FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Folk från Norden, titta hit.

Author Topic: Folk från Norden, titta hit.
Mahabarata
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Mahabarata           Edit/Delete Post 
Ville bara se hur många vi var.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ikke så mange tror jeg. Kanskje maks 10. Jeg er fra Norge, forresten.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Flugufrelsarinn
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some Translation Site:

Title: People från (from?) North , look does not hit.

M: Savage bare-armed see hur många we stayed.

St Yogi: No matter saw a good many believing I. May maximal 10. I'm at Norway , come to think of it.

My Translation:

Title: People from the North, come in here.

M: We are still savage bare-armed hairy people!

St Yogi: I think there are a bunch of people. Maximum 10. I'm from/in Norway, come to think of it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Krumkake! Trondheim! A-Ha!

Okay, I'm sorry. I'll stop. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

edit: This is what was actually said:

quote:
Title: People from the north, look here.
quote:
Mahabarata(In Swedish): Just wanted to see how many we are.
quote:
St. Yogi(In Norwegian): I don't think there are that many. Maximum 10. I'm from Norway, by the way.

Close, Teshi [Smile]

[ April 14, 2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, don't just say close! What did you actually say?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

I didn't quote you, I posted the correct translations [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

*dies*

[Embarrassed] [Cry]

Okay. From now on, I'm going to pay more attention and think before I type.

[Wall Bash]

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are still savage bare-armed hairy people!
quote:
Just wanted to see how many we are.
Hmmm... I like Teshi's translation better.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

It wasn't me that decided it would say that, it was the translator, I just filled in the blanks. Besides, a lot of people originally from the North like to say how big and blonde and hairy they are.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in your defense Teshi, they really are still savage bare-armed hairy people.

[Edit--my post would have been much funnier if it had fallen where I originally intended it. Curse you Annie and Teshi, with your typing skillz.

[ April 14, 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
My father's grandmother was from Sweden. So I'm part Scandinavian. Does that count?

I'm also from Alaska. I live in a latitude farther north than Oslo or Stockholm. Does that count?

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a savage, bare-armed, hairy person.

And by that I mean Norwegian.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
My father's grandmother was from Sweden. So I'm part Scandinavian. Does that count?

I'm also from Alaska. I live in a latitude farther north than Oslo or Stockholm. Does that count?

Are you hairy? And bare armed?

[ April 14, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Montana and all my neighbors are Norskes. Does that count?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Norwegian translator:

Ville = savage, savages, want, will, would
Bara = bare-armed

Swedish translator:

Ville = Would
Bara = Only, mere

The sentence in question, by translator:

"Would just look how many we were."

So yeah, that makes more sense! [Smile]

Also, if an English speaker adopts an accent and says that same question, it actually kind of sounds like it might in English [Smile] .

[ April 14, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Bare-armed? Sometimes. Hairy? Well, not so much. But I drink mead, so that should count for something.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
My maternal grandmother's family is Swedish. And my husband is half Norwegian as these things are reckoned. I am not particularly hairy, though, and am far too self-consious to go completley bare-armed.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

If Jesus had been a Norvegian
Things would be so different today
Instead of Matthew, Mark and Luke an John
We'd have Sven and Lars and Ole

Walkin' on the water
Would be no special trick
Cause all over Norvay
The ice is awful thick

If Jesus was a Norske
We'd all eat lutefisk
We'd have lefse for communion
And there'd be no Methodists

If you want to say "Amen!"
We're not gonna letcha
At the end of every prayer, we'd shout:
"Yah, sure, you betcha!"

-Ringling 5, If Jesus Had Been a Norwegian

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
But I drink mead, so that should count for something.
Do you at least drink it savagely? Maybe fresh squeezed from the teats of a magic goat or something?
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

If it's mead, I think it should properly be squeezed from the teats of a magic drunk bee.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I drink it out of wooden goblets. Once I even drank it while I was eating ribs. And you can't eat ribs not-savagely. That's just how it is.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
If it's mead, I think it should properly be squeezed from the teats of a magic drunk bee.
You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.

[ April 14, 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, wood is good, but I don't know about goblets. Get a rough hewn wooden tankard, though, and between it and the rib eating you'll be in like Flynn.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, really it should be a hollow horn drinking cup.

EDIT: Wow, this is post 3999! It seems like only a few weeks ago I was at 3000!

[ April 14, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Oh, I'm sure there are some folks that neatly cut the meat off the bone with a knife and fork and eat it delicately, dabbing their lips with the corner of their napkin after every bite and holding out their pinkies as they sip their beverage.

But they're pansies! I tear off the flesh with my teeth and gnaw the bone when I'm done. I'm a Northman, by Odin's beard!

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

quote:
You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.
Sigh. I guess I'm not a true Norske. I just listened to too much ABBA in utero.
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Oh, I'm sure there are some folks that neatly cut the meat off the bone with a knife and fork and eat it delicately, dabbing their lips with the corner of their napkin after every bite and holding out their pinkies as they sip their beverage.
Heh, I do that sometimes, when I'm in a particularly dainty mood. It also prevents meat from sticking between my teeth and braces, which is not always the most attractive look...
Noemon
Member # 1115

It may not be attractive, but if the meat is rare enough it's certainly going to be a savage look!

You're right about the hollow drinking horn, by the way--I was seduced into counting a wooden drinking vessel by the phrase "rough hewn", but hollow horns are definitely where it's at.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, but my northern blood is muted by the Mongrel Brit in me, so the savage bloodied teeth look is not what I am going for. All that rain has diluted my savage Norman, Anglo-Saxon nature and made it soggy...
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, heh, heh... titel bovengenoemde "titta".
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

But if you're putting in the effort to have your teeth straightened you can't be *too* British.
Teshi
Member # 5024

That's true, sadly.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Oh, I thought the "you'd be wrong" thing was about the ribs. It didn't have a quote, originally.

*wonders how to say "my bad" in Old Norse*

In any case, braces are no excuse! Bloody Normans, getting the mother island all Frenchified. Pansy Norman-lovers, with their "napkins" and their "wine glasses" and their "forks". Real Saxons don't care if they get meat in their braces. It just means you can have leftovers for later!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I was posting too slowly at that point to keep up with the thread, so it was pretty ambiguous what I was referring to until I edited in the quote.
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

quote:
Bloody Normans, getting the mother island all Frenchified.
You do know, of course, that the Normans were actually transplanted Vikings. (hence the name) Not very French at all, except linguistically.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

[Roll Eyes]

I know perfectly well who and what the Normans were, thank you. I was joking.

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

OK. [Smile]

*stabs Verily with a baguette*

Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I doesn't seem to be very many people from Scandinavia here. To bad. (as you would guess, I'm from Sweden)
Oh, and nice translations [Big Grin]
And here comes another one; Och om ni undrar, så är jag och Mahabarata tvillingbröder.

[ April 15, 2005, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Swede ]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

*grabs the baguette and slays a boar with it*

*eats the boar*

*and the baguette*

Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

Bloody Saxons.
Swede
Member # 7560

Mahabarata, check this thread out "Set of 4 LOTR funnies" [ROFL]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bloody Saxons.
Racism, I say!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

OK, "LOTR funnies again" then, Mahabarata

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.