FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Very welcome laughing happy."

Author Topic: "Very welcome laughing happy."
Mahabarata
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Mahabarata           Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite quotation, from Xenocide page 470.
Please tell me yours.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago when the earth was green
And there were more kinds of animals than you'd ever seen
There were cats n rats n elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the Unicorn

-- Shel Silverstein

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

(No current favorite quotes, but I like yours and Goody's.)

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
"Merely to live, merely to exist, what sense is there to it? A fly also lives."
- Chaim Potok, The Chosen

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure if we were supposed to put our favorite quote, or our favorite quote from Xenocide, or our favorite quote from Xenocide page 470. [Smile]

I like this one.

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice. Not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death. But because he is the reason I believe in God."

- so begins A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Valerie:
quote:
I'm not a witch; I'm your wife!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two personal favorites:

"A free and open society is an ongoing conflict, interrupted periodically by compromises."
-- Saul Alinsky

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
-- Douglas Adams

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
"when you drive in reverse, things come from behind!"

-Snatch

[ April 14, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Ramdac99 ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
"We have to go. I'm almost happy here."
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."
-Abraham Lincoln

A rebuttal:

"Walk? That wasn't part of the deal!"
-Homer Simpson

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite quote:

"Today must be Thursday," Arthur said to himself sinking lower over his beer, " I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
dontbother@firewall.set [Cool]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
My faves.

A choice few:
"Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt."
-Tolkien

"Check your premises."
-Ayn Rand

"Me no know art, but me know what me like."
-Cookie Monster

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thursday? It can't be Thursday. It simply can't. It's too gruesome." Holly Golightly

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," replied the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are real, you don't mind being hurt."

"I don't want to dance!" said the Rabbit. "I'd rather sit still!" But all the while, he was longing to dance.

More later.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
Il faut bien que je supporte deux ou trois chenilles si je veux connaître les papillons.
-Le Petit Prince

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
And so it is men, rejoicing in reason, powerful in speech, possessed of an immortal soul but of mortal limbs; of fickle and fearful mind, of sluggish and vulnerable body, of diverse characters and similar errors, of unrelenting audacity, of unremitting hope, of vain labour and fragile fortune; individually mortal, collectively everlasting as a race, successively mutable through the provision of offspring, speedy in lifespan, slow in wisdom, swift to die, discontent to live -- it is men who inhabit the earth.

--Apuleius, de deo socratis

I love that quote so much, I have no idea why.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a monumental idea, but I didn't like it.
- Samuel Goldwyn

(That's probably not actually my favourite, but it's a good one.)

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mahabarata
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Mahabarata           Edit/Delete Post 
When winter first begins to bite
and stones crack in the frosty night
when pools are black and trees are bare
´tis evil in the Wild to fare

Tolkien, "Fellowship of the Ring"

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are ugly, and disgustingly
fat. But, tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober."

No need to elaborate.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.