FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading Aloud Club (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reading Aloud Club
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
!

Yeah, pretty low sound quality is the polite way of putting it [Wink] [Razz]

I need to work out the static issues I'm having, but I think I know what's causing them.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Hobbes, you have webspace, you're a freakin' purdue student.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, fine, I'll figure out how to use Purdue's webspace just for you Fugu. Don't say I don't appreciate you!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Look at the information under "Purdue Career Account".

http://www.itap.purdue.edu/tlt/help/

fugu13
Member # 2859

This answer in particular: http://www.itap.purdue.edu/tlt/help/view.cfm?KBTopicID=1#KB23
Hobbes
Member # 433

Bah! It takes about 25 seconds to figure out to figure out how to get to the right directory to mess with my webstuff, and 10 minutes until I come back here and look at those links until I can figure out the url associated with it. [Grumble]

Thanks Fugu. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Beloved Hobbsey, of course! [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Smile] Be sure, when you send that program, to send it to the one my profile, the gmail one (hobbes7714 at google's great e-mail). [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Program sent, Hobbes!

Russell, yours sounds so professional! Mine are absolutely off the cuff, complete with throat clearings, cats meowing in the background, watch alarm going off and stumblings over words and rereading it. Once or twice I mistook the emphasis on a phrase and realized by the end of the sentence that I gave it the wrong intonation at the start, but I just left it.

I can see that I'm going to have to get my act together to keep up with you guys! :-P

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oops, Hobbes, it got returned for "illegal attachment" from your gmail account probably because it is an .exe file. I'm going to rename it something else to send it, okay? When you get it rename it back to .exe and then run it to install.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Sure thing. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

It wont install. [Frown] "C:\...\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 23, 2005, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hmmmm [Dont Know]

Are you running XP?

[ April 24, 2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

I am. :-/

Hobbes [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

You know, there are tons of audio recording apps out there . . .

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=record+audio&tg=dl-20&search.x=11&search.y=7&search=+Go%21+

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, you re-named it like she said, right?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah I do, but I like the idea of using the same software AK does, any connection I can have with AK is a connection I want. [Smile]

KQ, if I didn't I wouldn't be getting a run-time error, I would be getting a text file full of machine code. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
... any connection I can have with AK is a connection I want.
[Kiss] Sweet Hobbes! We should go out to dinner again sometime. That was fun!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I may actually have to do this. Assuming I can find the time, it sounds really enjoyable.

Should we be careful to avoid copyright issues, however, by sticking to books and stories in the public domain?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a good idea for anyone who's posting them rather than e-mailing them, at least.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...what if we set up a yahoo group? The files could be uploaded there, and we can limit who can access them.

Oh, yeah...can you send me that program?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

All the stuff I'll be doing will be public domain.

Luckily O. Henry is a prolific writer [Wink]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to "Unaccompanied Sonata" this weekend, just on audiobook, and I was amazed at what details came out to me that I didn't pick up when I read it (which I did for the first time just a few weeks ago). I think that is because even with fiction I "scan" a bit. We read at different speed and depth when we read silently, depending on the interest level of the passage.

In particular, the back story on both Joe and Guillermo didn't stand out when I read it- I just wanted the narrative to get back to Christian- but since the audio book reads every word at more or less the same speed I suppose I gave them equal attention.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

However you guys want to do it is fine with me. I was planning to just email back and forth. Anyone who wants my readings just email me at the email address in my profile to request.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was to use a diferent recording program would there be a problem with people getting it? I know most of that stuff can record it to a number of different formats, but what I mean is would the files become too large that way?

Are we all better off using the same programs?

If not, could someone review some of the options for me? I have no idea what would work well...but I do know free is a good thing at this point.... [Big Grin]

[ April 25, 2005, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Boon, program sent!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've ordered a microphone. Sherlock Holmes and Just So Stories, coming up! (In 3-7 business days.)
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, I think any program that outputs mp3 files will be fine. This one just happens to be handy. Configure any program for relatively low bandwidth and sampling rate and you should get reasonably sized files.

12,000 Hz bandwidth is plenty for voice recordings (telephones use 5,000 Hz I think). My recordings have an annoying high pitched computer whirr that I wish I could filter out, in fact. This software isn't sophistocated enough to do that, to do band pass filtering, so there's plenty of room for improvement by computer (or audio) wizards like our friend Russell.

I tried the lower sampling rate that would generate files half the size, but it sounded fuzzier and less understandable, so 1 kb/sec seemed to be a good choice. You can experiment a bit with different settings in any software you may try, to compare sound quality and file size and pick something you like.

Or if you'd rather, I'll send you this software and you can configure it just like mine. But there's no special reason for everyone to do that. Mine is not particularly wonderful and there may be many better things out there. I may be persuaded to change to something else myself, in fact, after listening to stories recorded by other people. I'm really impressed by how Russell's sounds, for instance. Mine are quite amateurish by comparison. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I would recommend Audacity, a freeware program that seems to be as good as most commercial programs. Recording a voice was very, very easy to do, and best of all it isn't shareware, it's freeware.

I have played around with it a bit, but the sound quality seems to be very good.

Now, I guess I need to set up my web space with Verizon...I have DSL, so I think I got free space with it, but I don;t have a site even set up.... [Big Grin]

We will see....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Played around with it a bit, and it is incredible. It is easy to use for our purposes, but it has so many other professional grade features that I am really impressed.

And did I mention it is freeware, not shareware?

Here is a link...it is called Audacity.

[ April 29, 2005, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Nice, Kwea!

Anyone have anything new ready for me to listen to? <hopes>

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am having a problem with Audacity...although the problem isn't with the program, it is with my lack of knowledge about computers in general, I think.

In order to save these voice files with Audacity as mp3 files, I have to install LAM, which is a program/library that Audacity uses to convert it's files to mp 3's. I went to the link and downloaded it, and clicked on the exe. file, and something happens, but then when I try to save the files as an mp3. Audacity can't find the LAME catalog.

Weird.

Kwea

[ April 27, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, I figured it out, and now they items I read are in MP3 format. Now I just have to figure out how to send them to people, as I don't have a web site to post them on yet. I think I have the space, as a Verizon DSL customer, but I have not set it up, and have never done anything like that before. It would probably be easier to email it to people, providing I can figure out how to do that.

I believe I can just send it as an attachment, right? I have never tried to send an mp3 before, so I have no idea...

Kwea

[ April 27, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmm... but none of the stuff I really want to read is in the public domain! Perhaps I'll fish out one of my books of poetry...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Is there some amount of a copyrighted book that is legal to read and post, or is just about anything going to be violation? Because I'd really like to do the first few pages of Gravity's Rainbow.

Hobbes [Smile]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I've missed this thread up to this point, but I think I'd like to participate, too. Maybe some Asimov short stories...anyone interested?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Hobbes: there's no hard and fast limit as to what's okay and what's not, but I don't see any way a couple of pages (in this setting) wouldn't be a fair use, particularly as your use is transformative of the work you're copying.

Megan: asimov's estate is a ferocious copyright defender, so you couldn't post links to them on the forum.

Megan
Member # 5290

Ah, ok. Well, any suggestions, then?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and Kwea: File are files, you can just attach MP3s like any other file. The only reason you wouldn't be able to attach some file in exactly the same way is if your ISP had some particular restrictions on what sorts of attached files could be sent, which is best tested by a trial run.
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'm working from this source right now, and will likely be using Project Gutenberg later:

http://www.literaturepage.com/

All works on that site are in the public domain, and almost all works on project gutenberg are in the public domain (and those that aren't have permissions attached to them to make copying possible).

Megan
Member # 5290

Alright, thanks.
twinky
Member # 693

Sweet, that means I can do a snippet of The Ground Beneath Her Feet.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The Literature Network also has Public Domain works online.

I am wondering whether recording and e-mailing one of Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's stories would be fair use.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The Literature Network also has Public Domain works online.

I am wondering whether recording and e-mailing one of Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's stories would be fair use.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and don't forget you can always ask the copyright holder. If they give permission, its all good.
Kwea
Member # 2199

have a question...has anyone else ever used Audacity? I made some mp3's today, but even though the titles are all different in the file I put them in, when I go to play them as mp3's windows reads them as the first one I ddi. They play fine, each individualy, but the title is the same on all of them.

I went under properties of each, and they are all named the same in that, although the names of the individual files in the folder show up fine.

What did I do? Or rather, what didn't I do?

[ April 29, 2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Do you think we get into copyright violations if we just email them one by one, person to person? That's what I was planning to do, but if that's illegal or wrong then I won't. I'll limit myself to stuff in the public domain.

However, much of what I want to read will have a copyright if not on the original work then on the particular English translation. So I will be sad. But since I've gotten zero requests so far for my readings, the point may be moot anyway. [Big Grin]

Kwea, what have you got so far for me? What story/book or other text are you reading?

Russell, your public clamours for chapter 2!

ketchupqueen, did the microphone come yet?

Jenny Gardener, what chapter are we on in The Secret Garden? I'll read the book to catch up to wherever you are.

I'd like to undertake a really long work, one chapter at a time, perhaps Lord of the Rings, or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or maybe Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, The Brothers Karamazov, or Anna Karenina, possibly Heidi, but only if anyone is interested in hearing it. Anyone care to listen to one of those novels that I love passionately? I will work on improving my reading voice, and I'm sure I'll gain in confidence and ability the more we do this.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, neat! I hadn't come in here before. [Smile] If I find something I want to read, I might play, too.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, I wish Dr Suess was in the public domain... I'd love to read Fox in Sox! Or The Lorax!

But Oscar Wilde is... hmmm....

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

ak, I'd love to hear you reading Winnie the Pooh! [Smile]

Sadly my copy of The Ground Beneath Her Feet is 2,000 kilometres from me. But I do have a fun book I'd like to read excerpts of. It's called The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures.

[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.