FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Surrogate Wisdom Teeth

Author Topic: Surrogate Wisdom Teeth
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
When they strap you down and drug you up and steal the last vestiges of your innate wisdom (namely, your teeth), there is only one thing in the word that will assuage the anguish.

Reed's Chocolate Ginger Ice Cream - available at natural food stores. It's like all the comfort of your grandmammy rolled up and shoved in a little frozen carton.

'Tis a beautiful thing.

Everyone give a shout-out to Hobbes who is also currently being deprived of his wisdom. Send him some ice cream.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He's lucky.

It's far worse to need them out badly and not be able to have it done. [Frown]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm not sorry it hurts, or that I don't wish him all the best ice cream. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I know what you mean KQ. I had one out this morning at the oral surgeon, and only because someone was gracious enough to pay for me. They asked me why I'd had two out manually last summer and why he hadn't just put me under and taken them all out.

"Have you looked at what you charged?" I screamed. "Four hundred dollars to knock me out and cut out one tooth, a procedure that takes twenty minutes, and six hundred if you want to take out two? Do I look like I'm in the decent dental shape of someone who has either insurance or a trust fund?! Do you want to go take a look at my mom who hasn't been able to afford a trip to the dentist in twenty years?"

Actually, I didn't say that. I said. "Hmmm... I don't know."

"Well, that's not very fair to you," the nurse said, "to have to go through this twice."

Three times, thank-you-very-much. [Mad]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. I can't have them done while awake. Mine are all impacted, I have had bad reactions to two of the drugs they use to relax you for those procedures, and I have severe TMJD. Not gonna happen.

In the meantime, my wisdom teeth are aggrivating my TMJ, causing splitting headaches, jaw popping and pain, and me not being able to open my mouth even as far as I used to be able to. Also, they have ruined the alignment my mom paid so much for those braces for, and they just plain hurt where they're crooked under the skin.

My mom suggested the dental school here, but there's a two year waiting list, and we're planning on moving.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Of course, all this doesn't bother me as much as the fact that I can't afford to take my one-year-old to the dentist, and that being so poor you can't afford rent every other month is apparently not enough to keep your child on state insurance. Ah, the joys of motherhood.
Annie
Member # 295

Viva la revolucion!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had problems with my wisdom teeth, I was a poor starving student. My oldest brother, computer programmer, and making a very decent wage, paid for them for me. And my dentist, also an oral surgeon, and a very decent man I knew from church, offered to give me a discount on the "I don't have insurance" basis, so we only paid I think $1000 CDN 15 years ago. If my brother hadn't paid, I'd be in very very big trouble - all four were impacted and infected.

Hobbesey, feel better soon!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting mine out. I was drugged up so it could have been worse. One of the pain killers they gave me made me throw up. I think it was Lortab(sp) or something like that.

If you have swelling put ice in a ziplock bag and wrap it in a dish towel and put it on your checks. That is what helped me. Hope you heal well.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine. [Smile] I'm glad Annie has finished up her dental work though, I think she needs more good wishes, poor girl, has to go through it three times. [Frown]

For Annie:
[Kiss]

For others:
[Group Hug]

Thanks guys! [Smile]
(though don't wish me ice cream, I don't much care for ice cream)

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He. Doesn't. Much. Care. For. Ice cream.

[Eek!]

Annie, are you sure you want this one? Although I suppose that means more for you...

Hobbes
Member # 433

Ice cream is just the first in a long list of things everyone likes but me.

This list includes pies and popsicles.

Annie's an adventurer. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You don't like pie? Not even home-made rhubarb pie?

Annie, run as fast as you can!

Hobbes
Member # 433

I like you personally KQ, but anyone who tells Annie to leave me gets my evil eye.

Or since there is no evil eye smilie, two evil eyes: [Mad]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I didn't tell her to leave you. Just to run.

After she comes back from her run, she'll be hungry enough to eat all your pie. [Taunt]

Now, remove your evil eyes, before I'm forced to do it for you. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight! Fight!

*goes to get the popcorn*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*casts very heavy aspersions on rivka* [Eek!]

Sorry, rivka, my aim is bad. Those were for Hobbesy. *removes aspersions and prepares to cast again*

rivka
Member # 4859

*throws handful of popcorn* Keep it in the ring! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*eats popcorn that lands on her*

Oooh, is this that gourmet stuff? It's nummy.

Do you like rhubarb pie? *abandons aspersions and prepares to go make pie with rivka*

rivka
Member # 4859

Rhubarb is yummy stuff. Pie is good, although I'm partial to rhubarb compote -- basically pie without the crust. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, we must make some rhubarb pie with my family pie crust recipe. Yumminess! *bounces*
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Although I suppose that means more for you...
Yes. This is key.

Because, though I try to be Christlike about it, when someone polishes off my half-eaten pint of Chunky Monkey and I come home to an empty freezer, it doesn't take long before I start looking for someone to take it out on.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you stop at looking for someone? I'd just go immediately to taking it out on. [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Annie's a sweety. [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, ya know, quid, whoever is guilty of eating the Chunky Monkey probably ALSO left the empty carton in the freezer (along with the spoon which is now crystallizing and stuck permanently to the cardboard) and has run for the hills anticipating severe bodily harm upon discovery.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oooh. Probably means they left behind fingerprints and DNA. We can hunt them down!
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!!! Manhunt!!! I've got my Peeps Bazooka armed and ready!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.