FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 3 Favorite Bands (or Singers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 3 Favorite Bands (or Singers)
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Papercrane; lets make her feel welcome.

Mine are:
1. Alphaville
2. La Ley
3. Alison Krauss and Union Station

[ April 23, 2005, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so hard to choose just three.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Bob Dylan
2. Neil Young
3. Donna the Buffalo

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
1. System of a Down
2. Rasputina
3. Mindless Self Indulgence

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, Dylan is your favorite? Wow. And here I thought our tastes in music were so similar...

[ April 23, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
1. A bunch of classical composers I'm having trouble deciding between. (Draws name out of a hat) Mozart
2. Splender
3. Weezer

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Oooo, I saw Dylan about a year ago... his new band that plays with him is FANTASTIC! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

His band is excellent. I don't love to see him live anymore, but he is still the king of my musical world.
Ketchupqueen, you might want to think about your delivery of your opinion. It does not have to include putting someone else down for theirs.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I really couldn't pick 3. But I kept it to 10. They're not necessarily in order, either.

1) Kate Wolf (deceased)
2) Kate Rusby
3) Iris DeMent (although I'm not as big a fan of her third album as her first two)
4) John McCusker (who is neither a band nor a singer, but rather a fiddler)
5) Bach (who is a composer, not a singer or a band or even a fiddler)
6) My father (none of you have probably ever heard him, but he's my biggest musical influence, and plays at a professional level)
7) Danu (they should actually have a thing over their "u", but I'm lazy)
8) Gillian Welch and David Rawlings
9) Maura O'Connell
10) Stan Rogers (also deceased)

Alison Krauss came really close to being on the list, but I had tried really hard to keep it to 10. [Smile] Dolly Parton would have made it, as well, but I don't want to imply that I like her pop. 'Cause I don't. Only her real country and bluegrass stuff. Also, too many awesome bluegrass bands to mention were too hard to choose between and were omitted.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Mother of toast, I have to narrow it down to three? Okay, lessee . . .

1. Moody Blues (this was the easy one)
2. Dire Straits
3. They Might Be Giants

I almost made an "honorable mention" list, but that would have made this post too long.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Elizabeth, I didn't intend it as a put-down. I'm sorry. Should I omit the "horrified"? [Kiss] It's just been a long-standing joke amongst those who know me that I like almost all folk-- except Dylan.
papercrane
Member # 7877

- posted      Profile for papercrane   Email papercrane         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, thanks. It is really hard to choose just three, though...

1. Simon and Garfunkel
2. Fatal Mambo
3. Yoko Kanno

And Seether, and Blind Melon, and Thornley...

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
1. They Might Be Giants
2. Spin Doctors
3. BluesTravelerWeirdAlSaveFerrisTomLehrer

Whew. Kept it to three.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

I hope that just because Ketchupqueen cheated, no one else does. 10 bands. [No No] Next thing you know someone will post their top 20 bands, and where will that lead us? [Wink]
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kent, if you prefer, I can re-list all my favorites as "ties", so I only have three, but list all my favorites. [Razz]
Kent
Member # 7850

What's done is done, just don't go around corrupting the youth anymore. (Where did I leave my Hemlock?)

[ April 23, 2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
myr, I knew a guy who was in love with the chick from Rasputina. He went to see one of their shows in England and got to meet her. He gave her some sort of goth/death teddy bear he made her or something, and she liked it so much he got to eat dinner with her. What a strange guy he was...haven't seen him in a couple years, oh well.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But that's my job title! Corruptor of youth!
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
myr, I knew a guy who was in love with the chick from Rasputina. He went to see one of their shows in England and got to meet her. He gave her some sort of goth/death teddy bear he made her or something, and she liked it so much he got to eat dinner with her.
That's awesome. And kind of creepy. Still, I wonder if that would help me get a foot in the door with Jasmine Rodgers. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

AR, sure *I* wasn't the guy? >_> <_< >_>

Hey, if people are mentioning more than three, I could go on forever! There's the Eagles and Doobies and Neil Diamond and Common Rider and well. I'll spare you [Smile]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, only 3...

1) Mushroomhead
2) Seether
3) Black Sabbath (w/ Ozzy or Dio)

That is just the Rock side. I listen to Country and other genres.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Three:

1) The Who ( Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle for vocals)

2) Lynryd Skynryd ( With Ron VanZant not John)

3) Led Zeppelin

Alterenate list ( [Razz] ):

1) The Eagles

2) Project 86

3) Queen

2nd Alternate List ( [Evil Laugh] )

1) Nirvana

2) Korn

3) Soundgarden

[ March 27, 2008, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's three favorites, not necessarily my "Top Three Best, Favorite Bands of All Time Forever and Ever" because that's too hard to decide. [Wink]

1. Simon and Garfunkel
2. Gaelic Storm
3. The Proclaimers

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch ! It's very difficult for me. Currently the musics i have always in my head and in my hi-fi are :

Radiohead
Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald
Alan Stivel

But there are more and more musics i heard (Debussy, Bach, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Alan Parson Project, Murray Head, Jaco Pastorius, Muse, Jacques Brel, Balavoine, Polnaref,...) I love music ! [Big Grin]

[ April 23, 2005, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thornley
Good stuff. And you're not even Canadian. Come Again was one of the best rock albums of 2004.

My top 3:
1) The Beatles
2) Van Morrison
3) Hayden

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Heather Alexander

2. Uffington Horse

3.Weird Al

Edit to fix link

[ April 23, 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to list my *all-time* favorite bands list, it would be like this:

1) Queen
2) Bon Jovi
3) U2

But there's been quite some time since I listened to Queen or Bon Jovi, not 'cause I don't like'em anymore, just because I tried other things.

My current list is:

1) Alanis Morissette
2) Tori Amos
3) Muse

For how long? I have no idea... [Big Grin]

Edit: If, on the other hand, you want a list of my 3 favorite songs, there would be no problem:

1) U2 - With or without you
2) Verve - Bittersweet symphony
3) Evanescence - My immortal

Which reminds me, I have some music to listen to... [Hat]

[ April 23, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Top Bands List:

1.) The Clash

2.) The Jam

3.) The Who

Alternate Bands List:

1.) The Ramones

2.) The Boomtown Rats

3.) The Sexpistols

Top 3 Songs List:

1.) I Fought the Law - The Clash

2.) A Quick One While He's Away - The Who

3.) Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al is brilliant! [Smile]
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 3??? In no particular order:

Sarah Slean
Great Big Sea
Bing Crosby

But there's so many more!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily, I like your list!

Umm...

#1. Susan Tedeschi
#2. Dire Straits

Man, # 3 is tough. Pink Floyd or maybe The Moody Blues or perhaps the ever-popular Simon and Garfunkel although U2 is awesome as well. Jeez, The Eagles deserve some consideration, oh and let's not foget Kansas. I guess I'm gonna hafta say ..... ummmm .... Pink Floyd.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit, Mark Knopfler is coming to this really small, beautiful venue near me, but the cheapest ticket is 65 bucks!!!
Also, I think I need your address-I think you would like some of the off-the-beaten-track stuff I have.

punwit
Member # 6388

Elizabeth,

Knopfler is a virtuoso on the guitar. I'd love to see him up close and personal.

If you will send me an email to the one in my profile I can then send you my address. It's very nice of you to think of me. Thank you! [Kiss]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Reel Big Fish
Bradley Nowell/Sublime
Dispatch

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Knopfler is a virtuoso on the guitar. I'd love to see him up close and personal.
Yeah, so would I. Too bad I apparently live on the wrong planet. [Grumble]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Corwin's idea, so I'm going to steal it.

All-time:

1. Beatles
2. Barenaked Ladies
3. I'm not sure. I sort of want to say Beastie Boys because I've liked them for so long, but I don't like them that much. I sort of want to say Jack Johnson, but he's only released three album and I'm still afraid he'll release an album that I absolutely can't stand.

Current:
1. Jack Johnson
2. Operation Ivy & Rancid (mostly Op Ivy)
3. Weezer

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm only 3 huh? let me see....

1.) The Tea Party
2.) Prince
3.) almost anything 80'S

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"1. Jack Johnson"

Oh, I love Jack Johnson! My son's guitar teacher plays like he does, that sort of soft, lilting, jazzy style.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, I am doing two lists. The first list is the "big dudes," folks who are well known.

1. Bob Dylan
2. Neil Young
3. Bruce Springsteen

4. Jerry Garcia with David Grisman

Now, my off-the-beaten-track list:

1. Donna the Buffalo
2. Crow Greenspun
3. Railroad Earth

4. The Duhks

BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
This is easy:

1. Radiohead
2. Pearl Jam
3. (Tie) Led Zeppelin/Metallica

I can't name 3 favorite songs, though, it totally changes depending on my mood. But, I'll name 3 really good songs the above bands, respectively:

1. Street Spirit (Fade Out)
2. Save You
3. When The Levee Breaks/The Unnamed Feeling

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Muse
2) Jimmy Eat World (Mostly the music, not the words)
3) Radiohead
4) Mia Doi Todd

[ April 24, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: SmoG ]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Ruth Holten;
2) Michael Chance;
3) Anthony Rolfe-Johnson.

Yes, I know, I love Gardiner's singers. But you should hear the St Matthew's Passion by Gardiner, then speak.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. Radiohead

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DPerry
Member # 7882

- posted      Profile for DPerry   Email DPerry         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Beatles
2. Over the Rhine
3. Counting Crows

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Elizabeth,

quote:
Also, I think I need your address-I think you would like some of the off-the-beaten-track stuff I have.
I'd really love to hear some of the lesser known artists that you have. If you don't have my address send an email to junkaccount at sbcglobal dot net so that I can send you my address.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have come to the belated realisation that it's pathetic how little I know about music of the last 100 years. This thread is only reinforcing that!

I must educate myself!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bambiraptor
Member # 7874

- posted      Profile for Bambiraptor   Email Bambiraptor         Edit/Delete Post 
top bands
1. Aerosmith
2. Stones
3. AC/DC
These pretty much stay the same

Alternates
1. Eagles/Any of their solo stuff
2. Bobby Darin
3. Eric Clapton
These change according to my mood

Top songs
1. Keep on Rockin in the Free World - Neil Young
2. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
3. Deuces are Wild - Aerosmith
Depends on a lot of variables.

Top genres
1. Hard rock/metal
2. Jazz
3. Soft Rock/California Rock
Also mood-oriented

Hated groups
1. Beatles

Posts: 36 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
"I hate the f***ing Eagles, man"
--The Dude

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The Dude does NOT abide the Eagles man...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
1. R.E.M.
2. The Magnetic Fields
3. They Might Be Giants

... With a shout out to my homey J-Seb (Bach). My honorable mention list would be extensive.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.