FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cleavage At The Gym (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cleavage At The Gym
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, Mama and I have been going to the gym pretty regularly (aside from sickness and out-of-town-ness, it's pretty much 6 times a week). And it's been good to increase strength and burn fat and lose weight and all that.

After working out earlier this week, I was showering, and as I was washing my chest I noticed something. I've got some cleavage. Ain't much (probably a good thing), but there are actually two distinct muscle groups on my chest, rather than one big wide one -- like suddenly having separate eyebrows instead of a unibrow. This says much more about the pathetic condition I was in before I started working out than it does about the great shape I'm in now (I've got a ways to go to achieve "great," even by my own reckoning), but it was still kinda cool.

I wouldn't have thought three months ago that the gym-cleavage I'd find most exciting would be my own. *Goes to admire self in mirror*

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
We come back to the age-old question. Is the important thing how good you look or how much you can lift?

So* how much are you bench pressing?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*is relieved* [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*is worried* [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that thread title will bring in a lot of, uh, attention. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the joking, how much you max is, to me, a pointless question. Frankly, it is only good for milestones (and not always that), but I'm much more interested in the (bi)weekly increases in my rep weights. That is, if I am doing cable crossovers and initially did 4 sets of 12-10 at 20, 20, 30, 30 lbs on each arm and am now, two months later, using 50, 60, 60, 70 lbs, then I am happy. Or with tricep push downs, going from 80 lbs to 160 lbs as a weight I do reps with, then good. I mean, I could try to max out, but what's that going to do, you know? I'm trying to involve the entire muscle in sustained and strenuous work. Maxes, IMHO, don't tax the muscle for long enough time in comparison.

FWIW

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get a bro, Papa Moose. Then you can start a thread about bro shopping.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry -- I was still admiring myself in the mirror. *smile*

I maxed at 245 thus far (200 pounds of weight on 45-pound bar). If I had a spotter, I could probably try 275 and be able to press it once with a minor chance of injury. But the 3x10 weight I've been doing is 205. When I do 225, it's more like 9-7-4. Those are all with bringing my arms to 90 degrees, though -- max bringing the bar all the way to my chest my max is 195, and my shoulder pops. I really really don't want to cause damage to my shoulder. Again.

--Pop

[Edit -- typo]

[ May 06, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

sheesh! Doesn't everyone know it's Manzier, not BRO?

[Razz]

[ May 06, 2005, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I maxed at 245 thus far (200 pounds or weight on 45-pound bar). If I had a spotter, I could probably try 275 and be able to press it once with a minor chance of injury.
I can bench-press 50 pounds. [Big Grin]
About 5 times...

*flexes muscles* [Wink]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
*feels ripped off about lack of female cleavage being discussed in this thread* [Grumble]
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Female cleavage at the gym can be far too hypnotic, and makes me lose count. I think I did like 300 leg curls once....
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to not address the subject of female cleavage, but as far as the gym goes, I feel like a supreme wuss only being able to do 30lbs. on the reverse pec thing, but then I go to the back machine where I put the peg about two-thirds down the stack, and I feel better. Same with the leg sled.

And I agree about the upping weight vs. max thing.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Thats cool Pop.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can lift an insane amount of weight with my legs due to fencing. But it isn't max what I'm after--it's the muscle definition. It's so cool being able to see muscle rippling underneath the skin.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hardly carry 20 pounds, let alone bench press...I'm not much of an exersize person.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

I use no gym. I do pushups (currently 70 per day) and situps (only about 30 per day). I ride bikes and walk constantly.

I'm only interested in maintaining stamina and providing myself with aerobic excercise. Keeping up with a seven-year-old can be challenging!

Good point about the hypnotic qualities, however.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, congratulations. It's great to start seeing the results of a workout regimen.

if you want to see some dramatic changes in definition, switch to dumbell exercises for a while. You'll have to go down in weight - probably to 70 or 80 pound dumbells at the top - but you shoud use slightly different parts of the muscles, which will define them better. You'd want to start at lower weight for a workout or to to practice form.

Your body is remarkably good at optimizing itself - you need to keep switching things up on it. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I read that no matter how out of shape you get, you can achieve 100% of your aerobic capacity at any age. That was encouraging.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Hypnotic indeed. Like the very attractive girl on the treadmill in a sports bra wearing headphones. And I notice she has no MP3 armband nor anything on her waist. So where do her headphone wires disappear to? Where is that MP3 player being held, I wonder? People want to know! And lo and behold...!

Also hypnotic are the women doing Lying Leg Curls. [Big Grin]

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually think that cleavage at the gym should be mandated. It really helps get through those tedious cardio exercises...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

And people wonder why I won't do those type of leg curls. EXACTLY THAT!
no. 6
Member # 7753

Maybe I should rethink this gym thing....
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, I do believe a woman has to know she is displaying herself doing that exercise. You can do the same thing with the seated leg curl

I will have to think about a new mandated rule...

zgator
Member # 3833

The fire has been officially lit below my butt now. I'm going to start back working out next week. Of course, it's in my garage and I have no mirrors, so it will be cleavageless.

Can you send me a picture, Pop?

Ian, I agree that a max doesn't really mean much except for competition. I use to be on the HS weightlifting team and did fairly well. But it occurred to me one day that there wasn't much point in benching 285 lbs if girls didn't think you could. It's much better to look like you can lift a lot than actually be able to do it.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

quote:
Can you send me a picture, Pop?
*Imagines huge posters of Papa Moose's cleavage all over your garage to simulate the gym atmosphere*

[ROFL]

zgator
Member # 3833

I wonder if he'll start another thread when he learns how to flex them separately and make them dance.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I do that occasionally when I get bored, though it looks interesting, being a female and all...
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]

I'm excited that the sinus infection is finally brought under enough control that I can exercise again. I got to fence a full practice last night (and then some), FINALLY. It was great. Of course, I'm tired and sore (yeay!), but whatever.

I have a tournament tomorrow. I was supposed to enter two events, but I figure it'll be safer to enter one because I'm still on antibiotics (21 days of Augmentin XR starting today after being on Levaquin for the previous ten days. The bacteria wil be DEAD DEAD DEAD!) and just barely got well enough for exercise.

I just hate losing the time at fencing and the gym. [Mad]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Pop!!

Of course, now you will have to stay in shape the rest of your life or you will need a manzier.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
mac, are you taking a probiotic to go with all those antibiotics? (nag, nag)
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Relative standards on upper body strength, Alt.

Men tend to be stronger, which means we talk about much higher weight, relatively.

I don't feel (well, I try not to feel) like a wuss next to guys benching 300+ pounds and doing 60+ pound bicep curls.

Gym Cleavage

Ladies, if you're going to wear tight outfits, we're gonna notice. Fortunately, I was going to the YMCA which catered to mostly older members and families - I only had two cases of whiplash for the six months I was going. [Big Grin]

The drawback - as Moose observed, it can be amazingly difficult to focus on your form when something in a sports bra and tights is panting, sweating and exerting next to you. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

So, how much do all of you pay to excercise? Is it worth it?

I mean, I can watch joggers for free, but this sounds like a much better opportunity.

IanO
Member # 186

The local community college has a state-of-the-art gym (and will do free evaluations, including body-fat analysis- using some kind of pod chamber) and the cost is $70 for 5 months. That's cheaper than you could ever get at Bally's or Gold's, which are around $70-$90/month, IIRC.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh. I realize you're joking, but oggle too much and you'll get your membership revoked.

I forget what I was paying at the Y, but it was reasonable for me.

By going to the gym, I had access to a wide selection of weights, weight equipment and the cardio room.

Staying home, you have to be more motivated to do your routines and not get caught watching tv or napping or any of a dozen things you won't be able to do in the gym.

Additionally, for me it was a way of compartmentalizing and focusing - at the gym, I'm focused on the gym and not other stuff I have to do.

Tip
While I've found attractive eye-candy to be too distracting when I'm trying to focus on my form and rep count, you can visit a gym during the hours you would normally attend and get an idea of the kind of membership it has.

This also applies to things like kiddie programs - during the summer, I was always in danger of being trampled by the hundred-odd children in the Y's summer programs as they stampeded down the hallway. [Big Grin]

Free tip - gyms near colleges can be a lot of fun. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I pay so that I can use all the freeweights and nautilus machines, and the elliptical when it's crappy out and I don't want to run in it. It's just $19/month, and when I'm not sick, I go 4 times a week.

I also do not wear tight fitting clothing. *twitch* Talk about being embarassed!

...probiotics?

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why there are such things as "women only" gyms. I guess some women enjoy being oogled, but others just want to exercise. [Razz]

And while some guys are vocalizing their wish for gym-going-ladies to wear tight clothing, I take it these same guys aren't wearing spandex bottoms themselves. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I do generally swim in a Speedo.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
In a very, very quiet corner of my mind I usually try to shush, I admit that one of the perks of going to gym is the gorgeous male scenery.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked my paycheck deductions and they are still deducting my fitness center membership contribution, which I haven't used in well over a year. Now I'm motivated to start using it again. In fact, I think I will bug out a little early today, grab some workout clothes from my apartment and go work out before the motivation leaves me.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me, a gym membership subsidy is part of my benefits package. I should see if that applies to my tennis club membership.

Edit: katie, even if I believed you I think it's more important to be honest about it than to stifle those sorts of thoughts. [Smile]

[ May 06, 2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

[Big Grin]

Mixed bag Bev - some guys do wear tight outfits and strike a pose every time a woman walks by.

The YMCA I used wasn't a meat market, but there are a number of gyms that are the "new singles scene" and not just a place to exercise.

Which is another reason to check out the crowd first before signing up.

-Trevor

Edit: And really, I have to admit I'd rather gorgeous women in tight outfits not try to use the weight room while I'm in there.

With the best of intentions, I can't help sneaking a look and if I'm not screwing up my own form, the yutz next to me is dropping a 45 pound plate on my foot. [Taunt]

-Trevor

[ May 06, 2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

IanO
Member # 186

quote:
And while some guys are vocalizing their wish for gym-going-ladies to wear tight clothing
Hmmm. Not sure I'd go that far...And I'll leave it at that. I certainly am not wearing spandex. Why inflict that on others? [Wink]
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti,
quote:
I do that occasionally when I get bored, though it looks interesting, being a female and all...
Thanks for that mental image. [Wink]

[ May 06, 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

While a lovely image, it doesn't compare to being the straight guy at a table while two rather well-endowed women and a gay man started discussing the physics pertaining to the difference of real versus augmented boobs in moving in opposition. [Big Grin]

While I was cheerfully intoxicated, the gist of the argument was - apparently augments move in perfect harmony while real have subtle imperfections that prevent them from obtaining the same synchronization.

Worse - I watched one girl peer down and do a little shake while heading to the lady's room.

It was an interesting night. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"This is why there are such things as "women only" gyms. I guess some women enjoy being oogled, but others just want to exercise."

Yup.
It is fun to be ogled, perhaps after fitness has been achieved, but not while it is being worked toward.

And for whatever reason, I think a bit of a belly on a man is sexy.

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooohhh, oohhh, Elizabeth thinks I'm sexy! Yayyyy!!!!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Dude, I think you're sexy, and I'm entirely hetero. Just sayin'.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

And I think the fact that you think Punwit is sexy is sexy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.