FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Western music needed

Author Topic: Western music needed
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My work is putting together a soundtrack of Western music for a meeting in a few months.

We are looking for Western, definitely, but not country. Not the "down home, me and my dog and my truck and my beer" songs, but more of the "The wind they call Mariah" and "Down in the West Texas Town of El Paso" kind of stuff. The Bonanza theme. The theme to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Any ideas? It's sadly much easier to find country, but there has to be some music that conjurs desert, old time cowboys, and lonely heroes instead of bars, one night stands, and family life.

[ April 07, 2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly theme!

*runs out thread*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Choctaw Bingo by James McMurtny (may have misspelled that). In fact, most things from him are definately country, normally funny, and occasionally true.

Insert content warnings as needed.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron Copleland. Rodeo. The definitive work on "western" folk music, IMO.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Gere
Member # 6534

- posted      Profile for Richard Gere   Email Richard Gere         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out "The call of the west" by Wall of Voodoo.

Especially "On interstate 15"

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie Benjamin

check out some of the stuff on "Life's Blessings" by clicking on "Music" then on "Lyrics" and then on "Samples" for mp3 snippets of the songs that you like.

"Glory", "West Texas Wind", "The Great Divide", "The Road" and "Wildflowers" come to mind. And she's local so you can get her to play it in person, if need be, for not too much cash.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Doug Burr

Anothewr local guy with an incredible sense for Americana singing and an earnestness that reminds of Buddy Holly. Very campfire spiritual style with soulful harmonica work. Incredibly good. Also local and likely can be had live for a small fee.

Click listen and checkout "Dark as the Night"

[ April 07, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There is lots of good "Western" stuff out there; check out some of the singing cowboys especially. My mom is a huge fan of Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers (oh, and let's not forget Dale Evans).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Cattle Call by Eddie Arnold
Cool Water by Eddie Arnold

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I especially like "The Bull".
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe something like from the old musical Calamity Jane starring Doris Day and Howard Keel. They sing one that goes, "Lost my heart in the black hills, the black hills of Dakota..."
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
For TExas music, I would go with Jerry Jeff Walker. I will try to find some specific ones for you. Hmm. Might not want to go with "Up against the wall, Redneck mother," but there are others!

Ha! Remembered one. It is actually a cover of a Rodneyt Crowell song, it turns out. Beautiful song, definitely campfire-esque.

quote:
Banks of The Ol' Bandera Lyrics
Artist(Band):Jerry Jeff Walker Review The Song (0)
Print the Lyrics

Banks of The Ol' Bandera Lyrics

100% Legal MP3 Downloads

Send Jerry Jeff Walker polyphonic ringtone to your cell phone

Get Paid For Your Opinion - $10 to $250!

Rodney Crowell

On the banks of the ole Bandera runs a barefoot child
Takin' Sunday-go-to-meetin' shortcuts
He's out across those open fields, down those dusty drives

The hills that wear blue bonnets, they look like a print dressing gown
Thru the summer rains, that pur down like honey
They help make the mushrooms grow and that always make the B-man dance
Once we ran barefoot through those clovers so wet with dew
Like wild Comanches' crazy horses on the loose

Chorus:
Sometimes it feels like a song
Sometimes it makes me feel like it's gone
Now it all feels like a song

You can hear a screen door slammin', hey let's run a foot race to the creek
Where you see clear down to the bottom of the deep end
Dependin' on where you stand, how you look, and what you want to see

Monkey vines, swimmin' holes - weren't they always around the bend
And that rope we used to swing on, now it just hangs tattered by the wind

Chorus

Down on the banks of the ole Bandera

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Banks-of-The-Ol'-Bandera-lyrics-Jerry-Jeff-Walker/3E15842796AA859648256DDC002BC48E

[ April 07, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sons of the Pioneers

Red River Valley
Ghost Riders in the Sky
Tumblin' Tumbleweed

you can get a lot of ideas from here because this local group has played Carnegie Hall itself as an "original Cowboy band" -- they play all the old stuff -- so that page lists the titles, etc., which might help you.

Farmgirl

[ April 07, 2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Shenandoah"

One of my all time faves. Jerry Garcia and Gave Grisman do a cover on their "Not for Kids Only" album, which everyone should have anyway. Dan Zanes also does a cover.

Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, you lonely river...

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the lyrics Connie Dover sings to Shenandoah, although she doesn't do it as "Western" as some.

You should just get my dad and a coulple of his friends to come out and play for you. I'll even sing with them. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you gotta include some Bon Jovi Young Guns songs.

"I'm a cowboy. On a steel horse I ride..."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The Eagles have some great desert songs.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

America, Horse with no Name.

About as deserty as you can get. But I think you are looking for more traditional songs, right?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What, no one has mentioned "Ghost Riders in the Sky"?

Seriously, Katie, you can raid my CDs if you want; I have some stuff that you should be able to use.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

uh... I did (above) KQ
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're right, I just skipped right over it while reading. Sorry. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

The theme song from How the West Was Won

and the "Rawhide" song (Blues Brothers version is my personal favorite) [Wink]

(I'm having fun thinking of these. El Paso is firmly stuck in my head at the moment.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Laredo"-- although it's about syphilis, so may not be appropriate... [Razz]
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Deadwood always has a different song for the ending credits. There's probably a soundtrack around somewhere that has some songs you might be able to use.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I must be thinking of a very different Laredo than you are talking about, KQ! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Same one, but slightly different and with a few more verses. He's not shot, he's dying of VD. I think Cash cleaned up the lyrics some, but there's still that reference to "Rose's"... [Evil]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Having looked it up in my Lomax books, it seems Cash has mixed two different versions of the song: one called "The Streets of Laredo", and one called "The Dying Cowboy". Except for the change from "As I walked down to Tom Sherman's barroom" to "As I walked down the streets of Laredo" and a few other minor changes, the lyrics are as they were printed as "The Dying Cowboy". In my family, we were more prone to sing the "The Streeets of Laredo" version. Of course, all versions were based on "The Sea Grave" or some such broadside, which was originally about a sailor. [Smile]
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Ledoux: I don't much care for him, but aaaaaall the cowboys I met out in Utah this summer loved him. There was a song about a wild roan that I liked, though.

Riders in the Sky: Very funny. Excelent fiddler. Lots of old cowboy folk songs. Exactly what your looking for.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Glen Campbell.
My fathr and I travelled back and forth across the country a lot when i was little in the 60's, and I remember listening to Glen Campbell songs on the road.
Wichita Linesman
Galveston

many more

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
George Strait's Amarillo by Morning might qualify.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Save a horse--Ride a cowboy."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Johnny Cash's version of "Green, Green Grass of Home."
(written by Curly Putman)

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
We Used To Ride 'em (full song)

She Won't Come To Me (clip)

Five Dollar Bill (clip)

No Roads Here (clip)

These are all by The Corb Lund Band. He has his whole two first albums for download on his website (minus some bonus tracks added to the first album for its CD release) and samples of his latest.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Come, Come Ye Saints" [Big Grin]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack of Walker by Joe Strummer (formerly of the Clash).

Some of the best western music you'll ever hear. Fantastic soundtrack, a great listen.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Just about anything by Marty Robbins.

quote:
Chris Ledoux: I don't much care for him, but aaaaaall the cowboys I met out in Utah this summer loved him. There was a song about a wild roan that I liked, though.

That Chris Ledoux song is probably "Strawberry Roan." Just about anything by Chris works too, especially "Night Rider's Lament."

Ya can find some Willie Nelson with Ray Charles duets that go well with that theme. I seem to recall "Seven Spanish Angels."

I agree with the Roy Rogers, Sons of the Pioneers, Eddie Arnold (beautiful voice).

[ April 07, 2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob Dylan's "Desire" album is lovely and desert(MExican) themed. Sort of. Some of it.

Where are you, Katstress? I feel we are going off your chosen path here. I am trying to focus on westernish country with a desert theme, but are you looking for classic cowboy songs?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This is all wonderful. We are definitely not going to hire live entertainment, and I'm not the one putting the soundtrack togeher, but I've been sending e-mails to the woman who is all day. She thinks I'm enormously clever. Thanks!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, are we on the right track, kat? So to speak?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"The Ballad of Weaverville", by Jim Ringer and Mary McCaslin, as performed by Kate Wolf on Give Yourself to Love

"Medicine Wheel" and "Brother Warrior", both by Kate Wolf (I think on Give Yourself to Love and Poet's Heart respectively, but also on Weaver of Visions: The Kate Wolf Anthology, IIRC).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and "Desert Wind", also on Give Yourself to Love.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh Turner's Long Black Train
Brad Paisley's Mud on the Tires
Rascal Flatts' Mayberry
and maybe Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned "Ghost Riders in the Sky." Perhaps you have not heard the slightly better version done by Moosebutter: Ghost Chickens in the Sky. (That's just a sample.)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.