FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Painting over varied surfaces...

Author Topic: Painting over varied surfaces...
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a white desk that I want to turn into a black desk. It looks very out-of-place at the moment. The desk surface is wood but it's been painted over. I assume I can just append another layer or two of paint and be fine, but what about the desk's metal components and plastic siding? There is a plastic strip running around the sides of the desktop. Will the same paint I use to paint the wooden surface do the job on the plastic, or do I need special paint? Can I also use the same paint to paint over the metal parts (all of which have already been painted once)?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the paint to adhere well you should sand all surfaces, especially the plastic. And hopefully someone else will weigh in on the type of paint to use... I know there are some that will work on the wood and not so well on the metal, and some that shold work on both, but I really don't remember which is which.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure about sanding the plastic. Definitely the wood and metal, though. But don't take my advice on the plastic. [Smile] I wouldn't.

[ May 01, 2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Sanding the plastic would be a bit of a pain because it's curved on the edges. I could do it, though, if it's a good idea.

How many coats of paint should I need? And is there any simple way to budget paint volume by surface area to be covered?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sand the plastic, then put down a coat of primer on it.

At least, that's what you need to do to get paint to bind well to plastic miniatures . . .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Is "primer" distinct from paint? Or is the primer just another name for "first layer of paint?"
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Primer is a distinct type of paint that will help keep the layer beneath it from showing through. It will also make whatever color you put over it look better.

As far as how many coats, I would say two, maybe three. Just make sure the previous coat is dry.

[ May 01, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Epictetus ]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Primer is a specific kind of paint, that does a good job of covering what is below and gives you a good surface to start from.

Sanding serves two main purposes... it makes the paint adhere better, so it's less likely to flake off, and it smooths the surface, removing imperfections, so the final result looks better.

If you're painting a dark color, like black, you might need two coats to get it to cover well. The paint can or helpful person at the hardware store should be able to tell you how much you need. Although you might check out spray paint, considering the different surfaces you want to cover. You'd have to haul the desk outside to do that, though. With spray paint, the trick is to put it on in a light, even coat. Otherwise it can kinda pool up, and that looks bad.

[ May 01, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*takes notes*
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ooooh, good call, BookWyrm! Listen to him, that's good advice. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a special kind of paint, lacquer, i think? which looks very shiny and snazzy on furniture. Or maybe you lacquer over the paint.

Where is that Punwit?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Does spray paint go everywhere? Because I could conceivably do it on my patio but it would be tight and I don't want my patio to be black. [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Use lots of newspaper underneath. Also, don't do it unless your patio is well ventilated. If its enclosed and not well ventilated, don't spray there.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

My patio is very well ventilated, and I'll definitely be using lots of newspaper. My concern is that the spray paint will wind up on, say, the railing, which would be very awkward to cover with newspaper...
ElJay
Member # 6358

You're talking like an apartment balcony type patio, yes? Don't do it there. Especially not on a windy day. Not only will the railing get it, but the side of the building, too. Also, don't do it near any parked cars.
twinky
Member # 693

Hm. Then spray paint is out. I can't really get the desk to anywhere suitable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.