FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon Schedule and Planning Thread: RSVP for dinner; GOOD FOOD! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DallasCon Schedule and Planning Thread: RSVP for dinner; GOOD FOOD!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, I wanted to get with everyone on our planned schedule so far, and such.

Here's what we've got:

FRIDAY: People start arriving. Rivka's getting in before noon, that's the earliest I know of so far. Ketchup Prince Consort, Ketchup Princess, and I will be picking her up at the airport and taking her shopping. We will be accepting calls pretty much all day asking for directions, addresses, or anything else you need, as much as we can get it for you. I will give you all that phone number, and will try to have all such information with me. [Smile] You are welcome to arrive at any time, just be advised not to call me before 9 CDT that morning.

Once Rivka's done with her shopping, and possibly a side trip to visit a friend, and everyone else is getting settled at the hotel, we may want to hang out a bit and get to know each other. If anyone is interested, we may do some "getting to know you" type games. Before dark, Rivka and I will be writing names on a birthday cake. Everyone's input is welcome. This is the time to remind us of who goes on the cake, if you haven't already. (So far, I have Katie, Will-- is he still coming? He's attached to Jim-Me, right?-- and me. Anyone else with a May or June b-day, please let us know...)

Dinner Fri. will be on a "whatever you guys want" basis. If a group or individual wants to go out, fine. If you want to order pizza, fine. If you want to eat food you shopped for or brought with you, fine. There are plenty of places to choose from around (see this thread).

I figure after we've eaten, we'll pretty much hang out, since most people will have traveled that day and probably be a bit tired and it's Rivka's sabbath. Rivka's bringing card games, and you are all welcome to do the same (we probably will, too). Also, I know some fun improv games, if anyone likes those. Everyone may also want to get some rest in preparation for Saturday, especially if you're planning on being out and about.

SATURDAY: There are several things to do on Sat., if you so wish. Again, some of us will just be hanging around and hanging out, playing games, chatting, whatever. We'll have a DVD player that can hook into a TV in someone's room if anyone wants to watch a movie. The train station is right by the hotel, and we'll be within fairly easy driving distance of a lot. There are historical sights to see or museums and such downtown; also the Dallas World Aquarium isn't too long of a drive, if anyone wants to go. (If just a few want to, we have a zoo membership that gets two adults (well, technically, us, but they NEVER check), children, and a guest in free to the zoo or aquarium.)

Anyway, breakfast and lunch are again catch-as-catch can. Do what serves your needs and wants, but be warned that you might want to have lunch a bit late, as we're going for a late dinner. At some point Sat. afternoon or evening, we'll be having that cake (you know, to tide us over until dinner-- hey, it's vacation!)

SATURDAY NIGHT: This is the part I want everyone to pay attention to. Are you paying attention? Good.

Saturday night dinner is the one thing I would like as many people as possible to do together. I understand if you have kids and don't want to be out that late; I'm sorry if this is the case. I really wanted to have one "going out to dinner together", and this is the night that's not anyone's sabbath.

Anyway. We will be eating at a kosher vegetarian/dairy Indian restaurant. It's about 15 minutes drive from the hotel (give or take a little). We will be caravanning at around 9:20 or 9:25, for reservations at 9:40 or so. Anyone not staying at the hotel, or even not really participating, but in the area, is welcome to attend, but you need to give me notice NOW. I absolutely positively need a head count on who is going to dinner that night. I need it by Mon. afternoon, when I am going to be speaking to the restaurant about accommodating our group at such a late hour. That's this Monday, folks. If you do not reply here, I will be e-mailing you until you respond.

After dinner, we'll see what happens. Painting the town red, roustabouting, and raising heck are options that may be popular. [Wink] (Revenge of the Sith will also be out, if anyone wanted to do a late night movie.)

SUNDAY: Katie has generously volunteered to cook breakfast for everyone Sunday morning. (Rivka, we'll make sure you have some Krispy Kremes and milk and fruit or something.) However, she may be out of town because of unavoidable family circumstances. ( [Frown] (((hugs))) for Katie.) If so, we will all miss her and eat whatever we have or want for breakfast. There's an IHOP across the street.

My family will be attending at least one hour of church that morning; anyone who wishes help locating or getting to a church service of any type need only ask, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.
Other than that, it's basically another hang-out-or-go-out kind of day. Some will be leaving that afternoon; if you know, now might be a good time to let everyone know when you'll be coming and going.

So, to recap:

That's the schedule as I see it so far. If there's anything you want to do or plan, feel free to discuss it here. I really need a head count for Saturday dinner, please respond ASAP. If you have any concerns, questions, problems, or whatever that the group can help you with, now would be a good time to raise them. [Smile]

Okay, so that’s it. I’m excited, how about you?

[ May 16, 2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming in Friday, early afternoon.

I'll definitely do the dinner on Saturday!

May or June birthdays? Mine's June 23...

I'll be leaving Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Haven't decided yet. Probably won't decide until then. [Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
June 23? Would you like to be sung to? [Smile] Give us your real first name, and we'll stick it on the cake. Of course, you could do it by e-mail, if you prefer.

Thank you for your prompt response. [Smile]

[ May 07, 2005, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going! [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Smile] Rayann
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Steve. Unless your intent was to bump the thread, which I suppose I can appreciate, that's not very nice. I'm trying to keep this thread dedicated to planning. Please refrain in the future. Thank you.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, Boon, we'll put you on the cake, then. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We will be eating at a kosher vegetarian/dairy Indian restaurant. It's about 15 minutes drive from the hotel (give or take a little). We will be caravanning at around 9:20 or 9:25, for reservations at 9:40 or so. Anyone not staying at the hotel, or even not really participating, but in the area, is welcome to attend, but you need to give me notice NOW. I absolutely positively need a head count on who is going to dinner that night. I need it by Mon. afternoon, when I am going to be speaking to the restaurant about accommodating our group at such a late hour. That's this Monday, folks. If you do not reply here, I will be e-mailing you until you respond.
Put our crew down for FOUR for this meal.

Can you also give me a ball-park figure on the cost-per-plate for this place? I mean, just so I don't have sticker shock at the table -- but can instead plan ahead a little... [Wink]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Will will be there... and I am in for Saturday evening, probably with a guest.

Saturday day I and mine will be up for Dallas Zoo or Dallas World Aquarium visits as I have family memberships to both :-). The World Aquarium is much more expensive, but also very cool and worth seeing so whatever y'all feel like [Smile] .

Am probably going to Scarborough Faire on Sunday, if anyone else feels like a renaissance festival. I believe Fistail and co. are tagging along for that and may have room in their car.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you. FG, it's probably about $10-$20 a meal, $25 at most. (That includes drinks and such.) Indian restaurants almost always serve food "family style", meaning everyone gets a plate, they give you a big platter of rice, and entrees are served in dishes. It facilitates easy sharing, so instead of each choosing a dinner per se, four people choose four dishes and all share. Much cheaper that way, and fun, too.

Jim-Me, will your brood be around earlier to eat cake? [Big Grin]

Um, I haven't heard from Fishtail in a while. Will said Tail be at the dinner?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, upon looking it up, a restaurant guide has it at under $10 to $20. [Smile]
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've received the offical 'ok' from ketchupqueen to toss my contribution into the scheduling mix, so if any of those attending would be interested in back/foot rubs or massages, please let me know. Right now it looks like I'll be available during the day on Saturday and Sunday.

(I'm figuring there won't be room in any of the hotel rooms for an actual massage table, so I preemptively blame any substandard work on unfamiliar working conditions. [Big Grin] [Wink] ).

Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

[Smile]

I have a family membership to the Tulsa Zoo, which is a member of the AZA. That means I can also get into the Dallas zoo for free also.

And, let's not forget the karaoke machine I'm bringing...the only thing we'll need to run it is power and a TV. Not that we have to...

[Big Grin]

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, unless something totally unexpected happens or it turns out that I'm more broke than I think am (which would be quite a feat), I'm coming. So does anyone have a bed/floor/closet/bathtub in their room where I can sleep?

I'll probably arrive sometime early afternoon on Friday and I have no idea when I'll leave. It's not like I have any plans for May right now.

I'll definitely be going to dinner - it's Indian food! How could anyone pass that up?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Risuena, so far our room has Boon and Farmgirl's daughter's friend. I'm sure we can fit in one more. The hotel may even be able/willing to provide a cot.

(Of course, this assumes I actually get my act together and reserve a room. But considering that I managed that for both BobNDanaCon and KamaCon, I wouldn't worry overmuch on that account.)

Uhm, I am remembering correctly that you are female, neh?

Lurker-Girl, I've been cajoling my local professional-masseuse friend to come beat me up for ages. Count me in! [Big Grin]

kq, count me as one for the headcount. [Wink] But you knew that.

quote:
Okay, so that’s it. I’m excited, how about you?
*bounces*

[ May 08, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I'm female. And even if we can't get a cot, I've got a sleeping bag or air mattress if we don't mind bending hotel rules and regulations...

And as for being excited, now that I've finally made up my mind to come, yeah, I'm exicted. [Wink]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sings* There were four in the room, and the little one said, "I'm crowded, roll over!"

[Big Grin]

Actually, my understanding is that hotels have to allow up to two guests per bed. So in a two-bed room, four guests is perfectly allowable.

*goes off to experiment with the hotel's online booking -- just to see what it allows*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, in a two-bed room, four guests is allowed. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

And their website agrees. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They also told me that specifically. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*up*

I need replies. Really.

Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

- posted      Profile for Lurker-Girl   Email Lurker-Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize how tired I was when I was posting the other night, and I apologize for the miscommunication. I'm currently an intern, not a RMT--the test isn't until September. FWIW, I'll have about 100 hours under my belt and should be finished with my internship by DallasCon.

So if you're still willing to let me beat.....er, work on you..... [Wink]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, I didn't think you had gotten your license yet (in fact, I was wondering if this was for practice hours [Wink] ). So no worries.

Beat away! [Big Grin]

Boon
unregistered

:bumpityuppity:

I'm too excited to just let this thread sit on page three!

rivka
Member # 4859

*guiltguiltguilt*
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yes, the kids should be around for cake and stuff [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

BTW, if we're getting pizza, I recommend Picasso's, right there. Good stuff!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So*, kq, were you still thinking of watching a Bollywood movie? (I know, I know, I don't matter, I can't come! :whine:)
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I would be interested in watching one, maybe sometime Sunday?
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Rivka, I've got my instruments of torture all lined up and ready for you. [Evil]
rivka
Member # 4859

O_O

You don't just use your hands?

Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Oh, well, sure, if you want the *boring* version..... [Evil Laugh]

Yes, I just use my hands, but I've always been tempted to have a display of some of these just to see what people's reactions would be:
link

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'd say, bring it on, except for this one

quote:
Wake up your head with "The Tingler"
That one, I'd pass on. [Razz]

So, I've got a reply from everyone but Fishtail. I'm assuming 14 is a good number for dinner. If anyone wants to change it, change it now, because I'm talking to them today. [Smile]

Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

The 'Tingler' reminds me of a really bad prop for a low-low-low budget scifi movie. My favorite are the Bongers: 'You'll get years of enjoyment bonging your friends.' [ROFL]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You know what it reminds me of? The Muppet Movie, where Kermit is put in that brain destroyer thingy!
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

<wanders off in search of said movie to refresh my memory>
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bump*
Boon
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
*guiltguiltguilt*

Does this mean I'll be sleeping in the parking lot?

[Eek!]

[Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker-Girl:
Yes, I just use my hands, but I've always been tempted to have a display of some of these just to see what people's reactions would be:
link

EEP! Uh . . . on second thought . . . *flees*

quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
quote:
*guiltguiltguilt*
Does this mean I'll be sleeping in the parking lot?

[Eek!]

[Wink]

Um, let's say probably not, but I cannot yet be absolutely certain?
Boon
unregistered

Would it help that I can contribute to the room cost after all?

[Kiss]

rivka
Member # 4859

Cool! The three of you are STILL fighting over the second bed, though. [Wink]

Really, what would help is me having ten minutes during the school day AND remembering during that time to find this thread and call the hotel. I was really close yesterday, but remembered about 2 minutes before I had to head off to teach my next class. I was worried that wouldn't be enough time.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You should write it down on a paper and stick it in your pocket. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Rarely do I have pockets. And when I do, I never look there for scraps of paper.

Actually, what I should do is email my work and regular emails with the info.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, there you go. I bumped the thread for you. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Emails sent.
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Aww--I scared Rivka away! [Cry]

......Wait--that means I don't have to show up, right? [Taunt]

rivka
Member # 4859

Not a chance!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you don't meet me, I'll never get to have you over for dinner. [Taunt]
Lurker-Girl
Member # 7802

Not a chance of scaring you off? Oh, good....

'I'd like to order the bongers, the tingler and what the hey, throw in the nukkles, too!' [Wink]

KQ, thanks for saying 'have me over for dinner' and not 'have me for dinner'.....I've read some things about the way newbs are greeted around here. [Angst] [Wink]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Not to worry, Slash and Trogdor have been dormant for months, if not years now...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.