FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy birthday to me, or how I became a drunkard.

Author Topic: Happy birthday to me, or how I became a drunkard.
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I turned 21 (edit: well, now it is slightly more) than five hours ago. About nine minutes after midnight, I met a friend at a bar, where I celebrated with a glass of Killian's and an Irish car bomb. I had hoped to do the midnight thing for weeks, so I am very happy that it worked out. While at Shamrock's, I took a call from another friend with whom I had made earlier unrelated plans to meet up with in the wee hours. He told me to pick us up any beer I wanted, and he would pay for it.

After bidding my first friend farewell, I bought a six-pack of Killian's. The cashier said, "See you this weekend," at which I laughed and referenced my determination to get an early start. He, his roommate, a friend of theirs, and I then went for a country dip, where due to the chance of suffering a barbaric drug test I had to refrain from partaking of the joint being smoked. Upon returning, my friend and I killed the six-pack. (The other two were offered drinks but refused.)

The others then left to find more cannabis, so I drove home. (Enough time had elapsed for me to pass any breathalyzer necessary, though none was.) I write this post with beer in hand, eagerly awaiting the rest of today. My parents are taking me out to dinner tonight. For the first time, I shall order a drink when my father does. Afterwards, my legal friends are taking me out and getting me trashed. I have blacked out twice in my life, and this may well be the third time.

Turning eighteen was no big deal. I could buy lotto tickets every blue moon and cigarettes for people other than myself. Nineteen was bittersweet, being the last year I was a teenager. Twenty was fairly depressing, as I was shorter of breath, and one year closer to death, yet gained no privileges. Twenty-one will probably be the last birthday I celebrate in the sense of rejoicing in the age itself.

Alcohol ain't my favorite hard drug, but it is one of the more enjoyable to ingest. When I started taking totally illegal drugs at nineteen, my mother claimed she and my father could be held liable until today. I think she was wrong; maybe she was right; now it is irrelevant. Today, I can do legally what I have been doing for three and a half years. Today, I can pay it forward. So if any underage jatraquero is in Lexington, [material deleted] and that you do the same for those who come after you. I open another beer, one that was illegal when it was purchased two days ago, and wish myself a happier birthday than it already is.

[ May 05, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, happy birthday. We happen to share a birthday, but I've got you by a year.

Oh and good luck with that blacking out thing, if that really the goal.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Danzig! (And HollowEarth!)

[Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 20. We're stairstep Jatraqueros!

PS: Danzig, don't die or anything. I might feel sad for a little while. [Smile]

[ May 05, 2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything else going on in your life, Danzig? I'm less interested than you might imagine in the legal status of your drug use.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
What Tom said.

Plus, I really doubt the Cards are going to be happy with you offerring to perform an illegal service on their site. You might want to edit that part out.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Happy birthday HollowEarth and sarcasticmuppet. I promise not to die, and blacking out is not so much the goal as what I expect to happen anyway. I will be trying to remember everything.

Tom, I imagine you are only interested enough to comment. Just be happy for me. [Razz] But since you asked, I got laid off from my previous job, and just started a new one in sales where I was the second highest seller last week. I am hoping to gain experience, new skills, and a decent amount of cash from this one.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha, drug test. Well, at least it lets you concentrate on the substance newly legal to you.

Happy Birthday and have a good weekend [Big Grin]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
From one recently turned legal to another, happy birthday!

[Party]

(And no, I don't remember everything either).

The weirdest part for me was ordering a glass of wine at dinner with my dad, so I know EXACTLY how you feel on that count.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
At 25, you'll get better car insurance rates. That's something to look forward. At least more so than blacking out.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

I just bought some wine from this quaint little French shop. The proprietor even had an accent. This is actually what I have been looking forward to the most. My alcohol guy would usually get the right beer as long as it was something easy, but as far as wine went it was all I could do to get him to remember "the blue bottle". His idea of a "good" champagne was a $3.99 bottle of André.

I probably horrified the store owner by asking him to recommend a white, though. Oh well, I will learn. So far, MacMurray Ranch Pinot Gris is very pleasant.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently became legally able to drink, but I'm Canadian so I'm only nineteen.

Hapful Birthday, All!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the real world, I guess.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Nah, the real world is not until I turn 25 like zgator said.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
"Sales Job" = Telemarketing

I kid, I kid!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Do your insurance rates go down at 25 if you have any DUIs on your record? [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

You kid, but I would do it. I need the cash. Besides I hear those jobs are actually pretty fun for the workers.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I did it for a while, Danzig (also needed cash). It was NOT fun and I felt like I was stealing money from people who couldn't afford to just give it away.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Not something I have to worry about. [Smile] (Edit: that was to afr.) My days of driving impaired were few in number and a couple years ago. I may be light, but five drinks over four and a half hours is not that much. Besides I can always crash at whoever's place I am staying or call a cab. Responsible drunkards do not risk other's lives or their pocketbooks.

[ May 05, 2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Danzig ]

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Drunk driving is not funny, cute, or amusing. Getting away with it is not clever.

If you must drink yourself into oblivion, please do so out of the public sphere and keep your impaired self out of deadly machines.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Sorry, but I would have passed a test. As I said in my previous post, I have done it before (not proud of it) and I was not last night.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.