FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting Sarah Vowell Interview on Salon.com

Author Topic: Interesting Sarah Vowell Interview on Salon.com
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to click through an add before you'll be able to read the interview, but it's interesting enough that it's probably worth it.

I've always enjoyed Vowell's spoken word stuff on This American Life, but I've never read any of her essays. I'll probably see if my library has Partly Cloudy Patriot when I swing by there after work tonight, and I'll be putting my name on the reserve list for Assasination Vacation so that I can read it once the library gets a copy of it.

I really like her description of essays and essay writin in the interview:

quote:
An essay is like a Manhattan apartment. Every piece of furniture needs to have at least two functions and everything has to fit in a certain amount of space and there's no messing around, there's no room for the snow-globe collection. It's just so compact and efficient.
The same could be said for short stories, I think.

[ April 26, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Edit - Never mind; wrong thread. Sorry about the thread necromancy]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever read Assassination Vacation and Partly Cloudy Patriot? What did you think of them?
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Assassination Vacation, yes. I loved it. I don't know when I've laughed with delight so many times when reading a piece of non-fiction. I have a take-out menu from my favorite breakfast place that is completely covered with quotes that I jotted down while reading the thing over an extended breakfast of good coffee and great pancakes.

Given that, you'd think that I'd have snapped up Partly Cloudy Patriot, Hold the Cannolli, and The Wordy Shipmates, but I haven't. I have plans to borrow the first and third from kristyrennt, though.

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon! LISTEN to The Partly Cloudy Patriot. See if you can get it through ILL, or (*checks*) you can get it for about $10 plus shipping from half.com.

My husband got it for me on CD five years ago when it first came out, and we STILL listen to parts of it. (Not like every day or anything, but not that infrequently, either.) Hearing Sarah Vowell read her essays makes them triply hilarious and moving.

I have it on my iPod now, which makes shuffle pretty interesting. [Smile]

ETA: Take the Cannoli is good, too--but Patriot is my favorite.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, that's a great suggestion, Liz. I'll see if my library's got it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.