FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Asimov Recommendations

Author Topic: Asimov Recommendations
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright people. I have a confession to make.

I haven't read enough Asimov.

I've read only one of his novels - "Robots of Dawn"
And I've read his "Complete Stories".

Both of which were great, but I need to know, where do I go from here?

I gotta read something till Magic Street comes out end of June.

[ April 24, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Foundation

The Gods Themselves

The Naked Sun

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Porter has some great suggestions.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm headed to B&N today and I'll check those out, for starters.

Should I be concerned that most of my disposable income goes towards books?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, library cards are certainly much cheaper.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Why recommend The Naked Sun before The Caves of Steel? Just wondering.

Of course, he did already read Robots of Dawn, so I guess continuity isn't an issue anymore.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Naked Sun was the first Asimov book I read. It had a much greater impression on me than The Caves of Steel.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Naked Sun was a breakthru novel for Asimov; Caves of Steel was still in his pre-characterization mode.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Well, library cards are certainly much cheaper
They certainly are. But if I don't have the book in my possession, in two years I can't remember if I've read it, so I read it again. Also, I'm a collector, and I wouldn't trade my books for anything.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't much like Caves of Steel either. Nakes Sun and Robots of Dawn were my two favourite Robot novels. Robots and Empire was pretty lame.

But Asimov's true masterpiece is his Foundation trilogy. Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation. The later books (Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation) are nice if you're a real fan, but they don't measure up to the original trilogy.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's my problem, I couldn't tell which books were part of the original trilogy, and which were extraneous. They don't say "Volume 1 of the Foundation Series" or anything. But I bought "Foundation" and I'll start it tonight.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation actually take place before Foundation chronologically, but I find they are best read after because they contain a few spoilers for the later books.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Foundation Series is as follows:

The original trilogy, which collects a bunch of short stories and novellas:

1) Foundation
2) Foundation and Empire
3) Second Foundation

These were followed, years later, by these novels, which take place after the above, and generally aren't considered to be as good:

4) Foundation's Edge
5) Foundation and Earth

And finally, a couple of prequels, which I liked, although I can't say whether they're better read before or after the original series:

-1) Prelude to Foundation
0) Forward the Foundation

Without getting into spoilerish territory, Asimov eventually decided that the Foundation series and Robot series took place in the same universe, making it possible to compile a much longer timeline of books, but I'm not going to go there.

Also, The Gods Themselves stands alone, and is brilliant.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cow-Eating Man
Member # 4491

- posted      Profile for Cow-Eating Man           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, The Gods Themselves is fantastic. Probably my favorite of his novels.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all his major novels and had a blast reading them, though I can't remember most of the details of the plots and stories except a few. I remember thinking the ending of the final Foundation novel as incredibly neat in how it reintroduced a familiar character from the "Robot" novels.

[ April 24, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These were followed, years later, by these novels, which take place after the above, and generally aren't considered to be as good:

4) Foundation's Edge
5) Foundation and Earth

The only element I didn't like about those novels was that the main character was arrogantly overbearing to an almost inhuman degree, totally lacking the likability and endearing simplicity of the hero of the Robot novels, Elijah Baley. That aside though, not to disagree or anything, I did find those two novels as good as the original series. Perhaps not as important to science fiction as the first three, but just as fun and involving. [Cool]
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with the recommendation of The Gods Themselves. Splendid work, even if it does have a weird alien sex scene in it. (Asimov apparently got complaints that the didn't do aliens, he didn't do women, and he didn't do sex, so he decided to write one book containing all three just to show he could do it.)

As for Foundation, the original trilogy is certainly the best of Asimov's works on the subject. You might want to have a look at OSC's "The Originist" if you can find it, it's set in the same universe, just prior to the founding of Terminus. There's also a trilogy by Bear, Benford and Brin (each one does one book) exploring more deeply into the subject matter, including an explanation of just why there are no aliens in the galaxy, and how the Empire can remain stable for 12000 years without having any actual science. I've only read the Brin one, but it's rather good; I was surprised, but he does manage to say something new and interesting within the Foundation Universe.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
No need for me to chime in except to say that the original Foundation trilogy is truly excellent.

I'm surprised I, Robot hasn't been mentioned yet.

Also, The "Empire" series:

1. Pebble in the Sky (1950)
2. The Stars Like Dust (1951)
aka The Rebellious Stars
3. The Currents of Space (1952)

Are fantastic and should not be missed.

I'm afraid Asimov left a bunch of his fans behind with the continuation of the Foundation series in his later years, and its merger with the Robot novels.

I personally found it all quite imaginative, and well done in the offing.

But...

To me, he didn't recapture the style and excitement of his works from the 1950's and 60's. He had an amazing imagination but I'm afraid that he could be accused of recycling ideas late in life.

I didn't mind, but I've heard the criticism voiced many, many times.

I think his ability to tie all those loose ends together was demonstration enough that his mind was still pretty agile.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I've noticed that no one here has mentioned any of his massive piles of non-fiction work. I've read tons of his science essays... many of them are hopelessly out-of-date, but they're still fascinating. And two of his most famous non-fiction works, Asimov's Guide to the Bible and Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare, are excellent and well worth reading, and they've survived their age much better than many of his other works.

Also, if you're in the mood for some short mysteries, I've always found his Black Widowers stories and Lucky Starr books most amusing. Not nearly as deep as some of his other novels, but excellent hors d'oeuvres to whet your appetite for more serious endeavours.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that collection of short stories. I believe it was called "I, Robot" the same as the movie.

It was a bunch of stories about how the 3 rules could go wrong. I found it very interesting.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if they have been put into an anthology but his Black Widower short story mysteries are fun, and he wrote so many essays to introduce people to science that you absolutly have to read them to your kids if nothing else. His Robot books and Foundation novels of course, but also if they are out there in a collection his short stories for his magazine were fun! (Asimov Magazine!) find them if you can, his editorials are always wonderful, "The Gentle Reader" I loved being called that!

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also recommend "Murder at the ABBA" for anyone who likes murder mysteries, or is interested in the inner workings of the publishing industry.

Its the only murder mystery I know of where the author is one of the suspects. That takes ego to write yourself into your story, and it takes guts to make yourself look silly.

I think the writing of his I enjoyed the most was his introductions, including intro's to collections where he didn't write anything. They basically introduced you to this persona whom I believe is close to Isaac Asimov.

Oh, and Bicentennial Man was a better book than movie. Check it out too.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Asimov... [Smile]

The summer before I went to college, I read somewhere around 100 books by Asimov. Unfortunately, it was so much in such a short time that I often cannot remember what book had what. Also, I kinda overdosed on him, and it's only just recently that I've been reading much of him again.

I would definitely recommend I, Robot -- you have to read that book just as much as somebody who is interested in OSC has to read Ender's Game.

If you like I, Robot as I di, then you will go after Asimov's other Robot stories and novels, so I feel no need to recommend them to you.

So the second thing I will recommend is the original Foundation trilogy. Again, if you like it as I did, you will probably desire to read more of the Foundation books.

There are a couple of "linking" books that link together both the Foundation and the Robot universes. I recommend against reading those unless you've already read all of the Robot and Foundation novels.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, there's one more that I think has been missed. The first short story collection of his that I ever read was Nightfall and Other Stories. I've read it several times since then, although not for a while. It's a nice taste of the Asimov that isn't tied up in the Foundation/Robot universe. The title story was kind of a breakout hit for him. And the rest... some of the most memorable short stories I've ever read by any author were in that book. Top notch sci-fi.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I brought this up in another thread , but the Asimov I am getting into is The Foundation MMORPG .

The last few months I read The Gods Themselves and the first few Foundation books. I want to read the next book right now, but I lost it. [Frown]

This reminds me, I will look for it tomorrow.

Anyway, I started playing this web-based MMORPG set in The Foundation Universe. I must say, I like it. It is not too graphical; it is mostly strategy. You start off as an independent with 4 planets. You have two weeks to control 15 planets. If you do that, you rise in rank and get a new challenge. The game recycles, but you start with more influence. I understand you can eventually choose to specialize in merchant, war, et cetera.

As someone who is in an Asimov high, I am enjoying this game. I can play it at lunchtime at work! [Smile]

You play by giving orders, and it may take anywhere from 4 to 16 hours for an order to be completed. It takes about 10-15 minutes to set your orders and review what is going on, and then you don’t play until your orders are fulfilled. It is intended to be played continually for short periods of time--anywhere from 1-4 times a day. I think I will be doing it 2-3 times.

My plug is done. Thank you.

[ April 25, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Follow Up:

I bought Foundation on Sunday from B&N. Mowed through it in like 3 hours. That was really good book. I must learn more about this Hari Seldon and his psychohistory. But the book ended in a cliffhanger. No real resolution. So I'm off to pick up Foundation and Empire.

But thanks for all the recommendations. I've bookmarked this thread and will be returning to finish my Asimov education (though I'll spare everyone the play-by-play from now on).

One more comment - Does it annoy anyone else who has to sound out weird alien names in books. I say the words in my head as I read, and these things really kill my flow. One character in particular, Count something-or-other, spoke with what seemed like a Boston accent, and it was written in a fashion that was almost unintelligable. I ended up just skimming his lines and picking up context from the other characters. Thankfully, he retired after about ten pages.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.