FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To provoke discussion

Author Topic: To provoke discussion
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
somebody may have linked to this article before, but I thought it might provoke an interesting discussion
scifi.about

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the contrary, a woman could want to sleep with him, enjoy sleeping with him, and talk about sleeping with him and still be a fine, upstanding woman. Sure, they tended to die and stuff, but they weren't vilified. For the 1960s, this was a pretty revolutionary idea.

The bold was mine, because I found it very amusing.

It's a good article, I think. YOu could say that they don't go to the bathroom, either, though I think the two are not of equivalent relevance in an examined life.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I started stumbling my way through Fred Pohl's latest installment in the Heechee saga, The Boy Who Would Live Forever, a couple of weeks ago, and those sci-fi characters are at each other again.

According to Mr. Pohl, there are only two things to do whilst travelling in space, and solving complex math problems will only get you so far.

This time he breaks out the F-word and uses it liberally.

Well, at least he doesn't have various species intermingling as does Larry Niven.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I had no idea there was a lot of sex in SciFi books. I suppose there usually aren't in the ones I read.

Evidently Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is science fiction, at least according to the shelves at Borders. Barnes and Noble just had it in New Fiction hardcover section.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Evidently Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is science fiction, at least according to the shelves at Borders. Barnes and Noble just had it in New Fiction hardcover section.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is indeed sci-fi. Or fantasy, which is the same thing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth point out that for video sci-fi (movies and television) some of todays standards have to be imposed on the cultures in the story for simple rating reasons. It's possible to push the boundries a little with creative shoting, but there are limits to how far it can go.

Of course this doesn't quite apply to books, but then again if there's too much explicit sexuality in a book it begins to become erotic literature in a sci-fi setting.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you classifying sci-fi, Tom?

:curious:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By contrast, and despite initial signs that sexuality would play a greater role on the show than it did in VOY, DS9, and TNG, Enterprise has given us little but "giggle and jiggle" sex meant to make us smirk at skin and laugh at sex for being so "ooky."
That does fit in with OSC's contention that Star Trek is for teenagers .
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How are you classifying sci-fi, Tom?"

Fiction that relies on technological or mystical abilities not available to humans at any time in history, or is set in a world where these things are present. Basically, any story which involves ahistorical speculation in setting and world creation.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see fantasy and sci-fi as that close usually. I do see that a lot of the stories have things in common, and there are some stories that are hard to classify as one or another, but there is a reason why I prefer fantasy to sci-fi....

It isn't all about the locale, you know. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

As far as I'm concerned, fantasy is just a sub-set of science fiction.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fantasy is just a sub-set of science fiction.
With both you have to pay a price to get supernatural powers. The connection between the price and the power is either explained through scientific reasoning or through mysticism. After that, the story and the basic truths behind the story are the same.

I don't think sci-fi/fantasy writers are telling the truth about sex. Sex in a story should be like eating a meal, sleeping, or going to the john; everybody does it; nobody cares; if you want to deal with, touch on it lightly, and then get on with the story.

Of course if you want to get your reader's hormones in an uproar everytime he buys your books...but that's not writing; that's prostitution.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Sex in a story should be like eating a meal, sleeping, or going to the john; everybody does it; nobody cares."

Well, in all fairness, there have been times that I've had sex to which I would devote three or four pages of purple prose in the unwritten autobiography of my life.

But, yeah, other times it's like a decent lunch.

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the other way around - sci-fi is a subset of fantasy:

Fiction that is contrary to reality in its milieu, as well as the specific events pertaining to the character, is "fantastic literature." Within that, the definition of sci-fi as having technological differences with the present but otherwise following the natural laws, while fantasy can violate natural laws, is a fair definition.

The working definition, when creating book covers, is: Fantasy has trees, sci-fi has sheet metal and rivets.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

That sounds like as good a definition as anybody is likely to get. [Smile]

The thing about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell that made it seem out-of-place in the SciFi section was that it's set in the 1800s, with that level of technological development. It's not exactly 1800s England, but only because there is magic and a corresponding history of English magic that doesn't really exist.

I think it also gets shelved under the generic New Fiction heading because of its nearly perfect immitation of Victorian prose. So it must be literature. *snort*

That drives me crazy, because there really is a lott of mainstream 'literature' that could easily fit into anyone's definition of scifi, fantasy or 'spec fic'. :eyeroll: Like, say, several works by Margaret Attwood. But, even though she writes about post-apocalyptic or future social orders, she's literary. Beloved is a freakin' ghost story, but you won't find Morrison in some Dark Fantasy/Horror ghetto.

I think, and I know I could be wrong, that it has more to do with the publisher (and the audience the publisher perceives for a particular book) than the actual content that determines 'genre'.

katharina
Member # 827

Ooo..thanks for the reminder. I keep meaning to read Beloved, but I never remember while I'm near a computer.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Inara. Maybe Serentiy will touch on the subject in more detail. [Taunt]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

kat- It's a great book, but tough to read. It definitely deals with some unpleasant aspects of the human condition in a necessarily raw way. But it IS a book that deals with love, cruelty and sexuality in mature and realistic ways.
katharina
Member # 827

I just ordered a paperback copy from half.com, so I'll report back in a week. [Smile]

I don't think anything will horrify me as much as Arslan did, which I also a recomendation for here. I finished that book, though, and it is certainly memorable. I doubt I'll ever reread it and I know I'll never loan it out, but for some reason, I still hold on to it.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's a decent try at defining sci-fi, but any sci-fi definition will have holes in it.
quote:
Originally posted by Olivetta:
I had no idea there was a lot of sex in SciFi books. I suppose there usually aren't in the ones I read.

I thought of this today, Olivia, and decided you read too much touchy-feely sci-fi... or not enough. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Katie, it's a general rule that women who write science fiction get put in the "literature" section unless they ask nicely.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

[Taunt]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivetta:
Beloved is a freakin' ghost story, but you won't find Morrison in some Dark Fantasy/Horror ghetto.

Heh. You should have heard me and my 11th grade English teacher go at it when we read Beloved. She insisted that it was not fantasy, it was magic realism. [Roll Eyes] Man, I hated that book.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Arslan ::shudders::

Didn't care about any of the people, was not attracted to nor repelled by the anti-hero, nor the 'eyes' of the story (the principle and the boy). Could have done without a couple of scenes as well (you know what I'm talking about. Hart's Hope was much better done, both in that respect- hint- and with as comprehesible a villainess as you could ever see). I found the reasoning for what Arslan decided to do to the human race absolutely idiotic. The only thing I liked was the way Arslan made the Principle partly responsible for all his actions afterward simply by giving him the power to kill him which he refused to do. That was well done.

My opinion, of course.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Where does magical realism fit? I don't see it as being the same genre as fantasy, cause it has different intent. But wow I just don't know. And maybe it doesn't matter. But Jorge Luis Borges, whom I think is the granddaddy of magical realism, is really awesome.

Maybe because he's so convincing.

I don't really understand why, actually. But he just is.

I liked Beloved, but didn't see it as a fantasy. I saw it as someone with a very different worldview from mine writing a story from within her worldview which was not particularly translated to cater to my worldview, but left me to think what I would about it. I thought it was a really good story. I enjoyed it a lot. But it didn't change my worldview or anything. So I guess in some ways that's exactly like fantasy. I dunno. It was good, though. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sex in a story should be like eating a meal, sleeping, or going to the john; everybody does it; nobody cares; if you want to deal with, touch on it lightly, and then get on with the story.
Except that I can think of circumstances under which any one of those activities could be an actual important part of the plot which could not just be skipped.

And a talented writer could think of better circumstances. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Tatiana - People don't think of Beloved as a 'Fantasy' at all. I was just saying that by our esteemed host's (and others who have tried to define the genres) guidlines, it could fit.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly think of Beloved as fantasy. Like you said, it's a ghost story. That sounds fantastical to me.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I agree that it fits. I think 'magical realism' is what the elite like to call it when they want to make sure we understand that they don't read that genre trash. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.