FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for LDS

Author Topic: A question for LDS
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean this to sound adversarial, I am truly interested in the answer.

What is the basis for the LDS Church's ban on alcohol consumption?

According to the bible Jesus changed water into wine at one time, and at another he commanded his apostles to drink wine (which he served).

I know LDS church doesn't take the bible literally, but these passages don't seem to me to be the result of mistranslation.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It's called the "Word of Wisdom." It was what we consider a revelation given to the prophet Joseph Smith concerning what is good and not good for the body.

The Word of Wisdom in LDS scripture.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days...
We're not just talking about fortified wine(alcohol content is greater than what natural yeast fermentation could give), nicotine-enhanced cigarettes, and caffeine-charged beverages. The conspiracy permeates the entire food and drug industry.

It would be wise to grow, harvest, and prepare for ourselves everything we take into our bodies. Or at least get as close to a pure, trusted source as we can.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks proscribed
Is that last part taken completely litterally? So something like hot chocolate is banned?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that link very interesting afr, I'd heard of this but never actually read it. A few things about it made me curious.

quote:
7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
quote:
17 and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks
By strong drinks, I would assume that it means hard alcohol. Verse 17 appears to verify this and make milder drinks acceptable. However, I know that Mormons do not drink lighter drinks like beer. Is this due to another revelation or is this verse interpreted to mean beer as well?

quote:
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
This just confused me. Is wheat the best type of grain for man? Are corn and bad for man? [Confused]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot drinks refers to coffee and black tea. Herbal teas, hot chocolate, hot fruit drinks are all fine.

We don't consume any form of alcohol, whether it be hard liquor, wine, or beer.

We have no restrictions on the types of grains we can use as food. I know I've known at one point, but with my goldfish memory, I don't remember anything anymore about the history or relevance of that section. Someone else with a better memory than mine will come along and explain it.

(Good thing I proofed this post. I was leaving out words helter skelter. Sheesh! I think I'm entering the realm of sleep deprived again.)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if barley is ground and roasted it makes a decent coffee-like drink that's caffine free. Not too commonly used among mormons--the one I've had was made by a Seventh Day Adventist company.

I think that's the type of "weak drink" being reffered to.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
When it was first introduced to the world, the Word of Wisdom wasn't an absolute requirement. It was a guide for members of the church on the matter of what is healthy and what isn't. Several years later, it was declared that every member must follow the Word of Wisdom. THAT revelation declared the things which were to be completely avoided if one was to remain worthy of temple attendance. This is a big part of why many people get confused by the D&C version of the Word of Wisdom. We would certainly benefit from following that revelation, but the later one prohibits specifically the use of alcoholic drinks of any kind, coffee, tobacco, tea, and abuse of any drug that will alter one's state of mind. The actual wording used to explain the requirements of the Word of Wisdom as it pertains to Temple worthiness is excluded from the D&C, as it would have been simply redundant.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, if barley is ground and roasted it makes a decent coffee-like drink that's caffine free.
Postum? I know many mormons who drink that, though I've never really liked it (Except with a LOT of cream and sugar).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a report on the radio that said vanilla is more addictive than... well... something. [Wink] It was probably caffeine. And as a result food corporations put vanilla in a vast array of foods that normally would not have vanilla.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The story goes something like this:

Joseph Smith often held meetings with lots of spitting tobacco consumed by the attendants. As explained by Brigham Young, Emma was always cleaning this mess up and got tired of the duty. She asked Joseph Smith if there was anything that could be done about the problem. Joseph Smith prayed about it, and ended up with what today is called the Word of Wisdom.

Although some of the information and requirements are scientifically outdated (because of improvements in growing and perserving food), it worked well for the time it was revealed. At first it was merely a suggestion for better health, although with physical and spiritual blessings to attend the practice. Several decades after its reception, the WofW became a kind of spiritual law. During the early 20th Century the WofW became a lifestyle requirement rather than simple suggestion.

As to your statement about Jesus Christ, it is unfortunate that too many LDS back-age this revelation to a time that it has no relavance. For perhaps thousands of years wine or beer was safer than drinking water. On the other hand, critics of the Word of Wisdom who use Jesus Christ's example go too far in demonstrating that alcholic drinks were used. They were often low yield and mixed with water as a purifier, and heavy consumption was still looked down upon. That is why Jesus was accused of being a wine-bibber as a negative trait.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
From History of the Church, Volume 1, page 106:

quote:
Early in the month of August Newel Knight and his wife paid us a visit at my place in Harmony, Pennsylvania; and as neither his wife nor mine had been as yet confirmed, it was proposed that we should confirm them, and partake together of the Sacrament, before he and his wife should leave us. In order to prepare for this I set out to procure some wine for the occasion, but had gone only a short distance when I was met by a heavenly messenger, and received the following revelation, the first four paragraphs of which were written at this time, and the remainder in the September following:

1 LISTEN to the avoice of Jesus Christ, your Lord, your God, and your Redeemer, whose word is quick and powerful.

2 For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins.

3 Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, that you shall not purchase wine neither strong drink of your enemies;

4 Wherefore, you shall partake of none except it is made new among you; yea, in this my Father’s kingdom which shall be built up on the earth.

5 Behold, this is wisdom in me; wherefore, marvel not, for the hour cometh that I will drink of the fruit of the vine with you on the earth, and with Moroni, whom I have sent unto you to reveal the Book of Mormon, containing the fulness of my everlasting gospel, to whom I have committed the keys of the record of the stick of Ephraim;

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Verse 5 of the abovementioned section suggests that the Word of Wisdom is a temporary commandment.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.