FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warning: don't read if you're eating or otherwise squemish

Author Topic: Warning: don't read if you're eating or otherwise squemish
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky
quote:
An unsuspecting woman didn’t realise she was host to dozens of infesting maggots until her left cheek became so badly swollen that she needed an immediate operation.

Dr Tawee Thanuparp-rangsan, at Nakhon Ping Hospital, said yesterday that the 38-year-old patient came to see him at the end of March, complaining of severe pains in her left cheek.

“I checked her nasal cavity and found a lot of fly maggots there,” he said.

The doctor explained that the maggots had been feasting on tissue inside the patient’s nasal cavity, leaving large festering wounds. The maggots had already eaten away so much tissue that some of the patient’s bones were exposed, he added.

The woman was immediately anaesthetised and operated on. Tawee removed 34 fly maggots in all from inside the woman’s nose. “She then needed antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection for five straight days before being allowed to return home,” he said.

The patient was a pig farmer exposed to a huge numbers of flies on a daily basis. “Probably while she was sleeping, a fly went up her nose and laid its eggs, which then hatched into larvae,” the doctor speculated.

He believed this had been Thailand’s first reported case of fly maggots growing in a human’s nose. He added that had the woman delayed seeking medical help, thereby allowing the infection to spread to her brains, she would have likely died.

Um, yeah. :puking smiley:
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwwwwwww! Cool!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm. That was not a reaction I expected. Alrighty then. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that beats even spiders laying eggs in someone and then them hatching. Ick.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for real? I can't imagine how anyone would not notice a thing like that. Aside from the pain, wouldn't you feel their wriggling and get suspicious?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's for real. The Nation is a national newspaper in Thailand, not a gossip rag. Check out the link - that'll tell you.
Clincher
Member # 7395

- posted      Profile for Clincher           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not easily grossed out, but ewwwwwwww. Makes all the pranks you can do with a grease gun sound much better. [Wink]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It probably isn't, as maggots only eat dead flesh. They even use them to clean out wounds, as they won't touch healthy flesh.

quote:
Maggots are now once again gaining respect in the medical field. Their use even has a name, maggot debridement therapy or MDT. Maggots are efficient healers of wounds. This was recognized centuries ago when wounded soldiers whose wounds were infested with maggots healed better than those that were not infested. The reason for this is that the maggots used for this purpose eat dead tissues and leave the healthy, living tissues alone. They also excrete substances which inhibit and may even kill bacteria. This is especially useful in areas with poor blood supply that do not benefit much from antibiotics that cannot reach the area in adequate concentration to do their job.

Maggots have been known for their healing ability since the 16th century. Maggot therapy continued until the 1930s when their use in therapy was so common that over 300 hospitals in the US alone were using them. In the 1940s antibiotic therapy and surgical techniques replaced the use of maggots. Their superiority in certain cases to antibiotics was realized in 1989 when they were recognized to be more efficient cleaners of wounds than any other non-surgical treatment.

Scientists have developed techniques to farm maggots for medical use. Not all maggots can be used in medicine; only those that do not burrow under the patient’s skin and do not eat healthy tissues can be used. They do not multiply in the wound as they must leave it to pupate or they will die. When the maggots have completed their job, the doctor simply flushes them out of the wound. The maggots range from 1 to 2 mm in length when they are one day old and they reach a length of about 1 cm by their fourth day.

In order to ensure their sterility, scientists have developed techniques to farm maggots for medical use. The cost of maggot therapy is typically half as much as conventional therapy making it a very cost effective procedure. The only disadvantage of this type of therapy other than the yuck factor is the tickling sensation felt by some patients.

I guess some types could have done it, or at least that is what is implied in the article, but probably there was another problem there.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many types of maggots that will eat live tissue. The ones used medically are only very specific kinds -- only two or three species, IIRC.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The thingy you quoted even says that.
quote:
Not all maggots can be used in medicine; only those that do not burrow under the patient’s skin and do not eat healthy tissues can be used.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I could have maggots instead of a sinus infection? [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, unfortunately I have seen maggots feasting on live and (almost) well patients. There once was a baby bird that was hopping around our yard and I went over to try and move it out of the way so my dad could mow the lawn and all of a sudden maggots started popping out of its head, wings, back, everywhere.

Then there was this poor dog that wasnt being taken care of as well because the parents didnt seem to notice all the holes on its rump with maggots crawling out. Poor thing-at least we got all the maggots out after a while but boy did that take a long time [Frown]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There once was a baby bird that was hopping around our yard and I went over to try and move it out of the way so my dad could mow the lawn and all of a sudden maggots started popping out of its head, wings, back, everywhere.
That seriously sounds like something from a horror movie. [Eek!] [Angst]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a little goat once whose castration was done wrong. He then got very sick, and we were treating him for worms and everything else we could think of, not thinking to flip him over and look at his abdomen. It was only after he died that we noticed that his belly was swarming with maggots. [Frown] It's one of the saddest mental images I have, and has made me rather irrationally scared of maggots ever since.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Which just goes to show how important primate grooming is.. You catch those little bugs before they can do much damage. And then you munch on them to get the extra nutrients. Yummy!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad I've never encountered a maggot in real life. Houseflies are one of the few arthropods that I kill mercilessly when they enter my home instead of trying to direct them outside, and maggots are half the reason. [Angst]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
This brings to mind a scene from the movie 'poltergeist'....

Those that remember that movie will know the one.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] BLEEHHHHHHH....
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
YECH.

That is very horror movie-ish.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
This is grosser than having a bean sprout in your nose...It happened to a teacher's relative once.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is not the kind of "Fly Girl" that The Boogie Boys were singing about.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Talking or reading about this sort of thing does not gross me out at all. If I do not see a picture, I am fine.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
And the leach down the throat . . . geeyah . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewie, ewie, ewie!!!
That's so gross!

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually disappointed that the link didn't have pictures. That was awesome. [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altril of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altril of Dorthonion   Email Altril of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed in that sense too. But I make up with imagination... [Wink]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.