FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medical... question? Gripe? I don't know. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Medical... question? Gripe? I don't know.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a horrid, horrid headache. I get migraines, and this is worse. It's been growing on me for several days now. I feel like worms of fire are eating my brain. I also have an occasional tightness, like my head is trying to collapse in on itself. Also, my spine hurts. It never stopped after they gave me an epidural (yes, more than a year ago, when Emma was born), but it's been getting worse for about a month, and now it's a throbbing, constant pain, centered on that spot and radiating about an inch and a half out. Maybe more. And I feel dizzy, weak, have trouble keeping my eyes open, and everytime the baby squeals, I just want to smother her or something to shut her up (which is not a normal impulse for me, and which is really scaring me).

Is this just a worse migraine? Or what? My migraines aren't typical.

Is there anything I should do to make it better? My normal techniques aren't working.

I'm going to go lie back down in my dark room now. It's hard just to type. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'll check them in a while.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened with your mouth sore? Also, have you been tied to the screen a lot? P.S. I checked your post log, and while I wouldn't say posting is causing the headache, I don't think cutting back would hurt.

[ April 12, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
((((ketchupqueen))))) I don't have any advice except a hug.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It healed and went away, and no, I've been taking it easy because of the headache.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you bend your neck? Touch your chin to your chest?
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

with much painn yes
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like this wouldn't be a bad time to see a doctor. Hopefully CT, Theca, Ela, Alucard, or any of our other members with medical training will happen by soon and be able to offer more informed advice.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a fever? Rash? Sensitivity to light?

[ April 12, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

no, i dont know, yes

new development- every time i hear a sudden noise, the throb in my head is accompanied by one in a limb.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

oh and nausea lots of nausea
rivka
Member # 4859

You mentioned not having much for breakfast. Have you been eating properly?

Really bad headaches, especially persistent ones, can be a sign of something serious.

If you can possibly manage it, I think you need to see a doctor.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a migrane, kq... :/ I'd see a doctor.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, could be meningitis, although lack of a fever makes that less likely. But still...get thee to a doctor right away!

[ April 12, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But she said no fever. [Dont Know]

OTOH, meningitis is not the only Very Bad Thing that can have a severe headache as a symptom.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I dont eat in the mornings. never have, now i dont get a chance.

can't afford a doctor. really. [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka you're right i havent been eating properly.

could this be related to improper nutrition while nursing a baby?

rivka
Member # 4859

Possibly. I know I have been known to get nauseous and light-headed while nursing and not eating enough and nursing -- especially if I were also dehydrated.

Have you been drinking enough?

But the combination of severe headache and stiff neck is REALLY BAD. I'm no doctor, but I know that. Is there no medical clinic with a sliding scale that you can get to?

Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd say go anyway, and find a way to pay for it later. I know that we're always saying "go to the doctor!" here, but seriously, this sounds like a time when it'd be worth it. Think about what would have happened to Elizabeth if she hadn't seen a doctor when she was having headaches and having problems focusing here eyes and all that.

::angry with a system that denies people basic medical care::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

closest clinic is downtown. no car, husband at work.
rivka
Member # 4859

Bus?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

noemon, REALLY REALLY CANT afford it
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
*Moves carefully over to the side so as not to get run over when Elizabeth reaches this thread* [Razz]

It's a bit slow for acute meningitis. No fever, and no rash, I assume. You could have a migraine, or a mixed migraine/tension headache. I also wonder about your spine pain and I wonder about muscle spasms. What exactly HAVE you been doing for the headache? I seem to recall they aren't the typical things doctors usually recommend. Have your headaches been changing lately? Have they ever been evaluated by a doctor?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

train, but have to walk 2 blocks. don't feel i can.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Can he take off work to come get you? Are there taxis in your area? Do you know a neighbor you could ask for help? Are there any hatrackers living in your town?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

diagnosed with atypical migrane disorder, age 8.

visualization, painkillers (good ones), self-hypnosis/relaxation, pressure points, massage not working.

rivka
Member # 4859

Coccinelle and kat are in Dallas. No idea if either works anywhere in the vicinity.
Theca
Member # 1629

Which painkillers? Any caffeine?
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

noemon, if i really really needed to, my mother-in-law could get me and the baby (complication to transportation-- child in infant seat)

but i still can't afford it. seriously. we have NO money right now.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, okay, I didn't know that ketchupqueen lived in Dallas. Ketchupqueen, if one of them could pick you up, would that make any difference to you in terms of your willingness to be seen in a clinic?

Also, in a city the size of Dallas, surely there are some clinics with sliding scales for emergency treatment, aren't there?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

drank a Dr. Pepper.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ,

Unfortunately, I have more questions than answers:

Do you believe your adverse event from the epidural to be the source of your migranes? Or did they occur before the epidural?

Have you injured your neck or spine recently?

Have you had your spine manipulated by a chiropractor or physical therapist etc... recently?

What do you do specifically to treat a migrane?

What successes or failures can you share in the treatment of your migranes?

As far as diagnosis and treatment of your migranes, you really do NEED to see a physician. I would recommend a neurologist and a batch of tests, most likely consisting of an MRI, CT Scan and bloodwork to start. However, my diagnosis skills are not even close to a physician's abilities. What makes this so hard is that headaches and migranes have so many etiologies that without more specific information, treatment is limited to OTC analgesics that help with pain, and that is not the answer to your problem!

I'm sorry I can't help more. Is there a doctor in the house?

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My ability to pay is about $5 right now. like i said, my husband has the babys seat. my mother-in-law has one if i really need to go but the baby is asleep.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Absurd question, but has your neck been hurting this morning? Did you sleep well?

Or did the neck flare up in combination with the headache?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Alucard,

no, yes

no

no

listed above

i have a routine that usually works, when it doesn't, it's not usually this bad.

trevor,
I slept fine. my neck always hurts. the stiffness came along with the headache.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Saw your post only after I'd posted mine. I hope I'm not irritating you here by being too strident or whatever--it's just that in my nearly total medical ignorance this sounds like it could be serious. I'm *really* glad that Theca made her way in here--she's probably the best one of us you could have hoped to have look in the thread (no offense to our other medicos and medico types). The fact that you have a history of atypical migranes puts me at my ease somewhat, but still.

If you had to go to a clinic you could always pay later. Even if the most you could afford was a dollar a month, you'd be paying toward your bill, and I believe (Dag, UofUlawguy, correct me if I'm wrong) that as long as you did that they couldn't turn you over to a collection agency or something.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, please go see a doctor. My dad found himself with a splitting headache one morning, unable to focus on anything or even to walk easily, and he didn't want to go to the hospital. I overruled him and he was operated on later that day to remove a ruptured brain tumour.

Go. Please.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

twinky, i will see if it still feels this bad in 2 1/2 hourse when jeff gets home. if it does i promise to go, ok?
TMedina
Member # 6649

You may not be able to afford it, but at the rate this conversation is going, I don't think you'll be able to afford not to go.

When is your husband due back from work?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
((((kq)))) Just hang in there. But tell us if you get off Hatrack, OK?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ok, I hate sounding morbid, but:

Either call him and let him know what's up or write a note and leave it for him in case you can't communicate to him in 2.5 hours.

-Trevor

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

he knows, he came home for lunch and put the baby down for a nap.

he didnt want to leave but doesnt want to get fire.d.

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm glad you'll go if it is still bad when Jeff gets home. Much sympathy and many hugs in the meanwhile!
TMedina
Member # 6649

Do us a favor and leave a note - if you're asleep, he might not want to wake you up.

And I'd rather him actually check on you and you respond then to just assume you're asleep.

-Trevor

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
twinky, i will see if it still feels this bad in 2 1/2 hourse when jeff gets home. if it does i promise to go, ok?

Okay. [Smile]

*sends good vibes in the meantime*

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't think that waiting is such a good idea. I remember Elizabeth talking about how essential getting treated quickly was. Plus, you've had this all day, and your symptoms have only gotten progressively worse. Seriously, what's to be gained by waiting. I really think that you should call your mother-in-law.
Theca
Member # 1629

There should be clinics that do sliding scale. Becoming a patient of the internal medicine residents at the University of Texas medical center there would be one way of doing that, you'd get good care, but I'm sure there must be other clinics too. However, I suppose they are not open right now, you'd have to go to a walk in clinic or the ER. ERs are better at sliding scale.

I suggest you have someone come over and look at you, kat or your husband or a good friend to see how you are functioning and just how bad things are and together you decide if you need the ER or if you need to sit down and work on finding a clinic tomorrow.

(It took me awhile to type this post)

Oh, and you haven't listed your painkillers yet, or doses, unless I missed them.

twinky
Member # 693

I agree with you, Noemon, but KQ seems pretty set on this idea. If she was a relative of mine I'd just bundle her into a car and take her to the hospital, but she isn't...
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah twinky, I'm a little worried that I'm coming off as pushy in an area that really isn't my business. Even so, I thought it was probably better to err on the side of being a bit of an ass.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, doctor, please. Please.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

hahaha. you'd have a fight even with me feeling bad...

i took 3 advil earlier, they didin't help. drank a dr pepper.

now I took one, um, i forget the name... it's prescription, tylenol and something else. on top of hte advil, seems to be helping the pain a little... drank about a quart and a half of water, helped the dizziness. but the shakiness/spsms getting worse.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.