FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need computer help

Author Topic: Need computer help
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Several weeks ago, I bought a Shuttle XPC computer. It worked great for a few weeks, and then it died. I was finally able to return it and just received the new one today. They took out the motherboard and put in a new one that they said had been tested and worked fine.

So I put it all together and turn it on, and it boots up to Windows just fine, with one exception: my keyboard and mouse won't work. They're both plugged into PS/2 ports, so it's not an issue of the computer not recognizing USB devices or anything like that.

I tried resetting the CMOS, but that didn't help. Now it sits and waits for me to press Delete to enter setup or F1 to continue. But the keyboard still isn't working, so I'm stuck.

Any advice? What in the world would cause a computer to not recognize a keyboard and mouse, especially when they're plugged into PS/2 ports? They said they tested the motherboard, so I'm assuming that means they tested it with a keyboard and mouse.

Could it possibly be a different component that's faulty? Am I missing something incredibly stupid? I'm just about at my wit's end with this thing, so I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Beyond confirming, just to be safe, that your keyboard is AOK, there isn't a lot you can do. That's a wacky one.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing you can do is test it with a different keyboard and mouse.
The first real thing you should do is switch the plugs around, just in case. After that, just try a new keyboard and mouse. They could have tested your Mobo with a USB KB&M and not had any problems, though I imagine they must be completely stupid if they did. Other than that, there's not much that can be done. Sounds like you're going through heck on this, though.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Here's something weird: the light on my mouse stays on, even when the computer's turned off. It's obviously getting power.

So if I test it with another keyboard and mouse and it still doesn't work, where's the problem? Is it definitely the motherboard, or is there a chance it could be something else like the CPU? Would it help to flash the BIOS?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It would never be the CPU. It's unlikely to be the BIOS. It's far more likely that the PS/2 connectors on the motherboard are bad.

But why would you ever use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard anyway? Get yourself USB peripherals and a hub and never look back.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would it help to flash the BIOS?

Well sure, if that's what your BIOS gets off on.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
It would never be the CPU. It's unlikely to be the BIOS. It's far more likely that the PS/2 connectors on the motherboard are bad.

But why would you ever use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard anyway? Get yourself USB peripherals and a hub and never look back.

My mouse is a USB mouse with a PS/2 adapter. I tried it in a USB port, and that didn't work, either.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. That's intriguing. Do you have another USB peripheral you could try?

I'm thinking it's definitely a motherboard problem, if you've eliminated the possibility that your peripherals themselves are bad.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Okay, so I finally got around to testing the computer with another keyboard and mouse (and testing my keyboard and mouse on another computer), and it turns out that my peripherals are dead. Apparently, in my motherboard's death throes, it decided to take my keyboard and mouse with it. Weird.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or your peripherals ganged up on your old mother board and you owe your vendor a huge apology.

Best to forget the whole thing and play a game.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ooh! I like the sound of that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.