FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superheroes

Author Topic: Superheroes
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's your favorite? And why?

I'll start:

Batman - beacuse he wasn't "led by his destiny" to become a superhero, it was his choice and he defined his fate. The dark suit, the high technology... It's like a combination of Dexter and a good-looking Darth Vader.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*Waits for someone to do "Superherpes" as a Dobie.*
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Har Har, plaid. If you don't have anything good to say, just don't say it.

***pouts***

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Old school: I always liked The Flash. He was like Superman without the flying and invulnerability. Superman was boring--the dude was BULLETPROOF, for God's sake, where's the drama in that? Kryptonite became a lame joke decades ago. Superman is like when you rip through a video game with all the cheats on. Sure, you get places, but it's just a big yawn.

Modern: There's a comic book out but I've only read the shared reality books--Wild Cards, edited by George R.R. Martin with lots of other great writers. I liked Martin's The Turtle, a pudgy nerd who flys around in a metal shell. He starts out with a VW body, then upgrades to larger/fancier ones over time, with TV, AC, fridge, etc. He can lift a battleship with telekinesis. "I am the Great and Powerful Turtle!!" he booms deafeningly from his loudspeakers. Then he cracks open a Heineken, slaps a classic rock tape [Cool] into his stereo, and lays waste to evildoers--the Turtle campaigns in style!
Also, The Sleeper, Roger Zelazny's character who goes into a coma every few weeks, and awakens with a new, sometimes bizarre power.

[ April 20, 2005, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-man.
He's sort of like me at least in the movie. Struggling.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked Rogue, the potential is awesome.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Xena...but I'm not sure she counts since she didn't start off in comics.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-man. Even with some of his more unfortunate story lines, there's a core consistency there that I find appealing. Like Batman, he's motivated by parental death (even if he was an uncle). But, he's also motivated by his own culpability in that death.

It shows learning from one's mistakes versus simply feeling guilty about something.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Underdog, because he always made sure we had no need to fear.

Superman might have been as fast a speeding bullet. Flash was pretty fast also. But Underdog had the speed of lightning.

King Klobber of the planet Zot wanted the strongest "husband" in the universe for his daughter. He didn't pick any of those others, he picked Underdog.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.