FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Advice for Undergraduate Paper

Author Topic: Advice for Undergraduate Paper
Homonculus
Member # 7486

- posted      Profile for Homonculus   Email Homonculus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I'm writing a somewhat important paper on the impact that petroleum has on scientific research. Although I've found plenty of advice from Scientists and the such, I'd like to hear some fresh opinions on the matter.

Any opinions or positions you guys might have on the subject?

Thanks, appreaciated.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what you are looking for.

The impact of dwindling petroleum reserves? The various uses (newer and better plastics, f'rinstance) of petroleum in scientific research?

Whether you should or should not grease glassware for a good seal? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The importance of Vasoline?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whether you should or should not grease glassware for a good seal?
Always grease, but don't waste it. A tube of good high vac grease is ~$50.

Everyone laughs at you when you have to break the rbf to get at your compound trapped inside.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homonculus
Member # 7486

- posted      Profile for Homonculus   Email Homonculus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, seeing as this was a bit of a vague post, let me narrow it down. How about Oil specifically. The type we put into our cars. How much will it affect us in the long run? I need opinions...
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
What the waste from its combustion? Or when it runs out? Or how the study of alternative energy sources has been effected by fears of its demise?

If it is the fear of it running out, I must insist that you start with a mention of the fear of running out of copper early in the 20th century.

If this is really for you paper, why don't you post your thesis, or maybe an excerpt that you'd like some input on. Maybe its just me, but I think your revised post is also kind of vague.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You're still being way to vague. If you've got a thesis statement, post it. Otherwise, do your own homework.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a need to interject here. Professors could care less what we(Hatrack) think. They want you to find out what researchers and scientists propose as viable options. They expect that you will research thouroughly enough that you will find opinons to form your own thesis. You will then critique what these researchers have to say depending on your thesis. If your scientific research has not provided you with enough options, then I suggest that you continue to look for additional academic, research-based sources.

On other topics, welcome to Hatrack! [Wave]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Coccinelle, I haven't seen you around in a while. Good to see you again! How are you? [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm great! The stress of school is finally over! I just finished my last class. I'm graduating next week and I just got the most wonderful new job. Life couldn't be better [Smile]

What's up with you?

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Awful. But I'm really happy for you! [Smile]

I speak for Raia, without her permission!

[ May 06, 2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homonculus
Member # 7486

Excuse my vagueness. The reason why I'm posting here, is so that I might get some "abstract" opinions on the subject. The citizens of a country are the ones that are most affected by the "energy crisis".

What is your stance on alternate energy research?

Are hybrid cars an answer to the issue, or just a way around it?

Get the idea? It's around these types of questions...

Thesis (needs revision): The hold that foreign oil has on our economy must be alleviated so as to increase alternate energy research, and the benefits it is bound to bring.

Any ideas? I just want to know what YOU think.

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are hybrid cars an answer to the issue
Absolutely not. All they do is delay it a little bit. It would help even more if we carpooled or used public transportation instead of buying hybrids.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homonculus
Member # 7486

Good, that's the type of comment I need, please keep them coming!
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternative energy sources are a myth! A MYTH, I tell you. The truth is that oil is simply solar energy that has been stored over millions of years. There are only two types of energy that do not trace back to the sun (and arguments can be made that they do to, in a way, since in order to get to them, you have to use triggers that do come from the sun.) Those two are nuclear power and geothermal power. Everything else is from the sun. The only reason the second law of thermodynamics hasn't left the earth a lifeless and cold barren rock by this point is that this planet is the equivalent of a pot of water on a stovetop, and the sun is our stovetop. We are constantly bombarded with more energy than we will ever be able to use. We are only able to harvest it indirectly, though. Plants can harvest it dierctly, but then those plants are eaten, and the chemicals they have formed transfer energy to the animals, and the animals die, and sink into the swamps, and over millions of years become oil, which we then pump out of the ground to harvest the fire that the sun originally put into them. Or we harvest the energy of the water that was plucked out of the oceans and dumped on the side of a mountain as it rushes back to the sea.

When we use oil, we are simply using the solar energy of eons ago.

Enjoy writing your paper, Homunculus. I tried to get Hatrack to do my homework once when I was about sixteen. It didn't work. Most schools have an electronic library access to www.jstor.com which will serve you far better.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Alternative energy sources are a myth! A MYTH, I tell you."

Wow. Your whole post is a perfect example of how someone can be factually accurate while remaining completely wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice how the requests for homework/paper/etc. help increases exponentially as the semester draws to a close?

In other news, I was googling something random the other day, and was astonished by the number of sites that sell pre-written papers. Am I just being naive when I accept my students' work as their own? Cause that's just depressing.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.