FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our Colony (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Our Colony
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any of you have seen this little game, but it seems pretty cool. I found it on another forum and thought Hatrack would probably do a bit better. [Evil]

Basically each day a new challege is posted, and everybody in the colony gets together and tries to figure out the answer. You get points for correct answers, more colonists, and you can submit challenges, and if they pick them you get points too.

Sooo yeah, it's basically just a fun little game that looks like it will be pretty tough and really work your brain.

So, I started a Hatrack colony and I think this will be fun. So here's what you have to do!
1. Go here.
2. In the white field, type play
3. Click Join Existing Colony
4. Add 13606355 to the empty field and make an account.
5. Once we get five colonists we'll be able to see the problem, so join now and let's see how we do! [Smile]

[ April 12, 2005, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: NinjaBirdman ]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm... I'll bite.
*munch*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the whole colony see the same challenge? I have "Here sweet margie sits. At this distance it sees the rich, the poor and everything in between."
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently so.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so now that we have 6 people, we can see the challenge.

quote:
Here sweet margie sits. At this distance it sees the rich, the poor and everything in between.
Some things that may be important:
margie isn't capitalized, so it may not be a name, it possibly means something else.
"At this distance" seems a little weird. You'd think it'd be height or something, not distance, unless of course the distance is close or something.

I dunno, I'm really quite stumped, but keep in mind that the answer could be anything really. I heard the last one was Angelina Jolie.
[Dont Know]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

The fact that it's "it" and not "her" seems like it would be relevant.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
The rich and the poor in what currency?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Rich and poor might not even refer to people. It could refer to rich or poor soil, for instance.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
It still says there aren't enough members on my screen.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

Try closing all your browser windows and then going back to the site, that worked for me.
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

Woah, after a bunch of google searching I found the answer, Western Avenue. The margie that is being reffered to is margie's candy shop in chicago. If you search for sweet margie in google you can find stuff about it. And the street that margie's is on is western avenue. I was about to give up on this too. [Smile]

I guess we'll get a new challenge tomorrow. Meanwhile, we need more people, so people who haven't joined, join!

[ April 12, 2005, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: NinjaBirdman ]

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined but someone used MEC as a SN already. [Grumble]
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like the new challenge is up. It's a puzzle piece that looks like part of a photo of a car, but apparently it's not one I can name. [Frown]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
http://home.comcast.net/~cporter42/731.jpg

This is what I see. Does anybody see anything else?

Also, what was the solution to the first challenge?

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of confused. It's a picture. How is that a challenge?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Microsoft is doing a good job with the new Xbox promotion. You do know the purpose of this "game" is to promote the new Xbox. Teams that do very well get to see pictures of what the newXbox looks like. It is viral marketing at it's best.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

It looks like some kind of buick.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't let me past the registration screen. I typed in my information and then that number that's there I typed into the field, but it says it's the wrong number.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting the same thing as Lyrhawn. Frustrating.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

It is a Ferrari 360 modena
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you figure that?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
somebody already has Dragon too...

[Grumble]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

I don't get what we're supposed to be doing...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

Because I have my sources...shhh
urbanX
Member # 1450

here's the completed image
Dragon
Member # 3670

um... so we know what it is... now what?

everything I try in the box comes up: "You have not met the challenge. Use your colony to solve the puzzle."

urbanX
Member # 1450

I'm having the same problem...hmmm
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

Well, it seems like the images are pieces of a puzzle. I've got two right now.

here
and
here

Anybody see anything different?

NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

*Dances*

Ok! I managed to figure out a bunch of stuff. The pictures on the site are just stored in places that are 132 away from eachother. So there was 335.jpg, 467.jpg, 599.jpg, etc up until 1259. So I took all these images into photoshop and after flipping a few of them and stuff I got this . Sloppy I know, but we only needed the message. So there's our challenge.

quote:
Stella's peddler.
Imagine if he had
one of these.

Now to figure that out! *googles*
Teshi
Member # 5024

Various Wikipedia Stellas
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

who's stella? what would someone sell to her?

once we know that, obviously they could work faster in a nifty car... or something like that.

rav
Member # 7595

- posted      Profile for rav           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried making an account, and it kept yelling at me about that stupid number box that I'd type in properly every time. I also tried making raventh1 thinking maybe rav was already taken.. It hates me.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

Try again later, it was doing that to me last night, but a half hour later it worked... [Dont Know]
MEC
Member # 2968

maybe it's some kind of link between "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Death of a Salesman"?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Could this have something to do with the clue?

quote:
ready for more secrets?

if you aim to find the truth, you will uncover tom caty instead of edward

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

where'd you get that?
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's at the bottom of our colony's main page (the one with "Hatrack" in the upper left corner), below the sentence telling me how to get others to join up.

Now it also says, below what I quoted earlier:
quote:
(to err is human, without the colony, you would have been misled by the error)
Am I special, or does everyone have this?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the car in the picture is Ferrari 360 Modena (I think - but it's definitely a Ferrari), which is apparently a competitor of the Lamborghini Stella (or something).

I don't know where to go from that though.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Modena is a city in Italy in which many things happen/ have happened.

It's also a peach:

In full 'Modena peach'. A type of peach tree grown in Modena; the fruit of this tree.

and a colour:

Also in form 'modena'. A deep reddish purple colour. Freq. attrib. Now rare.

and a pidgeon:

More fully 'Modena pigeon'. A variety of pigeon distinguished by a stocky build and red legs.

An italian site with both words...

But I agree, the peddler of the Stella would be Lamboughini, or according to the site that you went to, a Mr. Pi.

[ April 12, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
i just signed up, and I see the "without the colony" thing too.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You have not met the challenge. Use your colony to solve the puzzle."
Any possibility our colony name is somehow involved in the answer? Or maybe the word "colony"?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

now it's tom canty...
urbanX
Member # 1450

I just saw that....tom canty and edward are characters from the prince and the pauper...
MEC
Member # 2968

I know that...I was just confused when it said Tom Caty though...
urbanX
Member # 1450

(to err is human, without the colony, you would have been misled by the error)
Teshi
Member # 5024

So you'll get the Pauper instead of the Prince... The same thing, a copy, only of worse appearance.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure both those sentences were there before this clue.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It's possible they're there all the time.

EDIT: Sorry the person mentioned in the article is a Mr. Ferdinand Piech.

quote:
Suddenly in 1998 Ferdinand Piƫch, top level manager at Audi AG, offered to buy Automobili Lamborghini SpA, Di Capua managed to convince the Indonesian owner to agree and on June 12, 1998 a 'letter of intent' was drawn up stressing both partners to close this deal as soon as possible.

[ April 13, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

They definately seem to be the two major competitors, so if Stella's seller owned the other car that would be... bad.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.