FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading Aloud Club (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reading Aloud Club
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ak, it's a suprise. I would like to hear something from you, if you so desire.... [Big Grin]

They aren't very long, but I like them, and I think you might as well.

As far as this website goes, they have to be careful what we say here. However, if you would email me, I would tell you what I think in private.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ketchupqueen, did the microphone come yet?
Nope. Shipped Mon., could be here as early as tomorrow or as late as next Mon. I am looking forward to reading, though; I think the first thing I will do is "The Cat that Walked By Himself", my favorite Just-So Story. After that, I am trying to decide whether to do my favorite Sherlock tale, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band", or my father's favorite, the very readable "A Scandal in Bohemia". [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Is Poe OK yet? I think so, and I might read some of his soon. The Pit and the Pendulum, or The Fall of the House of Usher....

Either that of some of Shakespere's sonnets...I always felt they were much better read out loud than they scanned on a page.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I love Poe's stories! The Masque of the Red Death has been my favorite of his since 3rd grade.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, those are all good, but nothing beats the beautiful consonance that is "The Raven".

"Dying embers wrought their ghosts upon the floor."

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And yes, Shakespeare's sonnets, while good on paper, are much more impressive out loud. I impressed the Relief Society at a "getting to know you" event by reciting no. 116 (the famous "Let me not to the marriage of true minds...") when the question was "Who can recite a poem from memory?" I can't believe that mine was the only hand that went up, and that was the first one that popped into my head. [Big Grin] It's much more impressive out loud. In fact, maybe I'll do that, too.
Kwea
Member # 2199

NO stealing my ideas!!! [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But that's my FAVORITE! Can I have just that one?
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Grumble] Fine. Be that way. [Grumble]

That works for me, it doesn't really matter...just remember to send me a copy of whatever you record, OK?

Kwea

Hobbes
Member # 433

The Raven. I recorded it with my headphones, the static isn't that bad but's pretty quiet. The total file is a little under 6MB.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I apologize for my voice, it's the only I have access to at this time. [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Hobbes, what program are you using to record this? It sounds good, but there is a lot of white noise..I know that Audacity has an EQ ability, and filters....
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Hobbes, your voice is awesome! It's just like I heard it in my head! Have we ever spoken on the phone? I don't think so yet I seemed to recognize your voice. I love this reading! Thanks so much for it! Please do more. The earphones sound fine as a microphone to me. I just had to turn up the volume loud to hear it but I didn't hear any static, really, at all.

And Kwea, yours are very impressive! I enjoyed listening to them so much! Audacity definitely makes great quality recordings. I may change over to it to get my recording quality better, and so I can filter out that computer sound from mine.

Twinky, I will send you the Pooh story that Grisha loves best, okay? It's from Winnie the Pooh, in which Panda and Roo come to the Forest and Piglet gets a Bath.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I began making a web site using Verizons' web kit....it will be a pretty basic site, but it will do for now.

Unfortunatly, Verizon is down tonight, perventing me from uploading mp3's to my site tonight. At least I think it is because of that....

I went to upload this to my site and it won't do it...at first it sadi that all teh file names were invalid, because I had spaces between the words. Upon reading the board a bit I found that it said to modify the names of the files on the upload screen to remove the spaces..so I put underscores where teh spaces had been, and they appeared to be working fine. I got the list of uploads populated, then began to hit the "choose" button, as prompted by Verizon....and none of them would upload, even though it had accepted them with the underscores.

I hope I wasn't suppose to go through teh file on the computer and rename them as well, because it didn't say anything about that in the web directions.

[Dont Know]

All of this is completely new to me, so I will have to figure it out later, I guess.

Hobbes, I forgot you were using your headphones as a mic...that being considered, it wasn't bad. You have a very good voice for this stuff...even if you DO steal my ideas for reading material..... [Big Grin]

Still, I know that Audacity can filter out some noises, it is under tools I think...I played around with the EQ function as well, so perhaps that might help as well.

Kwea

[ April 29, 2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks, ak...I wrote tehm a while ago, as I mentioned in the email I sent you. I tried to wrote poetry while I was in school, but never finished even one to my satisfaction...but a few years later, out of the blue, I had a bunch of ideas all at once, and wrote them down.

I have a poem I wrote for a friend who died as well, and I really like that one as well. His parents had part of it carved into the headstone too, so I guess it was fairly good.

The only copy I have of it is at my parents house, so when I go down there this weekend perhaps I will record it as well. If I can figure out the web space as well I will post it there.

At least I won't have any copyright issues, as I own them lock, stock, and barrel... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ April 28, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, do you want me to list your readings individually in the catalog on the zeroth post? Or just to group them together and call them "readings"?

I won't send them directly myself but will let anyone who wants them ask you for them directly.

And for my readings too, I would appreciate it if people didn't share them directly to others, but let them always come through me. Shall we make that the general rule?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, I just saw that you requested something from me. Which would you like? Or if you want to wait I will soon be recording more stuff.

I love Shakespeare's sonnets! I know half a dozen or so by heart. Perhaps I will read one or two of my favorites.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I discovered one night while trying to stay awake driving late that Shakespeare's sonnets work really great when recited aloud in a montypythonesque fake cockney accent. <laughs> If I get very brave I may do some like that. BunnV would be proud. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Winnie the Pooh!

Tonight I'll try to do something. [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

So who wants to hear the first three chapters of "The Man Who Counted?" [Big Grin]

(I confess, I crack up midway through Chapter 3. I left it in, though. [Razz] )

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think that that works, only sending things that you yourself have recorded, that way there aren't any confusiong problems about where they originated.

Sure, list mine there, wherever it is....either individualy, or in a folder called Original Poems, then sublisted...whatever works for you, I don't care.

Now, you mentioned a list of existing recordings? Where?

I am open for suggestions...send me whatever you think you did best, or you enjoyed reading the most.

[ April 28, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

So I recorded a couple small sections of Gravity's Rainbow. I tried using the equalizier to remove some static but I think it just made it worse. About 11 minutes, and again, just under 6MB.

Gravity's Rainbow.

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When Ketchup Princess is not falling asleep, I'll listen to all the stuff posted. Maybe tomorrow, actually, as Ketchup Prince Consort is calling me for Stargate SG-1 and chocolate. [Big Grin]

The UPS guy missed me today; I should have my mic tomorrow! [Party]

Kwea, thank you for letting me have that sonnet. [Kiss] It means a lot to me.

Kwea
Member # 2199

No problem...I can always record my own version of it, there is noting saying we can record duplicates..although since it means that much to you, I probably won't.

[Big Grin]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Twinky, PLEASE send those 3 chapters to me! I would love to hear them. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

[ROFL]

I decided to start recording Shakespeare's Sonnets tonight, asn I figured I wouls start out randomly by turing the page and sticking my finger down, and reading whatever my finger came down on.

Guess which one I completely randomly picked? [Evil]

It is random, too...I have read a lot of the sonnets...all of tehm at one point or another....but this is a new hradcover I got a while ago, with no wear marks or favorite pages, even. [Big Grin]

Kwea

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, if you do that, I am going to have to get back at you.

Don't make me come out there.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I was nice, I didn't....but it really did happen. I thought it was really funny, all things considered... [Big Grin]

I did record some others...want a copy of them?

ak, a copy is heading your way in a few, then I am off for the night.

Kwea

[ April 29, 2005, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, I want a copy. Please. [Smile]
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Why haven't I been in this thread before ? I love to read aloud too ! Actually, I read aloud for my husband quite often (right now, we're at the end of The Trilogy of Bartimeus, book 2. It's a great idea to record it ! I think I'll buy a microphone and try Audacity and read aloud my favorite books.
BTW... Welcome back, AK ! I missed you.
EDIT : Another idea that just came to my mind : I'm currently in job research, and will probably spend considerably less time near my compy if it succeeds. Does anyone know if something like a digital recorder exists ? You know, something that would have a battery, that I could have with me to record things and plug to my compy to have the records back...

[ April 29, 2005, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yes, they do..either portable MP3 recording machines, or even just a portable tape player, digital or otherwise. You could always convert the recordings to a mp3 file on your computer before sending it.

Anna, would you like to have any current recordings send to you now? You don't have to wait until you have something to share, you know.... [Smile]
Kwea

Anna
Member # 2582

Thank you, I'd love that ! It's good I don't have to wait to share, because I still hesitate - if it's in French it won't interest anyone besides perhaps Annie, and if it's in English you'll have to hear my accent - I'm not sure my reputation could survive to that.
Adress is in profile.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I would love to hear you reading something in French. (I'm Canadian.)

[Smile]

ak, you'll have email in a minute. [Smile] [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, I would love to hear you reading something in English, accent and all. [Smile] Accents are neat, plus I like replacing the voices I hear in my head when I read y'all's posts with actual ones. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anna, there is no email in your profile, and it won't let me email you through the board.

Send me an email if you want those files, and I will reply some time tonight when I get home.

Kwea

Anna
Member # 2582

E-mail sent. Thank you again !
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Anna, I too would love to hear you read in English, accents are awesome! I would love to hear you read in French too, even though I wouldn't understand it.

One of my favorite reading aloud memories is a time when I was reading and being read to in Spanish. I hope someday Sasha will read Crime and Punishment to me in Russian and translate it for me line by line and word by word. That might sound tedious to some but for me it would be heaven! And maybe I could learn Russian that way.

Thanks for the latest round of readings, everyone! I'm all busy this weekend because BunnV and Grisha are home for a bit, (last night I read to them the Stinky Cheese Man) but they're leaving on Monday (too soon!) and then I want to listen to all the latest plus I promise I'll record some more myself. I'm so delighted that others are enjoying this too. [Smile]

[ April 29, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

- posted      Profile for Bambiraptor   Email Bambiraptor         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I join? I have been recording fairy tales on my computer for a while, for my litle cousin who lives in England to listen to. My voice isn't that good, but he likes it.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I will have some time this weekend, so I plan on listening to some of your stories, and hopefully check out the programs listed and maybe get set up for reading myself. There's a story I'd love to read y'all, but I'm pretty sure it's not public domain. Maybe I'll just dig up some of my old poetry... I was thinking of doing that even before I saw that Kwea did. [Wink]

What fun!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kwea, I like your sonnets. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, I like "The Raven", although the volume is very low.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hobbes, I have an idea for you until you get a mic....

Are you using Audacity now? thought you were, based on your comments about using the on the last recording, although it might have been another program I suppose...

If you are, there is an option for "noise removal" that seems to be tailor made for your sound issues, although it might not help much with the volume. You click on that option, under Effect, and it ways to run it while the sound is playing for a little bit so it can detect the sound and filter it out. If you did that, then didn't make a sound, it might filter out the white noise, allowing us to hear your cool voice better.

Then again it might not...I have a fair mic, and have no problems, so I haven't tried that effect myself other than to play around with it a little bit. It might work, it might not, but it seems it might be worth a shot.

I enjoyed hearing you read though.....

Send me anything and everything, people...I may nto be able to listen to it all, but I have DSL so I can download it no problem and save it until later.

I had two other sonnets recorded but they weren't saved properly so I lost them. I will record them again this weekend, and send them out.

My mom had a birthday while she was out in AZ, and since she is now home Jenni and I are going to see her (and my dad) this weekend. As a belated birthday gift I am taking along a audio CD of these poems, and some others than Jenni and I are recording for her, so that she can always hear our voices when she wants to. She is just enough of a sap that it will be a great gift for her...

And I am just enough of a sap to think of doing it for her....
[Blushing]

Kwea
Member # 2199

ElJay, I believe that fugu said it was OK to read most works, as it is a "transformative" use within the public domain. We can't post them here, probably, but we should be able to send it to each ohter, as we are not profiting by doing so...it is considered "fair use", I think.

Then again I sell suits and mortgages for a living (although NOT at the same time or place... [Big Grin] ), so what do I know....

OK, here is the linky to Audacity for anyone who wants it, once again. I really like this app, it seems to work really well, although it is a bit overpowered for simple voice recording. Then again, it's free, so who cares? [Big Grin]

AK, I will take the piglet one first, pls....and The Gift of teh Magi, too, from fugu.

Also, please add my selections to the first post....I see that is what you meant now... [Big Grin]

Anyone want to hear some truly mediocre original poetry? It is my specialty, sort of...

Kwea

[ April 29, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am very grumpy at UPS. They said they were going to deliver between 2 and 5 today, so I was up, here, and ready-- and they didn't come. I opened the door-- and there was a note saying they missed me! It must have been in the narrow window between 11:45, when Jeff left, and 12:20, when I got up. And this is the worst part-- they left it in the office. The office hours are supposed to be until 5:30, so I woke the baby and ran down to catch her at 5:15. No one there. Locked. [Mad] Saturday hours are by appointment only; I will have to have my husband try to catch her tomorrow morning. [Grumble]
twinky
Member # 693

A capella singing doesn't really belong in this thread, does it? I guess I should start a separate one...
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of pages of a much larger work would almost certainly be okay, yes, in part because this use is transformative.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooh, twinky, I want in! Start the thread!
Kwea
Member # 2199

:::taps foot::::

I'm waiting.....

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Me, too.
Kwea
Member # 2199

KQ, I just sent you my poems, to tide you over.... [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.