FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you answer the phone at work? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you answer the phone at work?
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
"Budget Office. This is Laura."
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
MSU Merillat, this is Becky.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
"Department of Health, Disease Investigation. This is maui babe."
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to be:

"Thank you for choosing America Online! My name is Nathan, are you calling to set up your FREE trial of America Online?! HUH?! WELL ARE YOU!?!? YOU BETTER BE!!!"

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank you for calling ------- ----, this is ---. How can I help you?"
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
"M Division Office, Stanislawski. How may I help you Sir or Ma'am?"

or if there is equipment noise in the background:

"Stan."

Or if I get handed the phone and it is Cory:

"Hi honey."

(Cory and I try to keep a joking atmosphere on the phone lines with each other. This is because both of us are unmatched for time spent onboard the ship doing actual work. Last we checked I am winning the race.)

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just roll with "This is Mike."

Many of the other engineers I've worked with answer with just their names, either first and last or just last. My last name is too long for that to be convenient, though.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked it was "This is Adrian" because I didn't take calls directly from the public - the calls were routed to me through the receptionist, so they had already heard the "Good Afternoon, thank you for calling _____ how may I direct your call?" spiel.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
"IBM operations, this is Jud."
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Counseling Psychology"
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Work? What is this "work" you speak of? [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sacajawea Gallery, this is Morgan."

Or, every once in a while if my brain is fried, I revert to old jobs: "Thank you for calling Giggles Toys and More, this is Anneke, how can I help you?"

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first time I answered at my last phone-answering job, it was "Trim Tre..., uh, Harvard Trim...Indus... *sharp breath in followed by panicked, pathetic sounding* ...Hullo?"

After that, I usually got it right. [Smile]
"Harvard Industries, Trim Trends division, how may I direct your call?"

Now, my only job is in a lab without a telephone. And I love it that way.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't these much more fun than the typical, "Hello?" you probably say at home?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

I'd have to say no. I like the phone at home because I generally don't have to answer it, because no one has my number. [Big Grin]

I've never liked telephones.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
USDA, this is Chris
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
"Firstname Lastname"
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
"Whaddyou want?"

Or at least I wish I could answer it that way.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
My home phone is rarely answered with "hello".

It's usually "What's up?" or something along that line. The only people that call me are people I know. Besides, I make more outgoing calls than receive calls. My family recognizes my voice right away.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, the one thing I've decided job wise for myself is I do not want a phone job... I just... hate phones for some reason.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"This pizza is 45 minutes late."
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
"For whom does this bell toll?"
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

Astaril, yours is quite a tongue twister. "Trim Trends..." That kind of thing takes practice.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thanks for calling the computer shop, yes we can get that part. Unfortunately, due to the fact that my boss procrastinates more than any person on earth, it won't be ordered until the next time the planets line up...Yes sir, all of them...Well, there may be a chance it can get order by the next Lunar Eclipse in North America, but you'll have to pay extra...Yes sir, Walmart does sell those...Have a nice day, sir."
[/slightly veiled rant]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

[ROFL]
Astaril
Member # 7440

Hester - see, that's what I tried to tell my boss... [Big Grin]

Another time, working at a grocery store, I misunderstood a lady who was calling and thus used the intercom to page the floor cleaning machine to the office to take a phone call. That was a good one that no one forgot in a hurry... [Blushing]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"(My department), this is (my first name)." Simple and boring. It's enough of a battle for me to say that much. Considering I'm a telephonophobe, they're lucky I don't just get up and walk away when the damned thing rings. [Grumble]

And I don't answer my home phone. My answering machine answers it. If it's someone I want to talk to, I'll pick up.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a TA with no office, so I never get phone calls, but I'm posting on this thread because one of my roommate's had a funny one last summer:

"It's great to be at Curves! How may I help you?" [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank you for calling The Roost, this is Jeff speaking. How may I help you?"
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of Office Space.

"Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment. [click] Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment. [click] Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment. . ."

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

In high school, I worked at a McDonald's. Answering the phone was boring, just, "McDonald's." But the drive thru...

One guy would say things like, "Welcome to McDonald's, where every evening is a lovely evening! May I take your order?" And then he'd give people change in McCents. "Twenty McCents is your change, sir."

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh. That reminds me of a friend of mine who worked at McDonalds back in high school. He used to like saying things like, "Thank you for not choosing Taco Bell, can I take your order?"
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Combustion.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

[Laugh] Verily
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Jefferson High School, Family & Consumer Sciences.

I dread answering the phone. But it's rare for it to ring at work. (maybe once a day)

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
With me it's not so much the words I use to answer the phone, but rather the voice. For some reason when I answer the phone, my voice tends to be lower and softer. Rather husky actually - kind of like a phone sex operator (or so I've been told). It probably doesn't help that I tend to say, "Hi, this is Alexis, how may I help you?" either.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Phone: Ring....Ring

LD: Hello?

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"For whom does this bell toll?"
That's from an Anastasia Krumpnik book.

I'm astonished I remember that.

Used to be "Reference, this is Matt."

Now it isn't anything, because I've reverted to unemployed student status.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello"
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hello, <name of school>."

"No, this is not <name of other person in the office, who I apparently sound like on the phone>, it's Mrs. <lastname>. How can I help you?"

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Blood's Morgue. You stab 'em, we slab em.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

[ROFL]
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm at my own desk, I say, "Hello, this is Julie, can I help you?" Then they usually say, "Is this Julie?" or "Oh, I was looking for Miriam." *sigh*

If I'm at the front desk, it's, "YWCA Child Care Solutions. How can I direct your call?" Then they tell me their life story, and I say, "Let me transfer you to your case manager." *sigh*

Social services. *shakes head*

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
"(name of University) Safety and Security, How may I help you?"

Used to be "(name of University) Safety and Security , this is officer 17 speaking, may I help you?"

But our new boss changed all that. Woo!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss says Shalom, even though she's not Jewish either. I don't feel quite comfortable saying that, so I just say "This is Trisha" in a medium to high to low to medium tone pattern.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Considering I'm a telephonophobe, they're lucky I don't just get up and walk away when the damned thing rings.
[ROFL]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oakwood commons, Security, how can I help you?"
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Messenger newsroom, Carol speaking.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is Tom."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's a great day at Petland, this is Jane"

When I used to work for a dog kennel called Shanon's Happy Acres, I answered the phone "Shanon's, how may I help you?" but once when I saw my mom's number on the caller ID I answered with "Shanon's House of Pain, how may we hurt you?"

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.