FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grab your telescopes for the fourth of July

Author Topic: Grab your telescopes for the fourth of July
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2005-04-13-csm-nasa-comet_x.htm

quote:

NASA's plans do indeed have something to do with a birth: not just the birth of the United States, but our entire solar system.

This July 4th, NASA is going to smash a comet, and observe the material that flies off in the explosion. The name of this mission is, appropriately enough, Deep Impact, and when it whops into the comet Tempel 1 this summer, the resulting smash will be equivalent to blowing up 4.8 tons of TNT, and is expected to blow a football stadium-sized crater about 7 stories deep into the dirty ice of the comet.

Up until now, we've only been able to study the material near the surface of comets ā€” the stuff blown off in the tail or, more recently, a few near encounters with the icy body itself. But the surface material has been altered over time: blasted by the Sun's heat each time a comet makes its rounds through our solar system. If we want to see a pristine sample of the stuff of our early selves, we've got to dig down. Or even better, blast down!

The idea behind the Deep Impact mission is this: send a spacecraft to intercept the comet Tempel 1and launch some ballistic object at it to carve out a crater deep enough to get down to the pure, unaltered comet material beneath the surface. While that's going on, observe the chemistry of the comet before, during, and after the impact, and study the structure of the crater for clues about how the comet is made up.

How [Cool]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Big Grin]

WHEEE!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
So we're going around destroying bits of the solar system now?!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
human nature...
We don't know,
we destroy...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
And through destroying, we know more.

It's the best of both worlds!

[Cool]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, guess we already blew up everything on this planet...time to move on," he imagined someone saying.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I can get some decent instructions on how to view this thing. Also, I hope it happens at night. If I could actually see the impact it would be way cooler than anything else I've seen through my telescope.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
From the article:

quote:
Unfortunately, you'll need a telescope to see it, as the explosions will take place over 268 million miles away
I dont really know far the average telescope can see? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
millions of light-years, if the object's bright enough.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Future news report:

"The trajectory of Tempel 1 was drastically changed due to the scientific endeavors of NASA. The resulting trajectory is now predicted as Earth, and ironically has a 90 percent chance of having NASA head quarters be the exact center of the objects impact. Scientists are now scrambling."

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm invisioning that to be the plot of a film coming to a theatre near you.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like something my one-year-old would think up. "What is it? I don't know. Let's knock a hole in it and see!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we dissected worms, and frogs, and some eventually graduated to human cadavers. Why is this any different? Lewis and Clark sent back samples of all the new wildlife they discovered west of the Mississippi...badgers and mule deer and birds. When the object of your study is moving at a million miles a second, and you want to know what it's made of, what else would you do? We don't have Star Trek sensors yet.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Something seems really scary about this whole thing.... I mean, I wouldn't want people shooting ducks that were flying over my head.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What if the comet has an alien observation center at the core? We could be declaring war unintentionally.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

Let's hope so. [Cool]
LilBee91
Member # 7475

- posted      Profile for LilBee91           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a telescope.
The sky will probably be perfectly clear.
It will look awesome.
And it will be way to light out all night to see a single thing.
*curses Alaska summer*
*seriously considers going to Antarctica for the Fourth of July*
*decides against it...airfare is probably too much*

[ April 14, 2005, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: LilBee91 ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this real?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
This should be cooler than that time I saw Mars. [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
From www.nasa.gov

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/main/index.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome! I hope they learn something from this that will help with our eventual asteroid defense program.

Don't worry about hurting things.... comets are icy snowballs whose usual home is way out past Pluto where it's extremely cold and very dark. Every so often something perturbs the orbit of one of these things and they fall inward toward the Sun. It's just a big snowball, miniature compared to the size of the Earth. It's doomed to melt and evaporate in the warmer regions of the inner solar system anyway. And the trajectory is not going to be anywhere close to Earth.

We need to understand the solar system, to learn as much as we can about it, in order to get ready to go out and inhabit it. This is a great mission!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.