FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask Me Anything! (C'mon, you know you wanna.) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ask Me Anything! (C'mon, you know you wanna.)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* Exactly how I would have answered my question. The harder question is "Why did I lose my voice in the first place?" But I already know the answer to that too: I chattered too much at BobNDanaCon!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, When I was younger, there was a tv show that I remember absolutely nothing about, except that there was some sort of flying robot who always said, "Negative outcome, not good"

What show was that? It has bothered me for the longest time.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
What should I do for lunch?
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
prolixshore: When I was younger, there was a tv show that I remember absolutely nothing about, except that there was some sort of flying robot who always said, "Negative outcome, not good"

What show was that? It has bothered me for the longest time.

The only thing I can find with that quote is that it is from the movie The Flight of the Navigator 1986. Could it be that you saw it on TV and mistook it for a series?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Cow-Eating Man: What should I do for lunch?

Eat a cow, of course. Unless you're looking for variety, in which case I'd recommend a nice turkey sub from Quiznos. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, why did my boss just ban me from playing with a yo-yo during work, claiming that it is unprofessional (despite the fact that they give away toys including a yo-yo as prizes for good work) and that I've nearly hit some people (an exaggeration)?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Are these really the sorts of questions you hoped to solicit when starting this thread?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
What side of the bed do you sleep on, and why?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Primal Curve: why did my boss just ban me from playing with a yo-yo during work, claiming that it is unprofessional (despite the fact that they give away toys including a yo-yo as prizes for good work) and that I've nearly hit some people (an exaggeration)?

Because, clearly, your boss is a slave to moronic, self-contradictory, corporate policies. He's also probably trying to cover is own butt in case you actually do manage to hit someone.

jeniwren: Are these really the sorts of questions you hoped to solicit when starting this thread?

No, not really. As an ex-military, former LDS missionary, agnostic homosexual I thought the questions would be more intriguing, especially from Hatrackers.

KarlEd
Member # 571

dabbler: What side of the bed do you sleep on, and why?

I used to sleep on both sides. Nearly every night, at some point either Douglas (my ex) or I would get up and go to the other side of the bed and have the other person move over. That way we could maintain our "me-in-the-back-spooning" position, but still get to sleep on our other side. Now with Chris its more that he sleeps in the bed and I insinuate myself into whatever space that doesn't contain his own atoms or those of one of our three cats. And no side-switching in the middle of the night.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your favorite insects and why?

How do agnostic, former LDS homosexuals recruit people to their evil causes?

When can you come play in my garden with me?

Should I continue posting on Hatrack, or should I make my daughter lunch?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

What does it mean to be in love (especially as different from "simply" loving someone)?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I don't remember if you've ever talked about this in landmark threads or elsewhere, but I've always wondered what your childhood family dynamics were. There's sort of an implied question there. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of god says "Knock and it shall be opened to you", hides behind the curtain until you go away, then opens the door only after you're gone?
Did a door open after you left?

[ April 07, 2005, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Cow-Eating Man ]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Jenny Gardener: What are your favorite insects and why?

Dragonflies: because they are cool looking.
Butterflies: because they are beautiful.
Ladybugs: because they eat aphids.
Honeybees: because they are why many flowers smell good and/or are pretty. And I love honey.

How do agnostic, former LDS homosexuals recruit people to their evil causes?

We stand outside Republican Party fundraisers and re-program the disillusioned. [Evil]

When can you come play in my garden with me?

I'd love to. I'll have to see if my future takes me anywhere near the Hoosier State. Forecast is cloudy at this time. [Frown]

Should I continue posting on Hatrack, or should I make my daughter lunch?

Assuming you haven't already, go take her to lunch. Hatrack will be here and your daughter is growing up too quickly.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Karl. I kind of set the tone by asking frivolous questions. [Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Our dishwasher started leaking not long ago and it appears that it warped the hardwood floor boards in that corner of the kitchen. What should we do?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of the serious Ask the Expert threads have to be started by someone than the person people turn to as the expert.

I asked a serious question! [Razz] It's not for right now, but fairly soon. My boss will retire in a year, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to stay then.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

dabbler: What does it mean to be in love (especially as different from "simply" loving someone)?

Good question. Love defies universal definition, so it's unlikely anyone could give you an answer that no one else would argue with. I wouldn't have had an answer for you before I met Chris. I believe that you can love someone objectively, or even dispassionately, but if you are "in love" you are inextricably tied to the object of your love. Their happiness is your happiness. If all is good with you and your love, all other things seem surmountable, and life seems all too short. The only thing that hurts worse than seeing them unhappy is knowing that you are the cause. If you're in love it's much easier to cede an arguement even when you "know" you're right. If this makes no sense to you, all I can say beyond this is that you will know it when it happens. [Wink]

dabbler
Member # 6443

Thank you [Smile] That puts a lot of good things out in the open to help me figure it out myself.

*hug*

KarlEd
Member # 571

jeniwren: I don't remember if you've ever talked about this in landmark threads or elsewhere, but I've always wondered what your childhood family dynamics were. There's sort of an implied question there.

I talked about this in my first landmark, which is still in the landmark archives. But to re-cap, it was chaotic. Things were relatively peaceful until I was probably 10 years old then it was mostly yelling until well after I left home, ending in separation and divorce well after I was out on my own.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Cow-Eating Man: Did a door open after you left?

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to hear does it make a sound? I don't know if the door opened. How could I if it didn't happen until after I left?

KarlEd
Member # 571

No worries Twinky, this was started mostly in jest anyway. [Smile]

jeniwren: Our dishwasher started leaking not long ago and it appears that it warped the hardwood floor boards in that corner of the kitchen. What should we do?

Stop using the dishwasher immediately. Pull it out and let the floorboards dry completely. If they aren't too warped you might be able to sand them down and refinish them. If they are severely warped, you might have to replace them. If you do have to replace them, and money is a problem, you might be able to get away with replacing them with plywood if the damage will be hidden by the dishwasher. Also you might want to cut a piece of linoleum to go under the dishwasher to protect your floor in case this ever happens again. You'll probably also want to look into getting a new dishwasher, depending on repair costs and age of the old one. Good luck. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

dabbler: Thank you That puts a lot of good things out in the open to help me figure it out myself.

Though not a question, let me add a caveat: Being "in love" is not objectively a good thing. If you are "in love" with someone who is not worthy of you, or who is not "in love" back, or who doesn't even have your best interests at heart, it could prove tragic. Being "in love" while immensely satisfying in my own experience, should be approached cautiously. This is especially hard because the feeling itself makes you want to throw caution to the wind. Good friends are important. While good friends will enjoy your happiness when you are healthily "in love", good friends will also help you know when it is leading you into danger.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Will the next person I date be a [edit: member of hatrack, dang it!]?

[ April 07, 2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

A friend of mine grew up in a conservative Christian household. He's gay, and still very religious. He's undecided about what the Truth is, with respect to how he should live his life. I think he believes that Christians can have false ideas, and that the bible was written by fallible humans, but he hasn't figured out what God wants. He's been praying but has yet to receive an answer. He's divided between lifelong celibacy, or looking for a lifelong partner.

I doubt there is anything I can do to help him on this journey. But can you offer any insight?

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
One might hope the next person you date will be a jatraquera.

That is, unless I'm wrong about your orientation. For some reason I seem to be sure you're straight.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Yes, I know what you mean. Recently I expressed concern that "being in love" was in actuality, an unhealthy state of mind. It's very focused, a form of obsession, and can blind oneself from doing the right thing.

However, it can't be all bad. And I'm trying to redefine what it means to me.

[ April 07, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

KarlEd
Member # 571

fugu13: Will the next person I date be a [edit: member of hatrack, dang it!]?

If you're lucky. But don't hold out just for that. There are many wonderful people out there who haven't found Hatrack yet. Just as nice as dating a Jatraquera(o) would be to date someone nice and introduce them to Hatrack. [Wink]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

KarlEd:

First, thank you for directing me to your first landmark. I know I hadn't read it before when you originally posted it (which leaves me to wonder where in heck I was). It was very enlightning.

Second: Thanks re: the dishwasher. Even now I'm waiting for the repairman to show up to tell me whether we should buy a new one or have this one repaired. It's only 5 years old, but we really hated it (it came with the house), so replacing it is not out of the question at all. OTOH, we're thinking seriously about putting the house on the market in the next couple of months in favor of moving closer to Seattle. So buying a dishwasher we love sounds like a possibly needless expense.

New question: Until you came to terms with your homosexuality, did you ever date women? Most young men, especially LDS, are to some degree, pressured to date. I'm trying to understand how that was for you.

KarlEd
Member # 571

dabbler: A friend of mine grew up in a conservative Christian household. He's gay, and still very religious. He's undecided about what the Truth is, with respect to how he should live his life. I think he believes that Christians can have false ideas, and that the bible was written by fallible humans, but he hasn't figured out what God wants. He's been praying but has yet to receive an answer. He's divided between lifelong celibacy, or looking for a lifelong partner.

I doubt there is anything I can do to help him on this journey. But can you offer any insight?

Your friend needs to settle his account with God first. God still plays an important part in the lives of many gays. There are increasing numbers of Christian churches that will welcome your friend into their ranks. He has to emotionally and intellectually decide what he believes his relationship with God is, if any. Leaving God to "go be gay" is just as damaging in my opinion as living repressed and lonely just to try to fit into a group your heart isn't in. If he truly feels he isn't getting an answer, he has to decide if that feeling is because he isn't listening or if he is ready to accept that maybe no one is there to answer, or maybe someone is there but the question is so unimportant to Him that he doens't think an answer is necessary. I know what I believe the answer is, but it's an answer each has to find out for himself.

So tell him my advice is to get his heart right about God, then worry about whether that is going to require life-long celibacy, life with a compatible homosexual Christian, or life with one of us godless heathen homosexuals. It's infinitely more difficult to make the second choice before you've made the first.

His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd:

I am a newbie. Should I post my introduction on a newbie thread? Also, why haven't I done so yet?

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

jeniwren: It was very enlightning.

I suspect we may disagree on some of the things you feel you understand about me after having read that, but I still like you. [Wink]

So buying a dishwasher we love sounds like a possibly needless expense.

Not necessarily. You can always put in the sales contract that the dishwasher "does not convey" and take it with you when you leave. You could also buy an inexpensive, but new, dishwasher, which would probably last for a couple of years, leave it with the house when you sell and buy your dream dish-washer when you get in your new place.

Until you came to terms with your homosexuality, did you ever date women?

Yes. I dated a little. I was the guy that most of the mothers in church wished their daughters would go out with. I don't think I ever went on a second date with a girl, though, because I never saw the relationship going anywhere. This was in part because I didn't click intellectually with many of them, as well as the fact that there was never any physical desire for them on my part.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Karl,

Of all the controversial hatrack characters who have left in a huff recently or in the distant past, who would you most like to return?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

His Savageness: I am a newbie. Should I post my introduction on a newbie thread? Also, why haven't I done so yet?

No. A thread especially set up for newbie introductions is like a closet to put newbies in. Be bold. Start a thread that says "Hi, I'm His Savageness" and wait for the questions about who "He" might be and why you are "His". [Wink]

You haven't done so yet because you are reticent to jump into the midst of this wild gang of eclectic personalities. You've been checking the waters up to now. But now you should go for it!!

KarlEd
Member # 571

Primal Curve: Of all the controversial hatrack characters who have left in a huff recently or in the distant past, who would you most like to return?

"Controversial" is a subjective term and I'm completely ambivalent about all the huffy leavers who fit that term for me. However, of all the Hatrackers in self exile the one I'd most like to see back is Bonduca. (I'd have said Slash, but I know where to find him so the loss is diminished.)

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. I miss Slash like doom. He doesn't even try to kill us in D&D anymore. (sigh)

Karl, what's the part of my neck on the left side that hurts so much and feels like crumply paper when I push on it?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Meyer
Member # 7758

- posted      Profile for Phil Meyer   Email Phil Meyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I a newbie?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

KarlEd:

In all honesty, what I found in your landmark wasn't what I expected (if expected is the right word...it probably isn't), so I'm tucking the information away for better future understanding. I was genuinely curious...I try to understand homosexuality as best I can. I know a few gay men, only one well. Your childhood is significantly different than his was. He, fwiw, chose God, and it has made his life very, very difficult. He isn't what I would call a happy person, though he's got the most generous soul I've ever known. He's been a good friend to me for nearly 15 years. I didn't know he was gay until 4 or 5 years ago.

The dishwasher repair guy just left and it's a fatal issue. I'm going out to buy a Maytag on his recommendation. [Smile]

KarlEd
Member # 571

Ryuko: Karl, what's the part of my neck on the left side that hurts so much and feels like crumply paper when I push on it?

[Eek!] Something you should see a health care professional about.

Phil Meyer: Am I a newbie?

Well, since this is your first post with that name I'd guess, "No." I suspect you are either a lurker come out of hiding (in which case I'm flattered), or an "oldbie" trying out a new name.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the cheapest way to move from Texas to California with a one-year-old who's not weaned yet, two cats, and an apartment full of stuff? Is me flying with the baby while my husband drives the cat and some more breakable stuff in the car and hiring movers for the rest of the stuff we want to move, while selling some of the replaceable stuff and buying it when we're there a good idea? Did that last question's sentence structure really irritate you?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

ketchupqueen: What's the cheapest way to move from Texas to California with a one-year-old who's not weaned yet, two cats, and an apartment full of stuff?

The cheapest (feasible) way is probably to rent a u-haul and pack and move all your stuff yourself. With your husband driving the truck with the cat and you taking your kid with you in the family car.

Is me flying with the baby while my husband drives the cat and some more breakable stuff in the car and hiring movers for the rest of the stuff we want to move, while selling some of the replaceable stuff and buying it when we're there a good idea?

This sounds to me like a better idea, if you can afford it, but it's likely to be more expensive than option number one. Also, for anything you plan to sell and re-buy, make sure you can re-buy it for less than the cost of moving it or else you're wasting money. However, that said, this is a good opportunity to get rid of anything that isn't really essential, or is really ready to be replaced. The less you move, the less it will cost you (within certain margins.)

Did that last question's sentence structure really irritate you?

Not as much as it amused me. [Wink]

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
(Feel free to not answer this question) Has anyone ever felt you betrayed them? Did you feel you had, and what did you do about it?
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Suneun: Has anyone ever felt you betrayed them? Did you feel you had, and what did you do about it?

This is also a tough question. I'm sure I've disappointed my share of people. I've angered a few, carried grudges against a few, and otherwise upset my share of people. But, honestly, if anyone has felt that I betrayed them they haven't confronted me with it. I think I'm a pretty loyal person. I try not to betray a trust if it can be avoided.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
How can I break my Hatrack addiction, or at least lessen it a little?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you always see a lot of moose when you hunt roedeers and vice versa?
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Shigosei: How can I break my Hatrack addiction, or at least lessen it a little?

The only way I know of is to lose your internet connection. No 'net = no hatrack. An alternative that works for some people is to get deeply involved in a highly controversial discussion about something personal to you. Do this enough and you're bound to get so tired you'll want to take a break. Unfortunately, sometimes the break lasts indefinitely.

Swede: Why do you always see a lot of moose when you hunt roedeers and vice versa?

The moose and roedeer have a mutual protection alliance. They've each secretly agreed to swarm any hunters out to hunt the other.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
There was something else I was going to ask my Mission President but now it's slipped out of my mind, what was it?

How do you feel about various hair-placement products (my name for hair-gel, hair-spray and the like)?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Balding (half-density top of the head) man should keep is hair short or grow the back of it long?
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Hobbes: There was something else I was going to ask my Mission President but now it's slipped out of my mind, what was it?

Is it OK to post on Hatrack on my P-day??

How do you feel about various hair-placement products (my name for hair-gel, hair-spray and the like)?

I've slowly decided they are worth it if you need them to acheive a cleaner look. However, I try hard to be as low maintenance as possible.

Suneun: Balding (half-density top of the head) man should keep is hair short or grow the back of it long?

As for length, whatever floats your boat. But if you're going bald, go proudly. No comb-overs, no spray paint, and don't hide under a baseball cap. Bald can be just as sexy as a full head of hair, all other things being equal.

[ April 08, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.