FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *grumble*

Author Topic: *grumble*
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an earthquake in the middle of the night and I missed it. I've always wanted to experience one.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, they're not that big a deal.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
We had one in Charlottesville about 20 minutes into my first law school exam.

I hope it wasn't a portent.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm sure you'll get another chance.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to see a tornado.
See one, not be anywhere near one.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one when I was little - gave me dreams about it for years after. It is sometimes an adventure living in West Texas. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Did the earth move for you last night hun?"
"Sure did."
"Funny, I slept right through it."
"That's usual, sad, but usual."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was an earthquake in the middle of the night and I missed it. I've always wanted to experience one.
I have an attraction/fear relationship with earthquakes. I've never experienced one, and kind of want to (just a mild one), but on the other hand I'm afraid of how I'll feel once I realize that the ground beneath my feet is not, in fact, stable.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Little quakes feel like a semi-backed into your house and didn't quite hit the loading dock correctly.

The biggies now, those are fun!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I should have been more clear. I want to experience one while standing or lying in a big open grassy field.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm afraid of how I'll feel once I realize that the ground beneath my feet is not, in fact, stable.
That's what appeals to me, the instability. I like the idea that you can really feel like you are standing on a great big rock.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Intelligence3 ]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Little quakes feel like a semi-backed into your house and didn't quite hit the loading dock correctly.
Exactly - except they last about 30 seconds.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

One of the guys on the team here who just moved here was up all night working, and when I told him that what he had felt at 4AM was an earthquake, he got really excited that he had been in his first earhtquake!

Half the team is coming in late today because they lost sleep.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I should have been more clear. I want to experience one while standing or lying in a big open grassy field.
Chicken.

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't miss much. I think I must have felt some kind of subtle vibration just beforehand because I woke up just in time to feel about a half second of shaking. I stayed awake for another few minutes just to see if there would be more, but nope.

Edit: It was actually small enough that I completely forgot about it until I read this thread.

[ April 12, 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a small one when I was living in Ottawa. A bunch of us were sleeping in the basement and I recall saying, "Hey, it's an earthquake" and someone replying "Nah, it's just the dryer."
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Chicken.
Well, in a house I wouldn't feel that the *ground* was moving, just the house. I want to feel the ground move, but at the same time I'm afraid of the ground moving.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When trucks go by our apartment, sometimes it shakes a bit (we're on the second floor). I'll wake up in the middle of the night, waiting to see if it's going to intensify into a real earthquake, before realizing that it's just a truck going over a bump, and I'm in Dallas. [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you people! I heard about the quake in the car an hour ago, and planned to post a thread asking I3 if the earth had moved for him last night.

I knew I shouldn't have stopped at the produce place on the way home. [Grumble]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly - except they last about 30 seconds.

Eh, mine only lasted about 10 seconds... I thought it was a heavy-loaded freight train running the tracks behind my apartment until I saw the headlines the next day.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an earthquake in San Diego around 4:11 AM We've got the San Andreas fault nearby so maybe that had to do with it. Where else was it felt?
Ironically, the magnitude was 4.11...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a tornado on my birthday once, that was pretty neat. And then on my last day of school, right before we were going to try and drive over the mountains...

No earthquakes though.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
we had an earthquake a while back and my sister missed it because she was bouncing her feet and didn't notice it. She was incredibly disappointed, which was amusing. My dad was on the flats at the time (which are very close to the water table) and he said you could see the ground waving, almost.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.