FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for OSC

Author Topic: A question for OSC
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, through the library of reviews and articles on your website, I have heard you opine on every sf whose work first interested me in sf except one. I was wondering if you have ever read anything by William Gibson, and what you think of his work if you have?

anyone else feel free to respond

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I know he said that he loved Neuromancer. And that he hated Neuromancer. Lemme see if I can find where it was.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
In reference to Gibson's work, I think he once said that he doesn't have any patience for characters whose lives aren't that great after they have destroyed their minds with drugs.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find the one I was thinking of, but I found some others. Here's (part of) one:
quote:
It happens that the first work of William Gibson's that I read was Neuromancer, his first and, so far, most successful novel. It was compulsively readable, and it achieved what so few science fiction novels ever do: a detailed near-future that is different from the present reality and yet is connected to it. The style and plot were reminiscent of the hard-boiled detective tradition, which I enjoy, but it was the mastery of milieu that made Neuromancer such an extraordinary book.

But it left a sort of bitter aftertaste in my mouth. It appeared to me to be a hopeless, despairing vision, which seemed to honor suicide and self-destruction in a world where almost no one ever created anything. It was morally confusing to me; I wasn't sure if Gibson meant me to adopt the hip but cynical attitude of the hero, or stand ironically aside and reject the moral stance of all the characters. I finally came to the conclusion that Gibson was a writer I should admire, while rejecting his moral worldview.

--Future on Fire, from the introduction to Dogfight

There's more, but that's something.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't for the life of me understand why people call Neuromancer a pessimistic novel.

SPOILER(?)
I take the theme of the novel to be: if man can create Hell on earth (the sprawl), he can just as easily create Heaven (Neuromancer) and/or a benevolent God (Wintermute). Case himself is a nihilistic man, but by the end he's helped to accomplish wonders. Part of what I took from the novel is that miracle-workers aren't always pure of intention and clear of conscience.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wasn't sure if Gibson meant me to...
Not being sure of what the author means me to think is one of my favourite things about Neuromancer.

[Smile]

[ May 04, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Dont Know] [Frown] was prety much my reaction to Neuromancer.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, especially Papa Moose
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.