FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » job search

Author Topic: job search
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time again. Time for the disillusioned youth of many a college to scrounge the cities looking for employment. And I guess I'm proud to say that I'm one of those disillusioned youths.

But I have a problem, to which there is no apparent solution. I've just been quite anxious about it recently.

Sometimes I have quite a bad stutter. Usually when I'm saying anything that comes from "me," so to speak, but it also comes from when I read or speak given lines aloud.

Being that waiting tables seems like my best choice right now, this makes me nervous.

I already know what word it's going to be. "Welcome." It's slowly becoming an enemy in my head. I'll walk up and say, "Hi, wwwww... uhhhh... wwww....... uhhh... uh uh uh uh welcome t... t... uh... to Chili's." And then when I've taken their orders about an hour later I'll receive approximately sixty five cents in tips.

However, I am a very stupid and stubborn person, and I'm not going to let this get me down. I'll take whatever job I can get and this'll be practice. I'll learn how to talk to people or die trying. Or take Winston Churchill's approach to stuttering and become an eccentric alcoholic. That seemed to work.

I often find that speaking in different accents helps. Beats me why. Maybe it has something to do with air flow that changes. Beats me.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I never thought about that before. The job market must get inundated by new college grads every April.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
They say that singing it helps too, even if you can't really sing well. It has to do with teh breath control issues.

Also, you could say Thanks for eating at Chilli's, rather than Welcome....

[ May 02, 2005, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Maybe I could get the message across via passionate interpretive dance.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I would leave serious tips for passionate interpretive dances.

As opposed, of course, to the humourous tips...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a dispassionate interpretive dance.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I'm sure it's easier than you think.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.