FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question to all hatrackers!

Author Topic: A question to all hatrackers!
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here it comes!

Why do people try and avoid landmarks???????????

Are landmarks shameful?
Do they cause technical problems?
Do they smell of onions?
Eat your slippers?
Pee in your bed?

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you write a landmark, people will be able to read it until the forum dies! [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always ask Papa Moose to remove the thread from the landmark forum. I'm sure he would oblige if you asked nicely.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
a) Because they reach their 999th post and feeel that they have to save their 1000th post for the landmark, but they have nothing to say. So they create a new name to post.

b) Because they want to write their landmark at a certain number and know what they're going to say but are procrastinating on actually writing the darn thing. So they create a new name in the mean-time.

People: Don't feel pressured to write at a certain number, or at all. Write one when you feel the need to [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I felt that landmarks were pointless to me. I did the one, but then felt no need to do another.

I'm still a little shy about my identity (obviously).

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
? Why would a landmark be bad?
I'm preparing to write mine to celebrate my 1000 post, 18 birthday, HS graduation and 1st aniversary at Hatrack...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid them because i read really slowly, and they take me forever to read, though i usually just end up reading them in sections over a few days. [Dont Know]

as for avoiding writing them, i just have nothing important to say, can't speak for anyone else.

(also some of them do have a vague smell of onions it seems)

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Alt: Those are the same reasons I wrote my 1234th [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I did one for me 2000 and 3000 posts, but not 1000, 4000, 5000, or 6000. If I ever want to do another one, I'll do it then.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Because they reach their 999th post and feeel that they have to save their 1000th post for the landmark, but they have nothing to say. So they create a new name to post.
I find this trend (together with unclear alternate screen names in general) absolutely infuriating.

And what's the big deal about 1k anyway? You'll get another shot at 2k, then 3k... I mean, really. If your 1,000th post goes by with no landmark, big whoop. I let 6k pass me by and I'm going to be letting 7k pass by soon, too. I don't see another landmark in the cards until 10k unless something earth-shattering happens to me.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I agree twinky, but I think that idea has slowly faded as the Landmark has evolved.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of agree with you, twinky. Except that it doesn't infuriate me, I just think it's sort of silly, personally. If you want to write a landmark at a nice round number, good for you. If you write it at some other number, also good for you. Or you can decide not to write one at all.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree with twinky and Teshi (that seems to be a fairly common occurance, actually). I find the focus on writing a landmark at a particular post number to be more than a bit silly. I haven't written a landmark yet, and if I do it's as likely to occur on one post number as another. It'll happen when I feel moved to write one, period.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, twinky.

I wrote mine at 500 posts, because at the time it seemd unlikely that I'd ever get to another interesting round number. I don't think I'll do a 1,000 landmark, but if I don't, I'll just keep posting. *shurg* Whatever makes you happy, just so long as I can figure out who the alternate screen name really is within a day or two.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Haha, Noemon, we posted at exactly the same time. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Noemon, I am looking forward to reading your Landmark, whenever it comes [Smile] ]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the bandwagon. [Smile] No landmark, none in sight, and if I feel moved to write one it'll happen where it happens.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I stick to 000s because I like 000s, but other people can feel free to post landmarks at whatever number they want. [Smile]

I just get sick of not knowing "who" people are when they change names. I've thought about retiring twinky, but if I did I'd do what prolixshore did -- sign my old name to all of my posts so people are aware. That, and I'd probably register my real name anyway, so a lot of people would know.

HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sort of out of the norm. I think landmarks are really interesting and I look forward to writing one. I'm still kind of new though, and I wouldn't feel right about writing one before 500, and maybe even 1000. I guess we'll see how I feel at 500.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
In my case, I always planned to write mine at 1000 posts, because that was the "tradition". I also really wanted to do one, because I like telling stories, and I like talking about myself. [Big Grin] So a landmark post was something I knew I would really enjoy.

And then I realised that given my posting speed, I'd reach 1000 around the time of my 30th birthday, so I decided to combine the two. [Smile] The only reason I used an alternate nick is because I ended up posting more than usual due to Kamacon, so I was "ghost of xnera" for a while. I probably wouldn't have used an alt nick if I wasn't planning on hitting my 1000th post on a certain day; I had the post half-written in my head for about six months before it finally came time to post it.

At this point I'm not planning another landmark, but we'll see when 2000 comes around. Maybe I'll have more to say. I doubt I would use an alt nick at all next time, though, because I'm sure that if I do decide on another landmark, I'll probably start "working" on it well in advance of the actual number.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

HesterGray, I don't think anyone said they don't like landmarks.

But some people dislike the changing of one's forum name to avoid a landmark, that's what I am seeing in the comments above.

[ April 13, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I change names to avoid a '000th post just cause I think its fun. My own personal celebration of kicking shyness in the bum. Plus I get all excited to use different names because I'm all ADD like that. No landmark yet and none in sight [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, so many answers, and so quickly...

[Hat]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of landmarks, I just posted mine!

Five years in the making!

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, but some people change names because they don't want to write one. That doesn't mean they don't like reading them, but it sure seems as if they don't like writing them. I mean that I'm looking forward to writing one.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted mine too!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
But you've gotten a ton more responses. [Cry]
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela, but some people change names because they don't want to write one. That doesn't mean they don't like reading them, but it sure seems as if they don't like writing them. I mean that I'm looking forward to writing one.
Hester, I think you misunderstand why these people are changing names.

My understanding is this:

It's not cause they don't want to write a landmark. It's because they are approaching an "00" number and they want to write a landmark at that "00" number. But they also want to keep posting. So they pick another name to use for continued posting until they are ready to write a landmark under the first name.

I don't actually know of anyone who has changed their name to avoid writing a landmark altogether, though I could be wrong, I guess.

HesterGray
Member # 7384

Oh, OK! *lightbulb*
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they do it because they want to write a landmark, they're just obsessive compulsive enough to want it to be on a round number, and they have this really cool idea but just haven't had the time to finish it yet.

Maybe also they think their interim name is really funny.

:shrug: you got me.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
[innocence] What's a landmark? [/innocence]

Landmarks and their rules and lack thereof have changed as time has gone on. x,000th still holds a place because that's how it began, but all people are entitled to their own reasons for what they post and when they post it. Pretty much if you say it's a landmark, then it's a landmark.

I understand avoiding hitting a "landmark" number for a while, and for many of the reasons listed above, but I'm rather surprised at people who do it for long periods of time. Leading up to my first landmark, I simply waited four days without posting anything. On a later one, I used an alternate name for a day, then decided not to post a landmark, passed 3,000, then decided that my 3,015th post was a landmark. Since I kept the list, I could make such an executive decision several months after the fact.

Having said all that, and having hit 4,999 with this post, I'll now probably shift to an alternate screenname until I decide what to do.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I switched SNs because I had an exact date I wanted to post my landmark on (a year after I joined) and also wanted the number, just because it felt right, and I am a bit OCD, then when I hit 999 there was something i needed to say. But I have fallen in love with that screen name, and use it at school and other places now.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any other names here, so I guess I'm in the minority there. But as far as avoiding landmarks go, I post rarely enough that when I do come upon a landmark, it's nicely timed to coincide with an anniversary of being here and something major happening. I guess my life is just lucky like that.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
OCD prevents me from arbitrary landmarking. I do solemnly swear, however, that this will be my only alternate identity. (Although, by the time I'm ready for my fiazko landmark, I'll probably be ready for this one, too. *sigh*)
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT is why he took the "janitor" job, huh?

Figures.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.