FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What if I get sick?

Author Topic: What if I get sick?
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to graduate college, and as soon as I do, I will no longer be under my parents' health insurance plan. Which means, of course, that I need to get my own. Any advice? I really don't know the first thing about insurance. I don't know where to start.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a full-time job. Insurance comes with those, usually.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I agree with the full-time job thing. Getting your own insurance is soooooo expensive. Without a full-time job you probably can't afford it...and if you have a full-time job you don't need it. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] Not always. And I don't think that's what she was asking.

I don't know anything about getting insurance in Ohio, I'm afraid. There should be a state agency that can help you find some info.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, it's the Ohio Department of Insurance.

You might be best off consulting with an agent.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, perhaps I should be more specific. I will be working at a summer camp until August 24. I don't know yet if they offer health insurance, but I'm thinking not. So I do plan to get a full-time job after that, but what about those three months?
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am about to graduate college, and as soon as I do, I will no longer be under my parents' health insurance plan. Which means, of course, that I need to get my own. Any advice? I really don't know the first thing about insurance. I don't know where to start.
Your parents plan might have a continuation option. You'd have to pay the premiums, but it would likely be cheaper than anything else available. It's not always easy to find out about; you may need to call around.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Some online resources:

Link
Another Link

HesterGray
Member # 7384

Wow, Rivka, you are chock full of information. Thank you!
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile] Hope some of that is helpful. I know that short-term insurance, while it often doesn't cover everything, can be relatively inexpensive. And Dags is right -- find out what it would cost to stay on your parents' insurance.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, if you have any preexisting conditions, don't let even day lapse - it will very likely make treatment of that condition not covered for one year.

Anything that developes during the gap would fall under the same policy, so it's best to have no lapse anyway. But if you do have a preexisting condition now, they'll definitely find out about it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*stabs preexisting conditions repeatedly*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered how they find out about preexisting conditions... can they tell from just looking at the patient, or does it have to be in a previous medical record? I don't really have any medical records beyond what shots I've gotten, so what would a new provider do if I showed up with a 4 year old tumor or something? (Just a hypothetical!)
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't your parents help hook you up with one, even if you're no longer covered by theirs?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're me, with a 3/4 time job with no benefits, you just hope you don't get sick, and when you do, you don't get to go to the doctor.

God bless America.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
When I fell out from under my parents insurance shield (both graduation and age restriction at once), I looked at the option of a CoraSERV extension. It wound up being around 600 dollars a month, for up to three months. Talk about cost prohibitive.

Since a major part of that is that my parents both have some major, and permanant, health issues, their insurance hit a peak of sorts. I'm paying around 100 a month right now for some much more than adequate BlueCross/BlueShield insurance. They seem to be a tad bit slow paying out the full amount, but they're very well known and haven't balked at any of my claims yet (not even my MRI). Oh and for the record I am employed full-time, and receive to assistance from my employer (not rare in Architecture sadly).

The moral here is that keeping continuous coverage is a good thing, and be sure to evaluate the costs between continuin coverage and starting your own.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister just graduated, and is dealing with the same issues. Her suggestion is to check with your school's alumni association. At Michigan, at least, all graduates are given a year's free membership to the alumni association, which can help with getting insurance.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.