FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Popular Songs For Children

Author Topic: Popular Songs For Children
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be right up front: This is something I need help on for my job in the summer.

I run a music summer camp for children ages 3-8, and I although I play classical music a lot as well as upbeat latin-ish or caribbean (steel drums, we heard that CD so many times!) music, I would like to make a CD of more modern (last 60 years) music. I have very limited experience with the last 60 years of music, especially after 60s, so I'm at a loss. I wondered if Jatraqueros could help me out. All I need is the names and performers of songs that your children/you liked as children, with totally clean and non-insinuitive lyrics (so I do't get sued when their little darlings come home).

Songs from movies or over the credits of movies are fine!

So far I have:

Octopus's Garden - The Beatles
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Three Little Fishes - Swinging Blue Jeans (I think- I heard it on the radio)
Feelin' Groovy - Simon and Garfunkel

So yeah, I need help! If you can think of just one, that would be great [Big Grin] . Thank you!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go wrong with Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter Paul and Mary.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta have Raffi's "Baby Beluga" in there somewhere.

"Puff the Magic Dragon," by Peter Paul and Mary(no matter what they tell you it is really about)

Dan Zanes' "All Around the Kitchen."
(clip)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TT6M/103-0111637-4758267?v=glance

Rosenshontz: "I Drive My Mommy Crazy"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol. Just so you know, my summer camp can't sing Puff the Magic Dragon at camp any more because one year our CITs started doing hand motions to the song that lead the campers to think the song had another meaning. So yeah. Darn CITs.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"The Hokey pokey" (Dan Zanes reminded me)

"Hush Little Baby"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't need so much children's songs, but otherwise 'adult' songs that have been adopted by children.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm. The more I think about it, the more I think that what we think of as classic children's songs are actually folk songs.

"Big Rock Candy Mountain,"
"She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain,"
"Jimmy Crack Corn."

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OH, in that case, Teshi, how about the soundtrack to "Shrek?" Seriously.

"I like big butts, I cannot lie..."

Teshi
Member # 5024

So basically, pop/rock etc. songs about clean and fun topics, as opposed to the traditional "kids songs"

[Smile]

Yes! Good suggestion! I don't know the soundtrack but I'm sure that's more of what I'm looking for. [Big Grin]

[ May 01, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It does have the big butt song, but there are a lot of older person songs that kids decided were cool after that movie.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.

I have to say, I'd do a lot better without that "last 60 years" restriction. But I do have a few:

Tijuana Jail, the Kingston Trio
MTA, the Kingston Trio
Help Me Rhonda, the Beach Boys
Surfin' USA, the Beach Boys
I Want to Hold Your Hand, the Beatles
Wild Thing, um, the Rolling Stones? I'm not sure
That Was Your Mother, Paul Simon
I Know What I Know, Paul Simon
Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard, Paul Simon
Kodachrome, Paul Simon (although the lines "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school/ It's a wonder I can think at all" might make this one inappropriate)
Stranded in a Limousine, Paul Simon
Arkansas Traveller (many great versions of this old classic, I love Michelle Shocked's on Arkansas Traveller)

I hope some of that was what you needed; those all got me dancing as a kid, but none are real "kid" songs, I guess. I'll try to think of more. So many that I loved (and love) might be "inappropriate"... Some observations on what gets kids dancing, though: the Beatles, zydeco (try Alligator Stomp), South American or African music with a good beat, or some hot Celtic fiddle almost never fail (at least until kids get old enough to decide what music they "don't like" [Roll Eyes] ; I was raised with many, many kinds of music, and was teased on a regular basis because I didn't buy into bubblegum pop or pop hip-hop).

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Barbara Ann, the Beach Boys.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver is a lot of fun. And pretty much anything you hear on a light oldies station. (Oldies = post-crooner, pre-classic rock era.)

quote:
Wild Thing, um, the Rolling Stones? I'm not sure
Nope, that was the Troggs.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Texas Bluebonnets, Laurie Lewis
Diamond Joe, Laurie Lewis
When the Cactus is in Bloom, Laurie Lewis
(Hey Baby) Que Paso, Texas Tornados (gotta love Flaco Jimenez! I saw him at the State Fair two years ago, absolutely awesome.)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, kids love murder ballads, anything silly, anything with clapping, and most of all, anything that's supremely danceable. So if it makes you tap your feet (or want to jump up and twirl) and gets stuck in your head, it's a good bet kids will feel the same way about it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks, Verily. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going through a list of songs we played in orchestra, because I once thought about it as being perfect for kids, I'm mostly going through the ones written in the last 60 years but can do the rest if you like. (for anyone who knows me, it's NIght of Dance)

I will follow him
Rock around the Clock
Unchained Melody
Pennsylvania 65000 (that might be just a bit more than 60 years)
Moon River
Twist and Shout
I do it for you
Locomotion
Under the Boardwalk
Memory

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, I say the last 60 years because I wanted them to be something the kids could relate to and I thought '45 was about the bottom of that, but if you have a really great song, by all means!

[Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rockin' Robin. Gotta love Rockin' Robin.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
They Might Be Giants, "Istanbul"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, the 60 years thing, for me, is more of a "genre" issue; it's not as "pop" if you go back, say, 210 years. [Wink]

I could point you to some really awesome versions of "Oh, Susanna", though. And I think I did list "Arkansas Traveller", which is a minstrel-show tune.

[ May 01, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, yes, Dan_raven, my daughter loves that! And it certainly meets the "silly" criterion. [Big Grin]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Act soundtracks
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Chatanooga Choo-choo
Blue Moon (the 50's version... I'm at a loss...)
Barnacle Bill the Sailor, Louis Jordan (listen to it before you use it, but I think it's okay)
Beans and Cornbread, Louis Jordan

Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, it doesn't HAVE to be silly... But I think by virtue of appealing to children 'silly' is involved...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, just get Louis Jordan's greatest hits. Kids really love Big Band, although you wouldn't guess it to look at them, and he does some really great, funny, kid-friendly songs.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Teshi, see my above statement on what kids seem to like...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Cake does a really cool version of "Mahna Mahna."

Also, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sandra Boyton's got two really great CDs of songs for kids, Philadelphia Chickens and Rhinocerous Tap. They're just really fun, silly songs that pretty much anyone can enjoy.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, get Sam Cooke's greatest hits, while you're at it. Chain Gang, Everybody Loves to Cha Cha Cha, Cupid, Twistin' the Night Away...

And check out the Everley Brothers. Lots of great songs there.

Then there's Elvis: All Shook Up, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, Blue Suede Shoes...

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids favorite Beatle's song is "Bungalow Bill"

Oh, and of course "Hey Jude".

My kids tend to like really old, traditional ballads, like "Bedlam Boys", "Twa Corbies", "The Devil and the Farmer's Wife" etc, which might not work. And of course war songs. (Not even touching on "John Barleycorn" and the like)

[ May 01, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Kids love Wierd Al, too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, Paul, and Mary:
Leaving on a Jet Plane
Goodnight Irene
Kisses Sweeter Than Wine
Stewball
Blowin' in the Wind
If I Had A Hammer
This Land Is Your Land
It's Raining
River of Jordan
Light One Candle
Michael, Row the Boat Ashore
We Shall Overcome

Judy Collins:
Farewell to Tarwathie
Both Sides Now

Joni Mitchell:
Big Yellow Taxi
Chelsea Morning
The Circle Game
Morning Morgantown

The Mamas and the Papas
Dancing Bear
No Salt on Her Tial
Dream a Little Dream of Me

Suzanne Vega
Queen and the Soldier
Tom's Diner

Kate and Anna McGarrigle
Hard Times Come Again No More
Goin' Back to Harlan

Simon and Garfunkel:
Red Rubber Ball
Scarborough Fair/Canticle
Bye, Bye Love

Beatles:
Blackbird
Let It Be

Dolly Parton:
Islands in the Stream
Joshua
Coat of Many Colors
Eagle When She Flies
Light of a Clear Blue Morning

Emmylou Harris
Boulder to Brimingham
Wayfaring Stranger

Others:
The Rainbow Connection
Water is Wide
All Through the Night
Oh Susannah
Almost anything from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack and O Sister 2
Barbara Allen
Delta Dawn
Angels Watching Over Me

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like the The Unicorn, that one always went over big....hand signs and all... [Big Grin]

[ May 03, 2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

it was a Shel Silverstein poem first.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I only know the spanish ones. I doubt you'd be able to sing those, sorry.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, Mrs. M brought up "Big Yellow Taxi," and that's the other one I was trying to remember. My little siblings LOVE it. (something to do with the Shooo-bop-bop-bops)
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

And "Dragostea Din Tei," if you're that adventurous. [Smile]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "Return to Sender" by Elvis when I was little.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] @ Annie
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
::must resist urge to suggest "Closer" and "Wrong Way":: ::bites tongue::

(edit: Someone had already suggested weird al)

[ May 03, 2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.