FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ireland - poetry

Author Topic: Ireland - poetry
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I am attract by this country. I don't know why. I project to go during the end of summer. But in waiting this time, i wrote a new poem about this island. It is in french, and then translated in english. I hope i make a good translation for sens. But rhymes are lost.

I signe this poem for all Irelanders around the world.

Irlande

Comme une émeraude rôdant au milieu des saphirs,
La pierre précieuse est amoureuse de l’océan.
Quel grand dieu dû être ému en la créant !
Sa nature de verdure s’étend sur les porphyres.

Elfes et génies des forêts éveillent le mystère
Que la terre porte en son vert être si charmant,
Et le lent vent souffle les parfums des serments,
Odorant du puit de Boann aux finistères.

Ses insulaires à l’air insurgé et libre
Sont ivres de leur pays délivré et celte,
De l’île fière et verte, d’allure belle et svelte.
Ô, Bamba, tant de grands cœurs en ton corps vibrent !

Ton âme rousse leur souffle une larme en douce,
Pour ceux au loin qui ont joint les nouveaux mondes.
Tous ces cœurs te pleurent par-delà les bleues ondes.
Irlande, tes légendes en mes rêves poussent.

Ireland

Like an emerald roaming in middle of sapphires,
The prescious stone is in love with the ocean.
What a giant god must be moved by creating it!
Its nature of verdure extends on porphyries.

Elves and geniuses of forests wake up the mystery
Which the ground carries in its green so charming being,
And the slow wind blows the perfumes of the flower,
Fragrant from the well of Boann to the finished country.

Its islanders with the insurgent and free air
Are drunk of their delivered and Celtic country,
Of the proud and green island, beautiful and slender pace.
Ô, Bamba, so much of large hearts in your body vibrate!

Your russet-red heart breath their a tear into soft,
For those far off who joined the new worlds.
All these hearts cry you beyond the blue waves.
Ireland, your legends in my dreams grow up.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Learn to like Guiness - anything else becomes expensive fast. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I love Guinness !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, that is so strange...I've felt a peculiar interest in this country for many years. I own several photography books full of pictures of only Ireland, I love the music, the art, the fairytales, legends...the landscapes.

In fact, I'm planning to take a nice month next sumer (2006) to spend in Ireland and Scotland. I can't wait to finally visit. [Smile]

Thanks for your poem.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You'll fit right in. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always felt a spiritual connection to Ireland. I have always hoped to go see it, along with Wales and Liverpool, where my grandmother grew up, with my grandmother before she dies. Unfortunately, she's had a stroke-like event, and it's unlikely she'll be doing any trans-Atlantic flying in the future. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm planning to take a nice month next sumer (2006) to spend in Ireland and Scotland.
You're planning on going to Europe during a World Cup summer? I am unbelievably jealous.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh is it really WC summer? Where are they holding it? I'll be sure to stay as FAR away from there as possible.

It's funny because my mother's side is mostly Scottish, making me at about 45% myself...and yet, I've felt the draw to Ireland. *shrugs* I'll be close enough to visit both though when I go.

My next spiritual connection is to New Zealand, and that came BEFORE LotR was filmed there. A friend of mine served her mission there when I was in high school and sent me letters and pictures. I've wanted to go ever since...and after reading OSC's thoughts, I REALLY want to go. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its islanders with the insurgent and free air
It's not free in the north.

**** THE BRITISH!!!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh is it really WC summer? Where are they holding it? I'll be sure to stay as FAR away from there as possible.
It is indeed. [Big Grin] It'll be in Germany, so you'll be far away from the games themselves...but not necessarily away from the action.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

The Irish countryside is absolutely beautiful, if you don't mind the occasional sheep.

There is something poetic about the shore and watching the Atlantic ocean fall on the rocks.

The cities weren't that impressive, to my mind.

My next excursion abroad, should I be so lucky again, will be to New Zealand.

-Trevor

Edit: As for the World Cup - it won't matter where you are in Europe. You'll still be caught in the excitement. It would just be worse in Germany. [Big Grin]

[ April 09, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Some of OSC's thoughts about New Zealand
Narnia
Member # 1071

Trevor, are you serious? That makes me not want to go next summer then. Maybe I'll wait another year.

Drat.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Soccer or, with respect to your prospective hosts, football is the single largest sport that has fans in every country in Europe and most of the world.

The World Cup is the pinnacle of Football and I can only imagine you're likely to find an air of excitement in most of Europe before and during the actual matches.

Particularly since it's not held every year.

Mind you, this is sheer speculation on my part and I don't think the energy will unduly impact your visit, except that any pub you visit will have the games on. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Choobak
Member # 7083

I'm drinking a glass of pure Connemara "Task Strength" on your health, friends of Ireland.
Sorry for your grandmother, Queen. I hope you'll go on Ireland in the futur.

Narnia, we are two, and more to be touched by the green island. I'm happy you like my poem.

jebus202, This story is like a tear. But all Irelander keep this free air and their will to be independant from anything. That what i meant in my poem. Don't wake up old pain.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am another who would love to get into the Southern Hemisphere sometime [Smile] .

I've never been to Ireland, but although I can tell it's very beautiful, I never felt a pull to visit... Your poem is very pretty, though, Choobak [Smile] .

EDIT: It always made me sad the tension that is kind of synonymous with Ireland in my mind, especially sentiments like Jebus' [Frown] .

[ April 09, 2005, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ahem.

Depending on where you go and if you take a tour guide, you'll hear a lot about old pain.

Not that it tends to be "in your face" most of the time, but it's still there.

-Trevor

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in love with Ireland as long as I can remember. I've never been, but I've never felt another place call me so strongly (except the Arctic, but I've been there). I want to go, but when I go, I want to be able to stay for a year or so. I've got some friends in Newry and in Dublin, but I think I'd like to live in the country. Finding work could be tricky, but who knows? Maybe after this summer...

I love the language, the culture, the music, the history, the landscape, and most of all the mythology and the poetry. Choobak, yours fits right in. It's beautiful.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, your poem has me in mind of a beautiful traditional song about Ireland, "My Own Dear Native Land."

There's a dear little isle in the western ocean,
It's an island of purity, holy and grand;
Its name fills its daughters and sons with emotion
When heard on the shores of a far distant strand.

'Tis Ireland, God bless her, the birthplace of heroes,
The home of the patriot, warrior, and sage,
Of bard and of chieftan whose names live in story;
May they live forever on history's page!

You once were a proud and a glorious nation
Your name and your fame were known all o'er the world
'Til misfortune came o'er you and sad desolation
Your emerald banner in slavery lay unfurled.

They tortured your children, they spoiled your green bowers
They tried to exterminate you long, long, long ago;
But the Irish are somehow like wild, creeping flowers
The faster you pluck them, the quicker they grow.

I love every blade of grass green on your mountains,
Every leaf on your trees, and every rock on your strand
I love your green valleys and murmuring fountains
I love you, a cuisle, my own dear native land!

(A cuisle, pronounced "ah KOOSH-lah" (kind of), is "my darling" in Gaelic. Kind of.)

[ April 09, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Ireland last summer. It is indeed incredibly beautiful. Maybe the best thing was the general climate. As someone who is 100% stupid Celt, I generally am not made for the South. I live in Texas, and I have won many a bet by saying that I can burn in 5 minutes. I hate hot weather, but I love cold, wet, soggy weather. I want fog and rain and mud and wind that cuts like a blade.

In Ireland my allergies cleared up and I found that, finally, I could stand the weather better than the people I had come with. It was really amusing.

We got to stay in these little hamlets that were just georgeous. We rented bikes and rode around the countryside, and took a bus up to the Cliffs of Moher (which I'm proud to say... well, maybe not proud. I peed off of the Cliffs of Moher. There. I said it), and they're the most astounding thing I've ever seen short of the time those two girls streaked on campus.

There are a lot of times that I want to go back to Ireland and Scotland. Edinburgh is possibly the coolest city in the world. Beats London easy. My friend is going to be an intern for the Irish Parliament this summer. He gets to stay in Dublin. I told him to try not to get his ass kicked, because Dublin struck me as sort've a rough town. Lucky chump.

EDIT: And Guinness is black heaven.

To quote Monty Python from the "Bruces" sketch, "Your American beers are like havin' sex in a canoe. It's ******** close to water!" (you can fill in the blanks yourself)

[ April 09, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

::wipes tear from eye::

Take that, Kansas!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'll second Edinburgh As being a cool city, but I have to admit - Paris was by far the most fun of all the cities I've had the opportunity to visit.

-Trevor

Edit: For typo

[ April 09, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

Like Mo Cuisle in the beautiful Eastwood's movies : Million Dolars Baby ?

Pretty song for my ears... I'd like to make ryhmes in english...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, that's the same word. But, um, I didn't see that movie, because of the disibility issue. My grandmother is a native Gaelic (and Welsh, and English) speaker, and the two seconds of the Oscars that I caught by accident, where Hillary Swank murdered that word, really ticked me off.
Astaril
Member # 7440

To be fair, Gaelic is hardly one of the more easily learned languages in the world...

~Asta (<--- a frustrated Irish Gaelic student who doesn't know how to pronounce anything)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Best thing to do for your pronunciation: find a native speaker and listen to them. A lot.
Astaril
Member # 7440

I've been looking for one for years! I found a place that has lessons, but they're in the next city over and I can't get there. I'll have to wait until I get to Ireland I guess... Someday!

Edit: The next best thing I've found is to listen to Gaelic songs with the lyrics in front of me. Doesn't help with knowing which part to accent all the time, but it helps somewhat.

[ April 09, 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. I need to talk to you guys more before I go to visit, sounds like y'all know a lot more than I do. [Smile]

And Astaril, wouldn't it be great to live there? I've looked into teaching jobs over there, but work permits for England are brutal...not sure about Ireland though.

Astaril
Member # 7440

Narnia, yes!! I intend to live there at some point. My friend in Dublin jokes that given the number of Americans working there, it seems like all you have to do for a permit is show up. So southern Ireland might not be as difficult as N. Ireland, which would run like England, I assume. I don't suppose you have any direct British/Irish relatives? My grandad is English, and I think there's some form I can get him to sign which makes it easier to get a work permit for the UK. I need to look into that.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've got some friends in Newry and in Dublin, but I think I'd like to live in the country. Finding work could be tricky, but who knows?"

Christy and I honeymooned there, and we were so smitten by the country and its people that we also contemplated moving.

But yes, finding work could be very tricky, indeed. For all that Ireland is a charming country, it's a poor one; it's part of the European Third World in a lot of ways. It's easy to overlook this when the leaky thatch roofs and abandoned shipyards are part of the scenic vista, but it's harder when those same shipyards once employed your neighbors.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

That's true. There's a lot of poor places in the world that get glossed over as 'traditional' by tourists, I think. As for myself in Ireland, I'd thought of WWOOFing it if I can find places, or trying to get hired on as otherwise temporary/permanent farm help somewhere. I'd be more than willing to work for plain room and board. If I had the money to simply volunteer somewhere, Ireland or elsewhere, I'd do that instead in a minute, but I can't afford it just now.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Ireland is nowadays one of the most prosperous countries in Europe. Its one of the EUs big success stories.

In 2002 the only country with a higher GDP per capita was luxembourg: http://epp.eurostat.cec.eu.int/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/2-18122003-BP/EN/2-18122003-BP-EN.HTML

(this is a turnaround from 1995 when 10 out of the 14 other EU15 countries had a higher GDP per capita).

It has only improved since then.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel much pull to Ireland... but I definately feel some to Scottland. And its only gotten worse since I spent four months there with my parents sophmore year. Its beautiful there, very, and something about the scottish history, lore, and culture just calls me. Not to mention the place itself, even though I hate the weather. I love Scottish and Ireish music. And I love the history and the legends and just... the whole spirit of the place. And I have very strong British ancestery (as strong as any of my ancestery gets, cause I've got a little of everything).
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

I'd just like to add that our unemployment rate is less then 5%, one of the lowest in Europe, so it's not that hard to find a job. EDIT: Actually, apparantly it's the lowest in the E.U. http://www.ibeurope.com/Factfile/78unemp.htm

Not that we want you stinky americans coming over and making cracks about our ugly women. It's whats on the inside that counts!

[ April 10, 2005, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

The last night, a dream came all green,
In one instant, i went in a land,
So pure as i have ever seen.
You fire my heart, fine Ireland !

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So, jebus, what's happened in the last few years in Ireland, between the time Christy and I considered moving there and now? You've been in a good place to observe the changes. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
they got the EU grants. And now they don't want to give them away to Poland.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Well I have and I haven't.

Dublin's been doing well for awhile and I've only ever lived here. It's also only in the past couple of years that I've begun to pay attention to social issues. Add to that the fact that I've always lived in the rich areas of town, it's given me a fairly limited view of progress being made. But there's always construction going on, always new roads being built. Last summer we finally got a tram system up and running. And a month ago the biggest shopping center in Europe opened here.

But it's true that in the west of Ireland there's still a great lack of development. That's why I advise no one to live there.

jebus202
Member # 2524

You don't deserve them Kama, your people will only spend them on... what stereotypes are there about Polish people...?
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
vodka.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Being persecuted! Yea that's what you guys will spend your money on; being persecuted.

EDIT: No, vodka is Russia, come up with your own stereotype, you unoriginals.

[ April 10, 2005, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

Hmm. So what you're saying is it's still going to be hard to find work in the Gaeltacht. Especially with only rudimentary Irish. Drat. Well, anything's possible. Maybe I could go to Dublin first for a while to learn some more Irish and make some money. (Or do the same in Nova Scotia - that's my other plan).

Oh, and I'm not stinky or American, nor do I have anything against ugly women, so can I still come? [Wink]

Choobak
Member # 7083

Hep ! Can you indicate me some interesting place i must visit in Ireland ? I'd like to know more about it.
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
the white cliffs... or is that england? whatever. my friend said that you ride horses in the South West. and somewhere you can dig up peet. oh! the Blarney Castle. there's a stone in it, and legend says if you kiss it, you'll get luck or something...don't feel like looking it up now. but it's very pretty. wish i can go to Ireland [Wall Bash]
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The White Cliffs of Dover are in England. Or rather, at the edge of England.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

Well, the one place I'm determined to get to is Tara, the legendary seat of the High Kings. I don't know if it's a town now, or just some mounds out in the country or what, but if you know the mythology, it would be a neat place. (Might not be too interesting otherwise though.)
Choobak
Member # 7083

My poem speaks for me about my interest of mythology [Smile]
Tara, and Blarney castle. I take notes.

[ April 11, 2005, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

A question :

How to travel when i am in Ireland ? What his the best way : train, rented car, bus, foot, walking on hands...?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, KQ, you deprive yourself from a great movie by not seeing Million Dollar Baby because of the disabled issues. I mean : no one approves adolescent suicide, but Romeo and Juliet is still great, isn't it ? I think people take things too much literally. The fact that a character makes a choice in a movie doesn't mean that the scenarist, the realisator, the actor would do the same choice.

[ April 13, 2005, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I agree with Anna.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.