FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » High School Dances- Now with Eruve's Prom Story!

Author Topic: High School Dances- Now with Eruve's Prom Story!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I went to my first one last night. It was... interesting. There was a lot less blatant drinking and drugs than I thought there would be, and I didn't smell any weed.

The reason that I decided to go to this one was because I have gained so much self-confidence over the past little while. My self-esteem is now quite high, and, well, let's just say that least night just improved it a little bit more. [Blushing]

So, does anyone out there have some high school dance memories that they would like to share?

EDIT: title screwed up

[ April 30, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What school do you go to where you are worried about blatent drugs and alcohol at a school dance?

I think there may have been one drunk guy one dance. But then I went to eight homecoming dances and three proms before I stopped with the dance thing. I have lots of friends that are older and younger than me, but not many that are the same age, so I got invited to their dances a lot. Nothing really stands out, except my prom.

I had an almost fairy tale prom, went with the girl of my dreams, who looked like beauty incarnate that night (as she usually does). She has long curly hair, which she straightened partway and went down to about her thighs. It was a great night.

Of course that was ruined when we broke up the next year and I ended up going to HER prom two years later with a mutual friend, and had to sit next to her on the limo ride home while she made out with her new boyfriend.

You take the good with the bad.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in my last year or two of high school I was taking ballroom dancing lessons with a group of friends, so I would show up to the dances in the hopes of hearing one or two danceable numbers over the course of the night. Whenever one came up, I just grabbed whichever girl of the dancing group was nearest and off we went. It was great to be able to dance in a non-structured, non-lesson environment -- mistakes didn't matter, you just found the beat again and made with the spinning. Good times. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, I had no idea what to expect, but from what I had gathered from some friends of mine, most people were drunk at the other dances. This dance was rather strict about not allowing coats/purses in. And there was some blatant drug use, but it was outside and stopped when the police showed up.

I didn't do drugs/alcohol. I'm not lowering my moral standards for that.

EDIT: Oh, and there weren't any really danceale songs. It was mostly hip-hop, with a litle rap mixed in. There was a live rap band for about an hour. I don't like that stuff really, but it's what you get.

[ April 30, 2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite high school dance was the one my jazz band put on as a fundraiser. [Big Grin] Of course, I was playing, so I didn't get to dance. But it was still a lot of fun, and I was amazed at home many people actually did know how to ballroom dance.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never went to my school dances for a couple of reasons: Pre-drinking and "dancing-which-is-really-an-excuse-to-make-out-with-someone-standing-up-to-a-beat-and-still-partially-clothed" ("grinding").

[Frown]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

*snort* at Teshi

That is really what they're like. I was a bit shell-shocked when I first got in there, and especially when guys started to asking me to dance. (I was wearing my trucker hat, so I looked a lot older than I really was)

EDIT: I cnat speel

[ April 30, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, high school.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

You know, in the right circumstances there's something to be said for a good grind. But those circumstances are not high school dances.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

>.< It's not like there's any other type of dancing going on at high school dances.

EDIT: oh and twinky, you are annoying me by being away on AIM. Just to tell you.

[ April 30, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

[Monkeys]

quote:
But those circumstances are not high school dances.
No, because the word "dance" is in there somewhere.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...our little Desdemona is growing up so fast! *sniff*

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Wait, high school dances are a part of growing up? No wonder I'm so behind!
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
You know, in the right circumstances there's something to be said for a good grind.
Right! Like coffee! I hate it when the grinder setting is off, and you end up getting grounds in your coffee...

Or knife sharpening. I like my knifes hollow-ground, personally. How 'bout you guys?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Laugh]

EDIT: You forgot ground flour.

[ April 30, 2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]

Des, I'm AFK except for 45-second bouts of Hatrack about once every 15-30 minutes.

ElJay
Member # 6358

*blink*

Teshi, what?

Teshi
Member # 5024

What?
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Wink]

[Big Grin]

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, I will omit my natural, dirty-minded response to Trevor's comment. And Eljay's knife comment.

I'm clean and innocent! I swear! [Razz]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Oooooh, I get it.

[Sleep]

TMedina
Member # 6649

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

And twinky, there should also be bouts of talking to me in there, you know!
ElJay
Member # 6358

Personally, I prefer swinging, anyway.

To get back on the subject of dance.

Desdemona
Member # 7100

*resists temptation.....*
Teshi
Member # 5024

Still [Monkeys]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Go for it, Desdi. I seem to be asking for it, so there's no reason I should get to have all the fun. [Wink]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

This is a family forum, remember?

Then again, I am the one who you adults want to keep the non-family friendly stuff away from.

[Monkeys]

ElJay
Member # 6358

*chuckle* Good point.
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Well, as SOME poeple can tell you, I have a bit of a dirty mind.

Only a little bit.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Hah!

The girl's mind is dirtier than mine and that takes work. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Imagine what I'll be like when I'm your age!

Actually, on second thought, don't.

EDIT: oh, and I'll bet you were wondering if that would ever come up on Hatrack...

[ April 30, 2005, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Desdemona ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* By the time you're my age, I imagine you'll be a healthy, well-adjusted young lady with a properly wicked sense of humor. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Desdemona
Member # 7100

Young? Your age?

[Razz]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Pfffft.

Sorry, I can't picture you as an old broad, so I opted for the next best alternative. [Taunt]

-Trevor

Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Razz]

Okay, I'll go for nice and well-adjusted.

Over the old broad a la Trevor.

Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I think axle grinder man agrees there is such a thing as a good grind. [Smile]

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of starting a thread about my prom, but this will do.

To start at the beginning, I always wanted to go to a prom, but never had the chance because I'm homeschooled. The guy who asked me out is really awesome; I had a crush on him and secretly wished he would ask me to go with him...even though I knew it was a hopeless fantasy, that he didn't probably didn't think of me that way, and I didn't go to his school anyway. I was totally floored when he asked me to go, and I was giddy all the way home...until I realised my parents still had to OK the whole thing. My Dad wasn't happy about it, but they finally agreed to let me go, but only if my date asked my Dad's permission. Ok, great. He's a pretty quiet guy, I was surprised he had the guts to ask me out, and now he has to face my Dad?! It took a few weeks, but he finally asked him, and I had permission to go. (Yay!)

I was looking at dresses and found one I really liked, but it was almost $300 and there was no way I was going to pay that much for a dress. Next I tried a local dress shop that sold rentals and used dresses, and managed to find a really pretty dress for only $40. (By the way, the woman at the dress shop was just like Edna Mode from the Incredibles. She was short, had the same hair and galsses, talked in a foreign accent, and acted like her. The similarities were almost scary.) I decided to do my own hair, makeup, and nails. Partly because I didn't want to spend the money, and partly because I don't trust other people to do my hair.

(I had also been sick the week leading up to prom. I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to go, but I was feeling better in time for Prom. I still had a bad cough though, so I had my purse stocked with medicine and cough drops.)

Prom day came. It was about 15 minutes before he was supposesd to pick me up, and I couldn't get my hair to curl...I was starting to panic! Luckily, he was a few minutes late (I don't give very good directions [Wink] ). We left my house by 2:00, which may seem pretty early. We met up with the rest of our group, and started The-Taking-Of-Pictures. We pretty much spent the whole afternoon going to various places to take picture, with a trail of parents following us in their cars. We went out to eat at a nice restaraunt, but it wasn't really special. None of us really felt like eating much, between the nerves and the tight outfits. The only thing notable about the dinner was that one of the guys in the group gave me some really nice compliments. He started saying that more girls should wear their hair down (which I was) because it looks prettier. Then he had to tell the other girls that they looked nice too, so that they wouldn't be upset, and then he told me that I looked "better than them". [Blushing]

Prom didn't start until 8:00 (yes, we spent 6 hours taking pictures and eating dinner), and we didn't get in to the dance floor until a little later (we had to wait for more picture taking). It was really dark in there, with a few colored lights, and I could hardly see to recognize the people I knew. My date and I had already agreed that neither of us could dance very well, so when we first got out on the dance floor we looked at each other, said "Nah", and went to sit down. I did manage to get him to dance for the Electric slide, and a couple of slow dances though. I really enjoyed the slow dances. You can just stand there and move around a little, and it looks like you know what you're doing. [Smile] When we weren't dancing, we would just walk around the arena, and say "hi" to people we knew. There weren't drugs, or excessive drinking at the prom (as far as I know), but we weren't there for long before all the soda fountains were spiked.

We stayed until the end (around midnight), and went over to the after prom at the school. The theme for the party was "Poker Night". When we came in, they handed us a bag of chips, which we could use at the different tables and then turn in for raffle tickets at the end. They had everything from Blackjack to roulette; it was a lot of fun. We didn't leave there until about 4 AM, and then had to go drop other people off, so I didn't get home until almost 5 in the morning. I got about 4 hours of sleep before I got up, and took a flight to NJ to go get my car. So I was exhausted and cranky the next day.

Sorry to bore you all with a long description of my day, but I felt like sharing. [Smile] It may not have been terribly exciting, but I really enjoyed just being there with him, and I felt like the luckiest girl in the world! [Big Grin]

(edited to add: My computer crashed right when I posted this, and as it was rebooting I was thinking "Oh God, I hope it posted...I don't want to have to type that all over again!" [Wink] )

[ April 30, 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ervue, that's not boring, that's a wonderful prom story! I'm glad you told us, and I'm very glad you had such a good time. [Smile]

So when are we going to see some of those pictures?

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I was using a disposable (because it fit in my purse), so my pictures didn't turn out very well. I'm waiting to get pictures back from the others. i have one that my Mom took that came out well. Maybe I'll scan it and put it up for now.

(edit: pictures added here )

[ April 30, 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

[Smile] Yay Eruve!
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It was really interesting. I was wondering how it went and hoping you would post a story! Your pictures are gorgeous.

PS. I love the way you write clearly and interestingly, I really envy you.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.