FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bounce, Bounce, Bounce

Author Topic: Bounce, Bounce, Bounce
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wonders of Bounce !
1. All this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer! It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It also repels mice.

2. Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

3. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.

4. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.

6. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your TV screen or computer screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.

7. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce.

8. To freshen the air in your home - Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.

9. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.

10. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.

11. Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.

12. To freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

13. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.

14. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.

15. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

16. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

17. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

18. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.

19. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.

20. Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.

21. Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. It will keep them smelling fresh.

Bounce away not only odors, but small rodents and insects? I don't know whether to be thrilled or run in fear at the possibilities!

[ April 16, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
"I can only express puzzlement that borders on alarm."

in other words, wow

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have nightmares about that commercial... scary bottle with scary picture falling on scary towels...
[Angst]

or was that downy?

[ April 16, 2005, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
does this have a link somewhere?
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

4. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season

I'm somehow not believing this will work. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

I don’t know where my SiL got the original list, but this one is pretty similar.

Stormy- You know you want to run right out and test the theory!

eHow.com
16. Camper's quick mosquito prevention Doug
Campers and fishermen may not remember dryer sheets (which work well, by the way), so I've found something you can remember and that works better - vanilla extract. I've got a small vial in my tackle box. It works well on bare skin, like face and arms.

18. Bounce repellant G.T. Hemingway, Sr.
I have found that "Bounce" dryer sheets have proven to be an effective repellant against mosquitoes. Tuck one in a belt loop or under your cap when outdoors to keep the blood suckers at bay and smell "dryer fresh" all day!

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
22) Turns liberals into neo"conservative"s.

[ April 16, 2005, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone had a lot of time on there hands to figure all that out.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Booiiing!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Used bounce sheets are great for cleaning whiteboards.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.
Why in the world would anybody want to do that?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Snopes is still researching this one, but the mosquito bit, at least, isn't true.

I'd imagine most of the "freshening" things are about right, though I'm not sure how long they'd be effective.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
13. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.

This one IS true, particularly for burnt on food. Use very hot water, a bounce sheet, and soak overnight.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone could confirm the mosquito one, and was gonna check snopes. That would've been helpful.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta wonder how all those chemicals affect your skin, lungs, and other bodily systems.

Mwahahaha *evil grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If you attach a sheet of Bounce to a couple of strings, it makes a really sexy, sweet-smelling thong.

Or so I learned from Martha Stewart ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
EW! (the thong thing)

I was hoping this thread would be about Tigger...

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Tigger uses Bounce.

Does all this necessarily have to be Bounce? Wouldn't it work with any dryer sheet? I can attest for the dryer sheet in the stinky shoes. It works.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
All of these should work equally well with Brand X dryer sheets.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Ugh! Martha Stewart and dryer sheet thongs all in the same thought. I'm afraid that this might be one of those time release images that will pop-up at the most inappropriate times. Sort of like Bob-Scopatz's chain mail underwear.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The more cynical part of me thinks these things are spread by the manufacturers as a way to make outlandish claims to increase sales with no liability for false advertising.

But then, I'm half convinced that anti-virus software companies are responsible for many of the the viruses on the net.

[ April 17, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm not the only cynical one that thinks that about the antivirus companies!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Chain mail underwear, hmmm. Two strings and that offensive letter, voila!

Sadly, *I* think these thoughts are hilarious!

[ April 17, 2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder what MacGyver could do with a dryer sheet.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are exhaling anything with a particularly noticeable smell, stuff Bounce sheets into an empty toilet paper roll and breathe out the tube.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Two strings and that offensive letter
Oh, that kind of chain mail. When I read "chain mail underwear", I thought of something else. Something much less comfortable. [Angst]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Verily, you were right...the original chain mail underware was refering to the same kind of chain mail armor can be made out of. I believe it first came up in one of the Wenches' Tavern threads.

[ April 17, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just thought it was interesting to note that someone tested a bunch of these and told Snopes about it. Surprise, surprise; most of them aren't true.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actuyally, over half of them were...and a few of tehm probably were, but they couldn't tell for sure.

I KNOW that suitcases have a smell to them after a while, and a few sheets kept in them can and does work wonders. That was just one of the things I have tried that DID work that the tester was "unsure" of....

Another thing...about the trashcan..you aren't suppose to put it in teh bag, but under the bag in the basket itself. It DOES work, keeps it from stinking if a littl e stuff leaks into the basket itself.

Now as far as some of the other, more outlandish stuff, I have no idea....and no plans to try and find out either.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.