FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Digital Fortress - SPOILERS PREVALENT INSIDE

Author Topic: Digital Fortress - SPOILERS PREVALENT INSIDE
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading books like Digital Fortress by Dan Brown make me appreciate even more the authors like Card. This book was so disappointing. While I thought The Da Vinci Code was overhyped I did like Angels and Demons so I gave this book a shot. Having a technical background I was interested to see what Brown's depth of detail would be on a subject he doesn't seem readily familiar. Unfortunately Brown's attempt is a let down.

As always the book is about moving through the action as fast as possible without any character development. The attention to detail is poor and the story is easily guessed. The cryptology theory was something that could be easily read out of the Idiots Guide to Cryptography. Now I may have been jaded after reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson but that does not excuse the poor work produced by Brown.

With that said, I can only thank OSC for his excellent writing. Not only are his characters well developed, his research is always solid, and the ideas he extrapolates from those ideas are always very intriguing.

[ April 15, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Syrjay ]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] OSC [Hail]
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Orson spoils us all. Because we've read his works we come to expect things from writers that are unreasonable - like, oh...I don't know...good writing?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I credit my teen years literary spoilage to Mr. Card, and recently my adult spoilage to Mr. George R. R. Martin.

Because of him, every page of a book must be imortant in some way, and if a character escapes a death defying situation more than twice without dying I get disgusted. Its so much more fun when your favorite character really IS in danger. [Edit out vague spoiler]

Edit: Yeah, Digital Fortress was crap. I liked Da Vinvi Code for being the fluff it was, but Digital Fortress wasn't even good fluff.

[ April 15, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Digital Fortress is the only Dan Brown book I've read, and barring my being locked in featureless cell for months on end with only a copy of his collected works for company it's the only Dan Brown book I'll ever read. I can't think of a way in which the book didn't suck, frankly.

There are plenty of great authors out there (and on my shelves and storage boxes) waiting for me. No need to waste my time on tripe like this.

[ April 15, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Edited at Belle's suggestion]

[Further Edited because I'd really hate to spoil that book for anyone.]

[ April 15, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
[Edited as to not ruin the books for those who haven't had the pleasure of reading them]

[ April 15, 2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: His Savageness ]

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I'll join the edit crew. [Smile]

[ April 15, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

You know what - Noemon, you should probably edit your post and say spoilers of ASOIAF follow.

Some people who haven't read ASOS might be a little shocked.

Xavier
Member # 405

Yikes!

Guys, I was being intentionally vague. If my post causes people to be spoiled on ASOIAF I will never forgive myself.

But yes, those two.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've edited my post, but I'm seriously considering deleting it--you guys are right; I'd feel horrible if I ruined that book for someone. Not sure what I was thinking.

Yeah, I think I'll delete it. Those of you who made reference to the other character that Xavier was referring to might want to do the same, or at least mark your messages with spoiler warnings.

Xavier
Member # 405

Syrjay, I know it may be too much to ask, but could you put a "ASOIAF Spoilers" or something similar to this in the thread title?

I never expected my comment to spawn so much spoilerage [Wink] .

Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Done.

I really enjoy George R.R. Martin's work as well. I hate the fact the books take years to be released but his work is so detailed and intricate. As far as what happens to his characters that only adds in the reality and soaks you into the work. Love it.

My four favorite science fiction/fantasy writers are ole Uncle Orson, Tad Williams, Neal Stephenson, and George RR Martin.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mine would probably be Maureen McHugh, George R. R. Martin, Octavia Butler, and Card. Others that just *almost* make that list are LeGuin, Pat Murphy, Howard Waldrop, and William Sanders.

Edit--Oh, and Tad Williams.

[ April 15, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Xavier
Member # 405

Okay, almost good. Now perhaps you wanna change your comment about the character you mention by name Belle? (who was an even bigger surprise to me than the first one)
Belle
Member # 2314

Done. [Smile]
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read the new Tad Williams book Shadowmarch? I'm reading it right now and it's pretty good, although me thinks I detect some ASOIAF influences in it.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yay! Thanks all, now get your butts over to my spoiler thread! (which happens to be BY FAR my largest thread in the 5+ years I've been here)
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've looked at Shadowmarch a couple of times, but somehow it doesn't look interesting--just seems like your typical, generic fantasy. Williams is a good author, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more to it than that, but there are so many other things that I'm wanting to read that I doubt I'll get to it during this decade.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Digital Fortress is the only Dan Brown book I've read, and barring my being locked in featureless cell for months on end with only a copy of his collected works for company it's the only Dan Brown book I'll ever read. I can't think of a way in which the book didn't suck, frankly.
Change Digital Fortress to Angels and Demons for me.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Your spoiler thread is definitely a great one by the way Xavier. It's right up there with a coupld of the Firefly threads in terms of the enjoyment I've gotten out of it.
Xavier
Member # 405

Thanks [Smile] . I'd like to take complete credit for it, but if I remember right, it was Frisco's idea. He was just too lazy I think...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.