FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My contractor just lost its NASA contract

Author Topic: My contractor just lost its NASA contract
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So…SAIC, who I subcontract for through MRI Technology for NASA, today announced that they lost their contract to NASA. I guess Titian and Northrop Grumman were the two winners. So I’m not sure how much longer my current job will last. Maybe a few months, maybe the end of the year, but it’ll definitely be over with. I guess there’s a good chance to just switch over to the new contractor with whoever gets the JWST project.
Sigh… I hate interviews. So I guess I really need to start looking hard now for a new position.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand -- why would they switch mid-stream on the JWST project? Wouldn't they have one contractor from start to finish for continuity's sake?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
They change the contract but keep the people to maintain their continuity. That's how these government contracts usually work. It sucks for the schmo doing the actual work, because as the contracts get handed left and right, he gets paid less and less.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. My chance at summer funding depends on NASA/DARPA. The check was supposed to be here a while ago so I'm getting a little nervous. Otherwise I really need to find a summer job! And one that let's me still do research/some work towards my degree.

Ugh

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

They had put everything thing up for a re compete. And SAIC lost. Sure there’s a chance I could just go over to the new company, but you still have to interview and get hired. None of that is a guarantee. Basically, I’m out of a job.
I hate interviews……

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are the incumbent, and you have the skills and past performance you stand a great chance of moving on. Was NASA satisfied with SAIC performance?

In many cases, a new company getting the contract will meet or exceed the cost of the incumbent if they do not have the in house experience and capability. Most contractors do not have highly skilled people sitting around waiting for a contract to come up.

If I were you, I'd be on the hpone now telling the new contractor why they have to have you.

Also, look for competitors of SAIC--MTC, ARINC, Boeing, SSAI, etc. They may not have a position for you but may put you on the payroll for future work just becasue you bring intelligence about SAIC to help them win more contracts.

You are a lot more marketable than you may think!

Good luck.

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
SAIC won't have another job for you? Or were you specifically hired to work on just this project?

Interviews do suck. Rewriting resumes is also on my list of top annoying things I have to do.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Dang…. This might not be too bad after all. I’ve had contact with the new contract winner and one of the sub contractors even called and was talking a 5% raise and sign on bonus. Wow…. Very interesting.
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck!
[Smile]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Jay. I hope it works out. A raise and a sign-on bonus - that would nice, eh?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.