FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CoH and Hatrack (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: CoH and Hatrack
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, someone had to take the initiative. The Canadian Maple (Stone/Ice tank) is on Protector right now. I will, before the night is out (I hope), create a super group whose name I've yet to decide. Unless the cut off to make one is still level 10, in which case it might be tomorrow night that I start it. I hope nobody is on this server yet, keeping us all at roughly the same level is the only way we're going to keep playing together (I'd think).

Come one, come all! If you're on tonight, I'll probably be around.

(@ Factor XIII)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
What does this mean? I'm a native English speaker, and yet I have no clue....
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking CoH is City of Heroes.....
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this is some sort of secret code telling strategically positioned Canadian commandos and guerillas to invade America.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a video game thing....

You wouldn't understand.

//end irony//

[ May 03, 2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
we'll be ready for those Canadian evildoers!

*sharpens knives* "Time to make me some Canadian bacon"

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is so... cryptic.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't play dumb—we all know you're a Canuck, too. Off to the detention camp for you!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan (thats your name right?), should we try to coordinate our powers?

Should I start my Controller over? (would like to slot some differently anyway, and perhaps a uniform tweek)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It is at that, Phil.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about coordinating powers, you can make just about anything work. Just pick whatever you think is fun and get a toon on Protector. You can tweak your costume at Icon stores and get your first respec at 24 if you don't feel like starting over.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Factor XIII?

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist. [Razz] )

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

That's actually where the name came from, accio. I was studying Factor XIII at the time I made the character. It just seemed like a cool name to me [Smile]
Xavier
Member # 405

Cool. Will do that either right now (before dinner) or in an hour or so (after dinner).

Just in case anyone cares about duplicate power sets, I plan on making another Gravity/Force Field controller.

And don't be alarmed to see me as a girl in the game [Wink] . I tend to be in the camp of "If I'm going to be starring at a toon's ass for 50+ hours, I'd rather it be a girl" camp. Though I will prally play around with a number of different toons to see which ones I like best.

[ May 03, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I plan on grabbing something to eat right now, so I'd do it after dinner [Wink]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be home in about 3.5 hours and will make a hero on Protector. I've long suspected that I'm going to have one of each AT on each server eventually anyway...

Xavier, I have 2 female heroes in CoH. Partly for variety, but one of them was specifically to make a hot, scantily dressed super-heroine that people would ogle and then horrible spines burst out of her body! Spines/Dark. Gotta love those powersets where you can't see your costume.

And for future playing, @ReactorRod is my global if I'm on as one of my other heroes.

Edit: And for anyone making new characters who didn't already know: In the tutorial, kill 100 "contaminated" enemies to get the Isolator badge. It goes a lot quicker if you finish the tuturial missions first, but don't go to the contact after the door mission, then team up with other people to do the kill- er, "arresting"

[ May 03, 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Enigmatic ]

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL: Holy crap, dude, have you been playing CoH for a whole year? It is May now, right?

(I, obviously, will not be CoHing with you, given my feelings about MMORPGs. [Wink] )

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Dude man, when I think about it I'm shocked and apalled as well. In my defense it was cancelled for most of the time I was at school.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well, all is forgiven in that case. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can't get on tonight, but my global chat handel is @Rancorr.... so friend me and we'll talk... Protector is fine with me.... so what are we going for? An EG sg? or a hatrack SG, or just a no theme have fun sg? anyway, is NO ONE going to address Teshi's comment? CRYPTIC?????? man either you are being fasecious(sp?), Teshi, or you have ESP.....N (in case you are wondering Cryptic Studios makes the game.... I think) Boy i'm confused.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I'm logging for the night. Hopefully we can get this SG up and running this week though.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

SmoG, I think we're just going do a Hatrack SG. Though if you have friends in game who want to join, I don't think we need to limit it to ONLY Hatrackers. IMHO, themed-SGs based on specific works of fiction tend to not be fun. You get way too many of the same type of heroes, and honestly Ender's Game doesn't lend itself to comic-book superheroes.

During the week I suspect I'll be on later than most people, but hopefully I'll play with more of you on weekends.

When we make the SG we need to pick two SG colors. I vote on the pastel yellow and purple that's the background of these posts, as there is no other color set that embodies Hatrack quite so well.
(Edit: maybe it's more blue. This monitor's a little wonky.)

Xavier, FF is a great set, but later in game you may find it doesn't go well with Gravity. Gravity's major power is Singularity, so you might want to try something that compliments that. Radiation and Kinetics are both really great with Gravity.
(But if grav/FF fits your hero better, ignore that suggestion entirely. The important thing is have fun with what you pick.)

I'm thinking my Hatrack hero will be Enig-o-matic, a robotic elec/elec or elec/dev blaster.

[ May 03, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Enigmatic ]

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I'm on now guys. The name is 'Genesis Blue' and my account name is 'Phil Meyer'.

I'm not quite sure how to global tell, but I'll try to figure it out.

Xavier
Member # 405

Hmmm. Well if Dan is off, I might be spending time in the character generator.

What time do you play Enigmatic?

[ May 03, 2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'm still at work for another 24 minutes, X. And I have a bit of a commute. Took me a while to figure out the global chat system too. I think the command is still /t but all the global names have @ at the beginning. So to send me a tell type "/t @ReactorRod, Hi!" (I think)

At home I have a link I can send you for more on the global chat. I'll actually set us up a Hatrack channel everyone can join so we can talk even on different servers, no matter which character you login as.

--Enigmatic

Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
Another go at a Hatracker SG? Count me in. I have an emp/def on Virtue who's lvl 32 at the moment. That's where I play most often. But I do have an old toon back on Protector that I could bring out again. Either that or start something new. Beatha on Protector...Liaison on Virtue...and @Galidh on global.
Has anyone else checked out the Arena on the test server? It's loads of fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am in...what do we need for builds? I have done most of the,...I really like healers and blasters...melee is cool too, but a bit of a pain....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Enig and I are online right now, but I'm going back to bed soon. We're all new toons on Protector, to date there's an Elec/Elec blaster (Enig O Matic), Stone/Ice tanker (The Canadian Maple) and a Grav/FF Controller (Genesis Blue). But, like I said before, pick whatever you like playing and we'll work it in.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier said he had to go to bed but has plans on playing all through the weekend.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Feel free to share any cool Super Group names you can think of too. Whoever hits level 10 first gets to make the final call, of course.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will probably do either a tank of a rad defender...probably def, we could use one...
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Since pretty much everybody has alts on multiple servers, I've setup a global channel for us, named "Hatrack." This way you can see who all is online and talk no matter what server you're on. Good for getting together to do team stuff.
In your chat window click on "Tab" select "Join Channel" and type "Hatrack". Or just type "/chanjoin Hatrack"

Here's a more detailed guide on global chat and setting up chat tabs to use it.

Join the channel and say hello. I'll be on for a bit more tonight and hopefully in the morning tomorrow.

--Enigmatic

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and log on this weekend. Should I break out my electric/energy blaster, or my Ill/Kin Controller (who I created BEFORE I knew that this was one of the 'uber' templates).

Or maybe a defender?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

So, here are the circumstances...

Niki (Valentine014), my girlfriend, is going away for a few days (see thread) starting thursday morning and lasting until monday night. Plus, she has class tonight from like 5-9PM.

Since most everything I do here is with her, that leaves many, many hours which I have nothing to do. Considering I just got this bright shiny new game, I can see myself playing it a ton between tonight and monday night.

The question is, what character should I be playing? I could easily get her (my controller) up to level 10, but then should I stop? I could have another character I use for the team if its a problem having me get ahead of everyone. I'm not a power gamer by any means, so even if I was ahead, I would still have fun leveling other people, but then again I wouldn't mind having two characters I play with...

[ May 04, 2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

The way I see it, just have one character that you play with other Hatrackers. Bring that character up to level 10, stop, and make another (and another, and another, and another. Once you start you just can't stop making characters). With global chat and global friends you can keep track of who's playing regardless of what server or character they're playing at the time, which will make getting a Hatrack guild together SO much easier. Just as long as you're comfortable with telling other Hatrackers to mess off if you're in the middle of something with another character. And hey, I know I am [Smile]
Xavier
Member # 405

I guess the question then is whether my current character is the one I want to use as my Hatrack character. Will have to think about that, and do a lot of expirementing with other types of characters.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

CoH has a great sidekicking system, so level differences aren't that big a deal if you want to play together. My controller was built specifically as a sidekick to my friend's character (he'd been playing longer and got me into the game). I was in single digits and playing in the high-20 zones. It's nice to be similar levels, but not the end of the world if you're not. You probably will still make a ton of alts, most people seem to.

In other news, the downtime for issue 4 this morning looks like it may go right up until I have to leave for work. I'll be on again tonight around 11pm central, but I probably won't be the first one to hit 10 on protector. My suggestion for the SG: Hatrack Heroes. Simple, to the point, alliterative, and a homonym for jatraqueros (or whoever you spell that). Ranks could be Landmark / ??? / Mayfly. I don't have an idea for the middle-rank yet. Maybe "addict"

Whoever makes it, be sure to pick a symbol and colors when you register the SG. Can't change those later and I've seen a lot of groups stuck with the default.

Enig O Matic

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
CRYPTIC?????? man either you are being fasecious(sp?), Teshi, or you have ESP.....N (in case you are wondering Cryptic Studios makes the game.... I think) Boy i'm confused.
Hm. Given a choice of one or the other, I seem to have ESP.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be starting a new toon on Protector momentarily. I've wanted to make an empathy defender with radiation for a while now...so that's probably what I'll do. As far as SG names go, I'm clueless. I'll leave that to you outrageously witty people. [Smile]
Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was studying Factor XIII at the time I made the character.
Bob,
Were you studying Factor XIII in particular or bleeding disorders in general? Among the bleeding disorders, Factor XIII deficiency is very rare one. I’m just curious.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Factor XIII specifically.
Xavier
Member # 405

I'm on right now in the hatrack channel. My handle is @Phil. I might be off and on a lot tonight, so post here if I am not on and you want to team up.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am making a new toon right after I post this...
Kwea
Member # 2199

OK...I haevn't logged on in about a week or so, so the updates are killing my comp speed....I will log on when I can, but as of right now it is applying 1 gig....;(
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I think this new patch doesn't like me. Just crashed, then logged back in and crashed immediately. TEH SUX!
Kwea
Member # 2199

We had a lot of fun tonight...we are also very close to getting the SG up and running, it will probably happen this week, probably by Sat at the latest.

My Global chat handle is now Kwea...I changed it. [Big Grin]

Xavier
Member # 405

Yeah, I had lots of fun as well. Its so cool to know that your team is made up of cool people, even before doing anything with them.

Can any of you more experienced players tell (or link) me how your skill sets progress? I have this thing where I plan out my characters/teams/decks for whatever game I'm currently into when I am bored at work.

Does your primary set open up quicker than your secondary? I get flight at 14 if I want, but when can I pick other power pool powers? Do the powers open up in the order they are displayed on your power list? Things of this nature.

I would DL the character builder, but I am at work and that would not be good [Wink] .

Xavier
Member # 405

I found a page over at the city of heroes vault to help me.

It looks like at level 8 I have these choices:

Gravity:
Crush
Propel
Crushing Field

Force Field:
Force Bolt

The Force Bolt power I have with my other char is quite useful for soloing, but not as useful for team (from my limited experience with it). I've read some guides that say its useful, others say its not.

The advice from my fellow hatrackers on Propel was not to take it. I've had advice not to take crushing field from others. I don't think I wanna take crush.

The other option is to go with another power pool. I have hover now, and plan on getting flight as soon as I can. I was looking over the other power pools for other possibilities. There's the other travel powers, but Flight is going to be my primary mode. From the non-flight ones, it looks like Leadership could work well. Good team buffs. I hear Stamina is a must, but I don't think I want to spend three powers to get it. So I hope controllers don't need the fitness set. I suppose I can grab hasten from the speed set...

Any advice?

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, get the program called HeroPlanner. Let's you mess around with power and enhancement choices.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Just not at work.... [Wink]

I like crush, myself, but it isn't a great choice at this level. I would ALWAYS use the Fitness set as a controller, as your powers are always end dependent, a lot more than a melee characters powers are.

Fitness is good for a number of reasons: Health and Stamina. The first, Swift, isn't great, but Health and Stamina are a must in my book, although you don't have to get them right away.

Heals are always useful to a team as well, particularly at these levels, so Medicine isn't a bad thing for a support character to have either.

As a controller, two things matter at a higher level....Pets and Holds. Anything that can hold either one thing really, really well, or hold large groups well....that is the primary focus for Controllers, usually, until they get Pets. Once you get Pets, slot the hell out of them if you can, it really helps.

Just my opinion, of course, there are many different ways to build a successful toon, but those points have been successful for me in the past.

Kwea

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

What Bok said, it's a great little tool.

I'm sorry to say that Stamina is pretty much essential for most powersets. It *is* possible to go without it and slot endredux in all your powers, but you'll probably go ballistic not having it. Mind you, you can get away without it for a while by relying more on your team, and you're welcome to go without it knowing you can always respec into it later, this character is pre issue 4 so you have a free respec banked up anyway.

Hasten is another one that's so crazy useful that most people can't imagine going without. Again, there are some sets that don't need it so much and can get by, but I don't think Grav is one of them. Grav is interesting in that it doesn't have a lot of control powers that totally shut down the enemies so you'll be wanting the ones you do have to cycle as often as possible.

Leadership is great for controllers, particularly tactics. 4-5 slotted with accuracy buffs it acts as an extra accuracy SO in all your powers and everyone else's (including your pets). You have to take maneuvers or assault to get to tactics though. Maneuvers if you can afford to slot it, assault if you can't (now that assault got buffed).

Propel is a *fun* power, but not a *good* power. If you like the idea of throwing cars/forklifts/pool tables/whatever at your enemies then grab it. But it will never do great damage for it's end cost and the animation is a long one. I had it for a while and the coolness wore off after a level or two.

Force Bolt is entirely what you make of it. It's handy to knock away mobs if you accidentally pull aggro from the tank or to knock stragglers closer to the tank or into rad debuffs or just stop that irritating boss from attacking by bouncing him. If you hover right over a mob they get knocked down and not back, so you won't upset melee as much that way. Basically, it's great if you're willing to take the effort to use it (and remember to use it when the opportunity arises) but it's not a lazy man power. I tend to be a lazy man, I tend not to take it [Wink]

Don't count crushing field out. It's an area of effect immobilization, so you can lock everything around the tank, lock all the mobs around the rad debuff, keep mobs grouped for blaster AoE, and generally control the battle field a little more. It also brings down flyers, which can be handy. Some people love it, some people hate it.

That'd be my take on it, anyway. I'm sure we could have a lot of arguments over what powers to take and when to take them. That's half the fun.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.