FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ozzfest 2005

Author Topic: Ozzfest 2005
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a HUGE Iron Maiden fan, I was wondering if anyone is catching the show this summer?

I will be going to the Pittsburgh show on July 23rd, unless of course, my wife is in labor...

Up the irons! Oy!

http://www.ozzfest.com/bands.html

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard, can you put this link on the Music Festivals thread? Have you been to one before?
Edit: to an Ozzfest, not a music festival
Edit again: where have you been?

[ April 11, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I haven't been to a concert in over 10 years. The last one was the Rolling Stones at Soldier Field. Lenny Kravitz opened. I actually got a little sleepy near the end and marveled at the Stones' fortitude.

Then again, maybe they are using Nick Nolte's anti-aging regimen. Who knows.

As for Hatrack, I have just been away. No grief here and no reason to stay away. I have just been...quiet. Not a lot to say.

But as for Iron Maiden, I stopped buying their albums after Seventh Son back in 1988 or so. So I have quite a bit of catching up to do and it has been a re-visiting that has been very enjoyable. I actually had trouble rapping my mind around how many songs I knew by heart, but had filed away in the corners of my memory...

P.S. It is good to be missed! [Smile]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say this much. The OZZFESTS over the past couple of years have gotten really boring. 2001 was a great OZZFEST. 2003 and 2004 stunk. The T-shirt design follows suit. Just to let you know, Ozzy is not as young as he used to be. He starts out with a bit of energy, but half way through he just starts mumbling. I love his music, but I can't stand watching an old man bounce (not jump around) in one place for a show. Judas Priest wasn't even all that great last year. I expected more from slayer. Black Label Society is still good, but Lamb of God needs a bit of work.

2002 was a great show. I am by far not a fan of Manson, but he knows how to put on a great show. Slipknot was good too.

If the price is right I might go. I like Killswitch Engage's style, I have seen Mudvayne a few times at the Norva, Rob Zombie....as long as he wears the costume/makeup. He really doesn't do well as a performer wearing a T-shirt and blue jeans. Iron Maiden....I will watch if I go solely because I bought tickets. They really need to bring back Disturbed. An get rid of that Linkin Park crap.

[ April 11, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Yes but Maiden will rock, severely. I am also looking forward to Rob Zombie and Killswitch Engage...
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Hey Stan! You sneaked that last paragraph in as an edit after I posted. Now my post looks goofy! [Razz]
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I forgot I had more to say when I clicked add reply.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being a HUGE Iron Maiden fan
Run for the hills...

I'm actually not a big Iron Maiden fan - this is the only song I really know. But it was an anthem in my youth.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Of course, I forget. The other reason to go to one of these. There are other things to see besides the bands. [Cool]

However, If you like beer..... DO NOT BUY ANY AT AN OZZFEST! Most venues sell beer for $10 a cup (the big plastic cups). The sad part is is you can't bring any in with you. My thing was to get a case on the way. Sit out at your car and drink that down. Depending on the heat, will determine how much of a buzz you get.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

Dag,

I graduated high school in 1989, so I grew up through my gawky adolescence smack dab in the middle of the 80s. Sadly, back then, I shunned pop music on the radio and opted more for metal. I had 5 Iron Maiden albums from Number of the Beast through Seventh Son that I would put in a 5-disc changer and shuffle and sit there and listen all day long. I studied that way in college and pharmacy school, often pulling 5 and 6-hour study sessions to Maiden all day and night.

It was a bit sick. [Wink]

Today, I still catch myself playing air guitar to every solo as I am hearing it simultaneously in my head from memory.

So, basically Ozzfest could be a bunch of garage bands from Lightafart, Arkansas for all I care, as long as Maiden shows up, I am happy.

Stan, no worries about the beer. I probably won't even bring any, as 2 of my friends do not drink, and I only drink socially. Mostly.

Dag,

Also if you like metal, Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a concept album that pays tribute (if you will) to OSC's novels throughout many of the songs. The album itself is good, but not their best. And ask any Maiden fan, and they will tell you that Run To The Hills was always inconprehensibly overrated as a hit, but still Maiden.

[ April 11, 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

Tell ya what, Black Sabbath really needs to get Ronnie James Dio back for a few shows. I loved his voice with Sabbath.

Looks like for Maiden, if you try to see them outside of the OZZFEST you will have to travel a bit.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

Stan, I have 2 weeks vacation around July 31st when my wife is due to deliver. Depending on when our daughter is born, I will travel anywhere in the continental US to see them this summer. I just do not care.

I kicked myself for missing them at Monsters of Rock Tour of 1988. I feel like "Carl" from Aqua Teen Hunger Force for even saying so, but I just don't care. I am regressing to my adolescent, violent and troubled youth, and I am enjoying it.

Slim Jim anyone?

Stan the man
Member # 6249

[ROFL] Is this the desperate times call for deperate measures? If it is an outside venue please make sure of the tickets you buy. I usually buy the lawn tickets because they are cheap. They are also far away.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Yup. If I see them in Pittsburgh, it is an outdoor ampitheater. It used to be called Starlake when I still fought pimples and wore parachute pants (the first time around).

Stan, what is cool for me is I have all this music from No Prayer for the Dying on forward, which I never bothered to listen to or explore. I was happy (and usually broke) with my 5 CDs and, instead, went backwards to their first 2 albums with Paul DiAnno as the lead vocalist. By the way, these 2 are very raw and almost punkish in style, which is kind of wierd...

p.s.

Liz, can you link me to the thread you want this link in (if that is not entirely silly since you could just copy the link yourself) because the only thread I could find on a search was one that was titled "Which Bands Do You Want To See Play Live?" or something like that...

[ April 11, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I will bump it, Alucard.
My husband is going to Widespread Panic tonight. I was going to go, but I am too pooped. However, i dreamed about it lst night, and now i want to go, but it is too late, and it really would be too tiring.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
*backs out of thread since it isn't another one about a Kansas get-together* [Blushing]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It would have been OzCON if it were, Punwit.
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I have to be a powerslave?
I don't want to die I'm a god!
Why can't I live on?

or better yet...

TWO minutes to midnight
the hand that threatens do-oo-ooom!

and especially...

You take my life but I'll take yours too!
You fire your musket but I'll run you through!

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I sneaked out of work today and picked up a copy of Brave New World by Iron Maiden and a DVD titled "Visions of the Beast". VOTB has videos and some animated extras from their work over the last 25 years. Basically though, it is a collection of videos.

I also ordered a pizza and I am in complete Nirvana, as I jacked into a backdoor line at work and I am also downloading a few Maiden albums I do not have.

Bliss!

[ April 12, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Alucard...
Member # 4924

*Bump*

I am so there. Tickets have been ordered for the Pittsburgh show July 23rd.

Hatrackers unite!

Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alucard...:
Being a HUGE Iron Maiden fan, I was wondering if anyone is catching the show this summer?

I will be going to the Pittsburgh show on July 23rd, unless of course, my wife is in labor...

Up the irons! Oy!

http://www.ozzfest.com/bands.html

YES! Maiden RULES!
I'm going on August 2nd in Columbus. The only other real concert I've been to was a Metallica/Godsmack concert last year. I didn't get my full hearing back for 3 days, but damn it was well worth it. I'm hoping this is going to kick some major ass.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

From the lack of responses, I am going to assume that Hatrack is not a fan of metal.

[sigh].

Well Leon, I hope you get to rocketh the muther out of Columbus...

"I only dream in black and white
I only dream 'cause I'm alive
I only dream in black and white
To save me from myself...

The dream is true, the dream is true..."

-Dream of Mirrors
Iron Maiden

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am not a metal fan. I am trying desperately to shield my guitar-playing 8 yo from it. So far, we have convinced him of the joy of our hippie music. We will be attending Grassroots at the time you are banging your head, Alucard.

However, he was decidedly in love with Widespread Panic, which is a gateway band for harder rock.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread the last time round....

I would SOOOO love to go to an Ozzfest. Unfortunately, both money and childcare get in my way year after year. But you can bet that the {bleeping} ex-husband will be there....

My brother went two years ago, managed to make a wrong turn on the way to the bathrooms and found himself backstage and face to face with a very drunk roadie who was supposed to be handing out free lawn seats to a Motley Crue/Megadeth/Anthrax concert the next week. Steve ended up with a huge handful, and we seathopped all the way up to the 20th row. Anthrax didn't show, by the way, but they were my least favorite of the three anyhow.

Oh, and Alucard, I had no idea we were so close in age. I've always had the impression that you were about 10 years older (I graduated in '90 but I was bounced forward a year early on, so I'm 2 years younger)

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Goody,

I am glad (or not so glad) that I sound so um...mature in my threads. Actually, my 9-y/o son considers me a kid stuck in an adult's body.

Liz, it is cool. My advice is to surround your son with good music. No matter the type, children LOVE any kind of good music. I have had my 2-y/o daughter dancing to anything from Static X to Lynard Skynard to the soundtrack from O Brother...

My son LOVES Maiden, and it too is his favorite band. I actually want him to learn guitar, but he wants to play drums...

Since I don't get out much, I really was hoping to run into a fellow Jatraquero or two, and I am actually a little bummed that no one else will be there. The chances of me making EnderCon or any other get together are pretty slim for the rest of the year.

Oh well, that IS what the internet is for, right?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Liz, it is cool. My advice is to surround your son with good music"

Check.

He loves Donna the Buffalo the most. Then Plastic Nebraska, which is a pretty weird, hard rock festival band, Los Lonely Boys, The HorseFlies, a sort of REM meets Talking Heads meets old time band. Pretty much any blues(and the blues is his favorite to play so far) He also really loved the Clash when he heard them. Widespread Panic was a huge hit. Max Creek. He has already seen more live music than many adults. If he gets into heavy metal, which I do feel is inevitable, at least he will ahve a pretty wide range of music to draw from.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

Bump.

This is tomorrow in Pittsburgh, PA. Anyone else going?

Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, but is anyone hitting Gigantour this summer?
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's on that?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

I haven't been to a concert in 10 years, so I am pretty nervous and anxious and pumped and a little more chatty than normal.
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be at Gigantour in NJ.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
The two headliners are Dream Theater and Megadeth. The various supporting bands include Fear Factory, Dillinger Escape Plan, Nevermore, Symphony X, and a few others. My main reason for actually attending a festival is the fact that I don't miss Dream Theater concerts when I have the chance.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bmeaker
Member # 4443

- posted      Profile for bmeaker   Email bmeaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Megadeth has some good stuff, I don't know about their new stuff though. Fear Factory is good, I saw them in 1999 at ozzfest that year. I've heard a song or two from Dillinger Escape Plan, they were ok. Nevermore is good, they have a new album coming out soon I think. Symphony X is good power metal stuff.

I've been to two ozzfests, 98 and 99. I liked the 99 one better. Fear Factory, Rob Zombie and Black Sabbath were there.

This year I went to the Sounds of the Underground tour. I liked it a lot. High on Fire, Strapping Young Lad, GWAR, Opeth, Clutch, and Lamb of God were the bands I liked the most there. I had seen GWAR, Clutch and Lamb of God before and they were as good the other times I had seen them.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.