FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tornados are bad publicity

Author Topic: Tornados are bad publicity
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
..or at least that is what they used to think

Tornado gag order

and I thought government control was bad now.... geesh!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
*makes note not to move to Kansas*
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Tornados are the least of the problem here. And if you'll note, Kansas had a record number of tornados, but not a single death last year.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody died in Kansas last year? There must be something in the water. [Wink]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
*thpppppbbbbbbbbt*

Tornados did not cause a single death in Kansas last year.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no darwin award eligibility there, unless you are saying that walking down the street is a stupid thing to do.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
If ya don't like what the weatherman says, starve his budget.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We saw an example just this week. On Monday, the SPC issued a PDS Tornado Watch (a special tornado watch beginning with the phrase, "This is Particularly Dangerous Situation...") for most of the state of Louisiana. All of their computer models were predicting intense thunderstorms that could spawn strong tornados. What happened? Several reports of medium-sized hail and one F0 (weak) tornado*. People were not too happy.

I, for one, hope they continue to use the special PDS tornado watches. Ordinary people don't have to be told what it is, but it's important to place special emphasis when the potential is there. People in charge of event planning and outdoor activities should especially know what it means.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Someday I want to see a tornado. Their was one running up a major highway last year in my town and I wanted to drive out their but my parents stopped me. [Frown]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty Damned Scary might be a better phrasing...

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We got enough tornadoes in Georgia when I was a kid that I never get complacent about 'em. Though, living in New Hampshire, storms aren't likely to really give good tornado changes. We had a microburst once, that was cool. We thought it was a tornado, but the government weather folks came and looked and said the pattern of downed trees was a microburst, not a tornado.

But man, as a kid, we had tornado drills all the freaking time. One time we ended up in the hallway for three hours with our books over our heads as tornadoes passed near us. Bleah.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someday I want to see a tornado. Their was one running up a major highway last year in my town and I wanted to drive out their but my parents stopped me.
No, you don't. I've seen one and I have to tell you, I would rather experience the Northridge earthquake again. I'm glad that your parents stopped you. While the idea of facing danger can be exhilerating, if you don't understand the dangers and something unexpected happens you can very easily get killed or seriously injured. If your interest goes beyond simple curiosity, for example you want to study such phenomena, then get proper training as a storm chaser/watcher. At least then you may be prepared for the different kinds of dangers you might face with tornadoes and severe storms.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Penguin -- as DavidR said....... no, you don't want to see one.

I used to feel exactly as you are expressing here -- I had lived in Kansas all my life and hadn't ever seen one and always hoped too.

Then one day I got to see one - quite up close and personal, heading directly toward me (and my kids).

At that point, there is no thinking "Cool! Let me get my camera!" or anything like that.

All your brain thinks is "I'm gonna die!"

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally read this thread title as "Tomatoes are bad publicity."

Something is seriously wrong with me.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
David R. you felt the Northridg Earthquake? So did I. I also happened to see the Moore, OK tornado that is still the largest on record. I was miles away but it was so huge you could see it pretty clearly.

AJ
(So far I've missed hurricanes and blizzards though. But given my luck, a blizzard is due for the Chicago area soon.)

AJ

[ April 15, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I was stationed at El Toro Marine Corps Air Station at the time in Orange County. Not so bad that far away, but enough to scare the bejeesus out of a first timer. The only real damage that I saw where I lived was a bent hydraulic jack that was supporting one of our F-18's which was having it's nose gear replaced.

The tornado that I saw was in Tennessee. Some of my friends and I were driving back to base, not listening to the radio, when we saw a tornado coming toward us along the highway. Fortunately we reached an off ramp before we reached the tornado and drove at a 90 degree angle from the path of the tornado as fast as we could. I'm not sure what we would have done if there hadn't been a way to get off of the highway. None of us had ever actually seen a tornado before, though several of us had grown up with tornado watches and warnings. I suppose that we would have probably tried to get turned around or found an underpass but I have since learned that trying to outrun a tornado doesn't always work and underpasses are notoriously bad places to try to wait out a tornado. Note that the tornado that I saw was pretty small as tornado's go but it scared me much more that the earthquake a few years later did.

When I was young I remember helping tie down our shed and put tape on all the windows because a possible hurricane. This was when I lived in Rhode Island. We didn't actually get hit by the hurricane but there was a lot of rain and wind.

[ April 15, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: DavidR ]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
The PDS watches around here were right on the money. I also hope they keep issuing them.

I mentioned the PDS watch in a crisis meeting I went to in February. The FEMA guy had never heard of them and copied a lot notes while I spoke about them.

quote:
Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm forecasting is actually a huge publicity nightmare for the NWS Storm Prediction Center. If they put out a warning for big scary thunderstorms and the storms are only mildly scary, people get complacent next time they forecast big scary thunderstorms.
The NWS has redefined what a severe thunderstorm is for this storm season. The hail has to be larger and the wind stronger. Too many false alarms last year.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smith said he conducted a study of the financial impact of a tornado warning issued for Sedgwick County on April 11, 2002. Wichita was never threatened -- skies over the eastern half of the city never even clouded up -- but people still left stores and restaurants and headed for shelter. Smith determined that the warning cost Wichita $1 million in retail purchases and perhaps $55,000 in tax revenues.
This is one of those business statistics that really bugs me. Why on earth did we have to calculate the "lost sales?" What, is the bottom line so important that we're going to grind the weatherman's nose so he doesn't ever err on the side of caution?

[Mad]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Look back at the thread title, Annie.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someday I want to see a tornado.
Me too. I dream about them all the time.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

It's ridiculous to talk of "lost sales and lost sales tax revenues" when those purchases are gonna be made eventually anyways.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I keep seeing the thread title as "Tomatos are bad publicity"? [Wall Bash]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Cuz whoever designed the spacing&letters&symbols for computer monitor viewing was a complete dolt.
rn m rn m rn m rn m rn m rn m That was RN M RN M RN M RN M RN M RN M
And I still find it extremely irritating that I can't indent the beginning of paragraphs without writing code.

[ April 16, 2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.