FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CalvinMaker's Daily Thoughts

Author Topic: CalvinMaker's Daily Thoughts
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday, April 13th, 2005

I must say, I'm not much of a Dr. Pepper fan, but it does go very well with pizza.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
don't try cherry vanilla dr pepper!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the cherry vanilla Dr. P. It's like Dr.P. concentrated. [Smile]

Dr. P. is the only cola I enjoy.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Dr. Pepper. I was almost slaughtered once by blacwolve for it, too. [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
eewwww carbonated prune juice
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday, April 14, 2005

If you wake yourself up at an early hour of the day, you can actually get a lot done.

Too bad I won't be getting a lot done.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a lot done, but because you're so sleepy, somebody has to do it all over again anyway, so you might as well sleep in.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the excuses my students try. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Dr Pepper. I'm weaning myself off the caffeine, though. I've been drinking diet for a few months - since the beginning of the year.

I used to say, "diet caffeine-free Dr Pepper? No sugar, no caffeine - what's the point in that?"

Now I just drink my diet pop and enjoy what pleasure I have left.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Sith don’t believe in sleep.

Only sleep when they want to. Only do anything when they want to. No one dares redo our work since it is always right no matter what.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Friday, April 15th, 2005

Caffeine Pills and Mountain Dew are great when you need to stay awake, be it for driving somewhere, staying up to study for a test, or who knows what.

Only problem is, eventually that need ends, and often you still have lots of caffeine in your system, keeping you up for even longer.

And even more, the entire time you still feel tired, just an awake-tired sort of trance.

There needs to be some kind of pill invented that will keep you awake like caffeine, but when you want to go to sleep, you take a second pill that de-activates the first pill.

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Saturday, April 16th 2005

I think the fact that we can play music whenever we want due to the new innovations of technology (record players, tape players, cd's, mp3's, etc) is fantastic. I think it helps appreciation for music immensely, and I love being able to listen to music whenever I want. Also, it allows me to listen to far more different kinds of music and bands then I normally would be able to.

The one thing about it that makes me kind of sad is the fact that it somewhat cheapens the concert experiance. I would imagine that going to a concert used to be the only way to really hear music, so the experiance must have been something really special. The anticipation of going to a concert and the feeling during and afterwards must have been heightened moreso than today, where we can just pop on a cd and hear some music.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I can just pop in a CD at any time and listen to some music, I don't have the same emotional response as I do when I see a performance live. There are so many combinations of place and time and situation that nothing really stands out. But when I go to a concert or a play, that's a finite set of associations, and very often a vastly different set of responses. And sometimes listening to a recording of that music later will evoke an echo of the original, but it's never exactly the same.

For example, in preparation for going to see Les Mis last week with my mother, because I had absolutely no idea what the show was about, I borrowed the soundtrack CD from my library and read the libretto while I listened. It helped me to figure out the story so I was not completely lost when I sat down in the theater. But there was virtually no emotional response to that recording. Seeing it live, actually SEEING the action during the barricade scene and the final scene, I was much more intimately affected - to the point of tears when Fantine and Eponine came on stage in the final scene. Now when I listen to the soundtrack, I remember how that felt, but I'm nowhere close to experiencing it again.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

A lot of times it's not the actual doing work that's so difficult. it's the getting yourself to sit down and actually start that's the hard part.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.