tom & Christy's way)
Mediterranean -- The Kasbah (Morroccan)
Fancy/expensive-er -- L'Etoile ( http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/AboutLEtoile.php -- organic local foods, featured in Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazines, founded by Odessa Piper) or Crescent City Cafe (French with Cajun overtones)
and lots more

TomDavidson
Member # 124

It's worth noting that finding a good restaurant in Madison is like trying to find hay in a haystack.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I'll probably pass on dancing because of the kids and the need to maintain at least semi-reasonable bedtimes, etc. And I think I'll let the experienced ones pick restaurants. =)
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I'm sure you all realize this by now, I can't come. Over this and last month I realized that I couldn't really afford to go anywhere much further than work if I wanted to get enough money saved up to go to Japan.

So I'm sorry if it disappointed you all.. I wanted to have a fun time with you guys near my birthday, but I guess I just have to make sacrifices. A lot of sacrifices.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Tom & ElJay, you have mail!
Carrie
Member # 394

Speaking of mail, if anyone wishes my phone number for strategeric and/or planning purposes - or even just to talk, really - drop me a line.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I have no mail.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Tom I sent it to the address in your profile, and I haven't gotten any kind of bounce-back yet... let me know if I should use a different email?
ElJay
Member # 6358

I got your email, and responded!

So everyone knows my plans... Sara has graciously offered me couch space and I've accepted, so fugu and I won't have to arm-wrestle for Tom & Christy's couch or anything. [Wink] I have to work on Friday and will be leaving straight from work. It's a 5 hour drive, so I'll be getting in relatively late. I don't know if PC and Goody reserved their rooms just for Saturday night and are planning on coming in Saturday morning or if there is anything going on Friday night, but I'll probably be just joining the party Saturday morning.

Has anyone heard from Vana and Lime lately? Or SO and JG? I know they had posted as possibles... I think I'll change the thread title again...

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Vana and Lime have been quite busy lately and not really on Hatrack. I'll shoot them an email asking if they're going to come.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I can't believe this is coming up so quickly. I should probably provide my cell phone number and work number just in case.
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to make this one. We've got more than a full day on Saturday, and the likelihood that we would be able to make it up there with any energy left over is next to nil.

Have a good time for us - and someone drink our share of any alcohol that might be around. Congrats , Carrie! Sorry we couldn't make it.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I reserved for both Friday and Saturday. I took Friday off work. I'd rather take my time driving up and maybe track down a cross-stitch shop or two in the area than be frantic Saturday morning getting there in time. I wouldn't mind getting together somewhere Friday night with the caveat that it be something from which the kids and I can break away easily if Missy hits her limit.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.