FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Questions about Australia

Author Topic: Questions about Australia
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
The questions below, about Australia, are from potential visitors. They were posted on an Australian Tourism Website, and the answers are the actual responses by the website officials, who obviously have a sense of humour.

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: We import all plants fully grown, and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney—can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville, and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What did your last slave die of?

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not... oh, forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here, and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is... oh, forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys' Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney, and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled, and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees, and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q: Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R&R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A: Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

I am laughing so hard, my side hurts!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't laughed out loud while reading this forum, until now. Hmm, interesting sensation.

Thanks for sharing, it was awesome. I can't wait to share it with someone.

[ April 23, 2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Kent ]

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad all the questions didn't come from the States. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Trevor, people all over the world are equally inferior to Aussies!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have {misstatement} every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

I loved this!

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Aussies are proof that God has a sense of humour.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Because we're all so witty - right, tt&t?

I'm sure that's all you meant. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
It's even funnier if you know what King's Cross is like.... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Australia, is there really a serious movement to change that flag, or is this just a fringe thing that will never come to fruition?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The debate aboout changing the flag has been about for some time.

There is an Aboriginal Flag which was recognised as an official flag in 1995. Since then the movement to re-do the flag has gained in popularity.

The pro-redesign camp argue that our current flag is not indictitive of our nation today. The flag has the Union Jack on it, and many see that as a sign of oppression, and at the worst, genocide.

The anti-redesign camp argue that our flag has withstood 100+ years since federation, represents a united Australia and at this stage, has come to stand for the whole country. They also argue that a lot of people have died under our flag (and ANZAC day is tomorrow) and changing it would be disrespectful.

I personally think we should change the system (ie: constitutional monarchy) before we think about changing the flag. When we do change the system, the flag debate will be on the agenda.

Edit: to take out a stray bracket. Also, in the last paragraph - I think we, as a country, should become a republic *and* change our flag.

[ April 24, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, Trevor, people all over the world are equally inferior to Aussies!
Being inferior to a nation that created Home and Away is pretty bad.

[sings] You and I forever and eeveeeer...

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

You're forgetting Neighbours.
jebus202
Member # 2524

Ah yes, how could anyone forget?

[ April 24, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, imogen. We have a constitutional monarch here (Canada), and we're happy with it, and we have a cool flag. Also, we fought all our major wars under the Union Jack. *shrug*

My main problem with the Australian flag is that it's almost exactly the same as the New Zealand flag. It's confusing to remember which one has red stars and which has white stars.

[ April 24, 2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

Yeah, witty. Exactly. [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aussies are proof that God has a sense of humour.
Thanks!

Of course, all that is true... I'm not surprised at the answers (particularly those laughing at Americans). But... some of them are truly idiotic; you don't make a fool of yourself by publically posting those questions!

JH (In my Aussie character)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good place to solve something: Does either the Australian or the New Zealand flag have a "bonus star" (Twinky's words) on the left side underneath the union jack?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

The Ozzie one does. They have 6 stars I think, we have 4.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The Aussie one has, as an addition to the Southern Cross. I forgot what it represents.

[Singing]
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll join with hearts and hands;
To make this commonwealth of ours,
Renowned of all the lands!
[/singing]

How many versions did they have for the continuation of the stanza? 3 or 4, no?

Feels so good to listen to Down Under again!

[Singing]
...I met a strange lady, she made me nervous,
She took me in and gave me breakfast. And she said...
[/singing]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Now CSN's "Southern Cross" is stuck in my head.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Ozzie
That's "Aussie". We do have 6 stars, and thy are STARK WHITE. We aren't as bloody as the Kiwis. I don't know what OSC thought, but we definitely like having ourselves seperated from NZ. I love Australia, and always will. Imogen, can you transfer me there? I miss walking down Darling Harbour... and going round that big mansion on NSHR in Double Bay... Looking at a sunset from Rose Bay, and sunrise from Huntes Hill... Taking a ferry from Rushcutters Bay to the Quay, and then either one to Manly, or to Balmain...

God, I MISS Sydney!

JH

[ April 24, 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

tt&t
Member # 5600

The "bonus star" under the union jack on the Ozzie flag represents the Commonwealth.

Aussie, Ozzie... Blue, Sheila, they're all the same aren't they? [Razz]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Maybe to you, Sheila.

[ April 24, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of flags, what about this New Zealand site? Is the movement bigger in NZ, or is it just a coincidence that the site looks nicer?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Damn the Union Jack!
jebus202
Member # 2524

Jon you can't start getting all nationalistic in every thread.
jebus202
Member # 2524

And hold up a second.

Are you people trying to tell me that New Zealand and Australia are different countries?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Not buying it.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, we're really probably going to Australia this summer.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.