FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Tax Day!!

Author Topic: Happy Tax Day!!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I can be happy because the IRS sent me a letter telling that I shouldn't even bother filing if I'm not making more than I was last year. Well, I'm not. No filing for me.

Actually, this means I'm dirt poor and a student. Drat. [Wink]

May you all reach the post office on time!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure they don't want you to file because you might get a return? Have you paid any taxes? If so, you should see if you get a refund.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. If you worked at ALL, you can get Earned Income Credit.

A little side note, I redid the taxes with H&R Block's free file site instead of the other site I had clicked on from the IRS's free file page. The H&R Block program did it right and we ended up with a small refund that was enough to pay for doing the state taxes with H&R Block, too. Very happy about it.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Refund already in the bank.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My refund appeared this morning in my account. I've already tucked it away in the EuropeCon fund.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What, not the LankaCon fund? I'm so hurt. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We'd call that the quidCon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Next major trip is over the other ocean, for sure. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
QuidCon, LankaCon, same thing. It's scheduled for 2006, so start saving now!

Although, depending on how many people actually come over, we may be able to squeeze all half dozen of you in various spare rooms in our house. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kata, that's GREAT! [Smile]

My taxes have been done for a couple months, but I've been waiting until today (actually, I meant to send them yesterday, but no biggie) because I owe the IRS much money. No penalties, though, because I'm making more than last year, and did have a not-unreasonable amount withheld. (Actually, the main reason I owe 'em is because I'm not getting any kid credits this year -- but that's just for this year.)

So I guess I'm glad this year I made enough to get taxed bunches? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No kid credits? You didn't eat all your kids again, did you? [No No]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] How do they split 3 kids? My parents only had 2, so my dad claimed my brother and my mom claimed me. Or the other way around. Whatever.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

rivka, yes. [Smile] I'm very happy about it. [Smile]

Thanks for calling me Kata, by the way. [Smile] In a thread the other day people were calling me Kat. I forgot to correct them. Kat=Katharina! [Smile]

I just had a homemade burger and tater tots for lunch.

Random bits of knowledge, yes.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I thought I recalled that we had decided you would be shortened to Kata to be distinct from kat. [Smile]

No, I did not eat my children. For various support-related issues, I was convinced to let the ex have all three this year (I had all three last year). In future, it will likely be 1-and-2, but I don't remember if that's one of the issues that stayed resolved or is being renegotiated again.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Refund already in the bank.
For us it's more like "Trip to Iowa already taken."
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yes, we did. My thanking you was my subtle way of reminding anyone who called me Kat yesterday who might fly by this thread.

I'm such a dork. [Smile]

-Katarain

rivka
Member # 4859

I figured. I was reinforcing.

I'm such a teacher. [Big Grin]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Online filing is the path, dudes.

My Jehovah's Witness study partner brought some treats for my kids yesterday. It must be hard to find a day that isn't commemorated by someone to give a gift on. I almost joked about it be penultimate tax day, but decided not to.Q:)

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Yeah. Online filing rocks. Last year, we paid nearly $300 to get taxes done in the H&R Block office. This year, Federal was free, and State was under $30. Huge savings.

It was with great reluctance that I even used the H&R Block site, but after the CompleteTax.com site and they were claiming we owed over $100, I knew I had to use H&R Block. After I was done, I made some comment about paying so much last year and my husband looked at me and said, you _really_ don't like H&R Block, do you?? But oh well.. they deserved praise this year.

Oh, the problem with CompleteTax.com: every time I would change/add a deduction, the refund would stay EXACTLY the same. I changed our education expenses from the lifetime credit to the education deduction and it made NO difference at all. But on H&R Block's site, it made a huge difference--as it should.

So go them.

-Katarain

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Kata, my hubby is in complete agreement with you; he thinks the people in the actual offices tend to not know as much as they should (since they're probably seasonal employees brought in simply to deal with the rush). We owed a ton last year, because of some withholding problems (he insists it's their fault, though).
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Well, I'm definitely not going to dispute that point. The seasonal employees often don't have a clue. I wasn't saying that, though. My complaint with the office people (and the guy we got was good) is that it cost SOOOOO much! It was ridiculous. They did a fine job, though.

But I know that is not the norm.

The place that really almost screwed me up this year, was the CompleteTax.com site.

-Katarain

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We e-filed in January with TurboTax for the Web, and got to use it free becuase our income is low. Our refund was direct-deposited in our account 10 days later. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, e-filed with H&R Block - actually got a refund of twice what was deducted in taxes.

Mind you, its all going to the IRS to pay off my Federal student loans, but oh well. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
H&R Block forced me to learn how to do my own taxes. Granted, the only abnormality I have is student loan interest, but I am an idiot when it comes to taxes and insurance. However, I'm currently working for the state tax department keying in returns, and I am amazed at some people. If you're going to do your own taxes, at least read the instructions.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I used turbo tax...and found that the government owed me 40 bucks this year. Its always good to get some of your money back instead of having to pay more.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I love TurboTax. I've used it since I started filing returns, and it's very easy. A little more complicated this year, but we only had one or two questions, and with an aunt who's a CPA, we had free advice on what to do. [Big Grin]
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I filed electronically. The Federal return was free, but I had to pay for the state return, $10. I thought it was reasonable.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No state returns in Texas. One of the good things about living here. [Cool]
Katarain
Member # 6659

My return from my state was more than I paid, and more than the federal return. Instead of calling it Earned Income Credit, they call it Low Income Credit.

I was surprised.

-Katarain

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The IRS website has links to sites that will do federal returns for free for almost every state. Different sites for each state, I'm sure, and Illinois had a couple options. And then I file my state return from the state Dept. of Revenue site, also for free.

Just something to keep in mind for next year...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aunty Eem
Member # 7743

- posted      Profile for Aunty Eem   Email Aunty Eem         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote my stupid $300+ check last night. [Cry] As Ryuko said " Mom why do you have to pay so much,your poor" Ask the state of Minnesota. I can't figure it out.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy my brother's birthday!!

[Party]

Everyone always remembers his birthday because it's on tax day.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonardo Da Vinci is your brother?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no. But he's as cool as, if not cooler than, Mr. Da Vinci. [Big Grin]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.