FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Erk...bizarre factoid about a criminal case...

Author Topic: Erk...bizarre factoid about a criminal case...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

On one wall is a "Star Trek" poster with investigators' faces substituted for the Starship Enterprise crew. But even that alludes to a dark fact of their work: All but one of the offenders they have arrested in the last four years was a hard-core Trekkie.

Mind you, "offender" in this quote refers to pedophiles.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
This is (a) not a statistic, but a personal memory and impression, and (b) potentially slanderous of a large and varied group of people.

Science fiction fandom, including trekmark, is a society that is extraordinarily accepting of people with very low social skills. People with asperger's syndrome, for instance, are coped with, as are people with various unfortunate aspect to their appearance, or people who are too brusk or insensitive to be tolerated by a lot of other groups. Somehow, Fandom manages to fit them all in and tolerate them, making it about the most inclusive society ever.

Pedophiles tend to be people with very low social skills (at least with adults); they are usually filled with shame, and many of them are struggling to focus on something other than their sexual obsession. It's no surprise that such people would find more of a welcome in fandom than anywhere else.

The sad thing about this factoid is that people will take it as if it means that Trekkies are more likely to be pedophiles, instead of the other way around, that pedophiles who are not KNOWN to be pedophiles are more likely to be accepted by the inclusive world of sci-fi fandom than most other groups.

While there are some children at conventions, it's not a pedophile paradise, at least not that I've observed. So I suspect that pedophiles go to trekkie events, not as predators, but as an alternative to predation. If I'm right, then maybe their involvement in trekland has actually helped them be less active as predators.

Or maybe not. i'm just speculating, to counter the nasty speculation that this "statistic" is bound to cause as it spreads.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has an answer when I ask, "Wow, what are the odds of that?" He usually points out that the odds are actually better than you would think, but since what sets us apart is our ability to recognize, learn from, and create patterns in our world, we tend to seize on anything that resembles a pattern and forget irrelevant information, rather than really researching the actual facts. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It wasn't presented as a statistic or even as a warning sign, but rather just a disturbing footnote to the article.

Of course, I'd hate to think this is yet another stereotype that could be hung around the necks of geeks, freaks and Con-goers.

I am refraining from posting the actual article because the focus is more disturbing still.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so on a Venn diagram of the world's Star Trek fans and the world's pedophiles, there is some overlap. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how that's noteworthy. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

As I say, I'm not claiming all dogs are poodles.

I'm just observing a disturbing quirk of the investigation.

-Trevor

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
TMedina, you're just the messenger. We're not shooting you.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Asperger's Syndrome

For thoise who are curious cats like me.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
If the investigative team was so into Star Trek, it doesn't surprise me that they have connections in the fandom world that would allow them to uncover pedophiles in that world.

When you get deep into any sort of group, you are likely to find some of the bad apples in it.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*shoots Trevor*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.