FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help on Star Wars Books (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help on Star Wars Books
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
So I went into the used bookstore yesterday hoping to pick up at least the first few in the series when I realized, I don't even know what the first few are. So I thought this would be the best place to come for help. Basically, where do I start, what's the first book I should get and how many are there in total?
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
As I tell everyone I recommend SW books to, start at the beginning: A New Hope, Empire, and Jedi. There is a book right after Empire but before Jedi called Shadows of the Empire. I thought that book explained a lot of the character's behavior in Jedi.

Immediately following Jedi is The Truce at Bakura. Next I believe is The Courtship of Princess Leia. I'd also recommend reading anything by Timothy Zahn.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- get to the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn (I read those first, and they got me hooked). I'm also fond of the X-Wing series, though moreso the books by Allston (5,6,7,9). Some books it matters what order you read them in (because they reference things in previous books), and some it doesn't. I'd read the after-the-movies books first, regulars before New Jedi Order, then the before-the-movies if you really want to. I haven't read but a few of those, and wasn't too impressed. Except Rogue Planet relates somewhat to the NJO.

Of course, everyone is welcome to their own opinions.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the X-Wing books!!!!!!! Don't read the NJO if you don't want to get depressed by the evil suckiness. Avoid the two by Barbara Hambly. Also, the Jedi Academy Trilogy is optional; it's nice background for I, Jedi, but really painful in places.

Of course, I may be biased, being completely in love with Corran Horn. [Wink]

Oh, and Hand of Thrawn duology = good stuff if you're a romantic. [Smile] Snap up anything you find by Zahn, wonderfully written. For SW books.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
There really were some terrible books mixed in with the good ones.

I'd recommend this order, since they manage to collectively play off of each other and tell an interesting story overall.

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
X wing series by Michael A Stackpole
Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson
I, Jedi by Michael A Stackpole
Specter of the Past
Vision of the future by Timothy Zahn

After that, there are some other good star wars books worth reading that don't significantly effect anything outside of their own series.
I would strongly recommend the Han Solo trilogy. but make sure you read the one that is three separate books (there was a completely different single book han solo adventures trilogy).

in no particular order:
Shadows of the Empire
Dark Empire comics
Wraith Squadren series
Truce at Bakura
Courtship of Princess Leia
Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispen

I stopped reading star wars books after the start of NJO. I was very unimpressed with what I saw, especially after the amazing setup that Timothy Zahn provided in Visions of the Future. Had they followed the storyline implied there, the books could have had some promise.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I'd really recommend reading none of the Star Wars books as they've basically gone down the same line as the Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms books - hack writers churning out dreck under a known brand so that it sells. If they had any imagination they'd be writing books set in their own imaginary universe. Sure, they've got a few good writers. Zahn, Stackpole, and Salvatore come to mind. But even most of these seem to not have the same spirit as the movies.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hack writers churning out dreck under a known brand so that it sells.
Yet:
quote:
even most of these seem to not have the same spirit as the movies.
??
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Zahn books. The rest are pretty much trash.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
The Zahn books are great, though I haven't read his new ones.

I would definitely recommend his Heir to the Empire trilogy above all the others.

Also of note, I would throw in Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina, which was very well put together apart from one story about Dr. Evazan (which blew chunks).

For a guilty pleasure, I'd throw in the Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton, though the ending wasn't the greatest.

Most of the rest are pretty poor... though I've heard good things about the X-Wing books by Stackpole, even if I haven't read them.

And the Han and Lando books are fun if you're into backstory... and Splinter of the Mind's Eye if you want to be squicked out by Luke/Leia action (Book was written between ANH and ESB).

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom that most of the rest aren't much to talk about, except for the Zahn books. The first is a trilogy, the second is a pair.

I still loved them, though, because I'm a SW ubernerd:)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadows of the Empire is ace. The X-Wing series is also ace, except I got very annoyed as a result of a late on plot point. Oh well.

The rest of them I didn't like so much, although I READ a huge amount. Wish I'd saved my money...

Oooh, oooh, oooh, BUT I did love the "Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina" and "Tales From Jabba's Palace".

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read pretty much every Star Wars books, even all the NJO books (Which did have, well, maybe one or two shining moments amidst a sea of utter crap).

First and best, The Thrawn Trilogy by Tim Zahn. It'll get you hooked and out of all the books, these have the best feel to them, the best connection to the original movies. And the characters introduced here are all rich and real.

After that I'd suggest moving ahead with the X-Wing books, read the Rogue Squadron books by Mike Stackpole.

After that it's pretty much up to you. Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry is a fun read, it takes place between ESB and ROTJ and explains what happens inbetween, and introduces Xizor.

The books full of short stories are fun, but I don't like them as much. Same with the Bounty Hunter Trilogy, it explains a lot about Boba Fett's background, but I never read it more than once.

The Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispen are fantastic, I really liked those. Tells you all about Han before he met up with Obiwan and Luke. Crispen captures Han really well I think, and I like the explanations on his past.

Truce at Bakura is a fun read, but you can skip it and not miss a lot (unless you read the Corellian Trilogy, then you really should have already read TaB). Courtship of Princess Leia likewise is a fun read, but you don't need it to know what happens in the series.

The Wraith Squadron books by Allston are a very fun read, and I'd probably read them next. Or the Jedi Academy books, but only so you have a background to read I, Jedi, which is possibly my favorite all time Star Wars book about my favorite all time character, Corran Horn.

The Black Fleet Crisis is also a fun read, all three of those books. Though it isn't my favorite.

Don't read the Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, or Planet of Twilight. You will forever wish you could have the time spent reading back in your life, but you can never, ever, have it back. It's GONE. Save yourself the sorrow.

The Hand of Thrawn Duology is also fantastic, and I would suggest that as well.

The YJO books are neat and fun, very fast reads too, but that's a bit out there, and some people don't like them. I never read the Junior Jedi Knights books, but they looked a little silly to me.

That takes you up to the New Jedi Order books. Read Vector Prime, if you don't like where it is going, stop right there, it only gets worse until about 10 books into the series. The Mike Stackpole books are cool in there, but really, the whole thing is depressing, and you may not like it.

I skipped all the prequel books except Rogue Planet. I never really felt an attachment to any of those characters.

The Adventures of Han Solo and the Adventures of Lando Calrissian are really cool. They reference the events of these stories all the time, and now you can finall know what they are! I'd recommend reading them last, it builds the anticipation.

That's all of them I think, am I forgetting any?

Question to everyone else, has anyone read the two newer books by Zahn about the Outbound Flight project? I didn't get the one about Niruan, or the one that is set in the past, but it's Zahn, so I'm assuming they are good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor's Quest (Zahn) is really good. Zahn is the keeper of the SW spirit (thought EpIII is really looking good)

But I *STRONGLY* discourage anyone from touching anything with the name Kevin J Anderson on it (specifically, the JEdi Academy trilogy), even if you need it for I, Jedi. Just muddle your way through I, Jedi. You have to understand, these books are not just bad and poorly written. They violate the characters and the universe in every possible way.

Especially when one considers that up until their publication, the only SW books out were the OT and Zahn's Hand of Thrawn trilogy (and perhaps Truce at Bakura- I can't remember.) But the SW timeline, at least, only went as far as "The Last Command". And Zahn had set it up so well. There was some closure and yet there were so many places to go, so many characters and organizations to use. It was a perfect hand-off. It was brilliant.

And then KJA comes out with the first of the Jedi Academy trilogy. And I am excited and happy to see the story continue, especially considering that up to then, we had no concept of how Jedi were trained, or anything like that.

And KJA pissed all over Lucas and Zahn. Just violated everything about SW. Beginnig with this: He decided to include the Dark Horse comics in the backstory- Luke served a resurrected Emperor and Leia brought him back prior to the novels.

So he's telling us that after withstanding the Emperor and another Dark Jedi's attempts to seduce him to the Dark Side, after beating back the Empire again, after all that- Luke joins the Emperor and becomes the new Vader? And then returns to the Light and is in a place, emotionally and in the force, to begin training others to use this dangerous power when he himself just recently came out of the Dark? And in two years? It's not just the time. It's the whole contradiction of 10 years of Luke's character. And he does the same to Han and Lando, Mara- everyone. Just makes them caricatures and stupid.

I hate his books with every fiber of my being. A Pox on him, I say.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Leto II would disagree with you.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, you forgot the Galaxy of Fear series. (Which are fun, BTW.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. I hate it when I see a thread which I am so very qualified to respond to, but others beat me to it. Oh well, I'll try to offer some input anyway.

Assuming you want to read what occurs after Return of the Jedi, let me sum things up.

"The Truce at Bakura" (begins the day after RotJ)

"The X-wing series" (2 years after RotJ, I think. The series doesn't focus on the movie characters, and I haven't read it)

"The Courtship of Princess Leia" (4 years after)

"Tatooine Ghost" (4 and a bit years after. I haven't read this either. It was inserted into the timeline in light of the The Phantom Menace)

"The Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command" (5 years after)*

"The Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force" (7 years after)*

"Children of the Jedi" (8 years after)

"Darksaber" (8 years after)

"Planet of Twilight" (9 years after)

"The Crystal Star" (10 years after)

"The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy: Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, Tyrant's Test" (12 years after)

"The New Rebellion" (13 years after)

"The Corellian trilogy: Ambush at Corellia, Assault on Selonia, Showdown at Centerpoint" (14 years after)

"The Hand of Thrawn Duology: Spectre from the Past, Vision of the Future" (15 years after)*

"Survivor's Quest" (16 years after?? I'm not sure, I haven't read it)

"The New Jedi Order" (a series of 19 novels by various authors, 21-25 years after)*

* designates the books which I think are most significant to the overall saga. So if you just want to get caught up by reading the minimum, go for these ones.

Hey, IanO
You shouldn't tell people not to read KJA's work. Many people (myself included) consider the jedi academy trilogy and Darksaber to be among the best of that era in the timeline. Let people read them and decide for themselves. And why do you blame KJA for referring to the events of "Dark Empire"? He didn't write it, and it's the policy of Lucas' licensing people and the publishers that all the novels and comics exist in the same continuity. So if you hate Dark Empire (Which, incidentally, is one of the few expanded universe stories which Lucas himself has read and expressed fondness for) then you should complain about the author(s) who actually wrote it.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, I'm with IanO. KJA's novels were horrid. Bad, bad, bad. I gave him 3 books to redeem himself, and it never happened. He even ruined characters that Zahn created! It seems like changing the personality of a character that isn't your so violently would be breaking some type of unwritten author's code.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Canocity in the SW universe is not so simple as you portray it ('once written, it is part of the canon'). They do not, and cannot, exist in the same continuity without numerous contradiction. Google 'star wars extended universe canon' and see the firestorm. Even GL refused to be bound by the EU continuity in his own prequels (even the good stuff of Zahn, which might have made his prequels even better). Since then (the Dune Prequels) KJA has shown himself to be what he is: a hack. I have no respect for the man ability to write and freely say so.

And I was expressing my personal opinion. Look at this thread. And all the other SW EU threads that have been here on Hatrack. KJA is not spoken highly there either. And it's not like I put a gun to people's heads forbidding them to read KJA. I express my opinion. People are free to do with it what they want.

Jebus,
IIRC, didn't Leto not care too much for what Brian Herbert and KJA had done to the Dune universe? I don't recall his defending "pinky and the brain" as they are called.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Jebus was kidding.

Or possibly, the idea is that Leto II would have wanted KJA to remain in the wasteland of Star Wars EU instead of blowing chunks all over Dune. That's possible.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Canocity in the SW universe is not so simple as you portray it ('once written, it is part of the canon'). They do not, and cannot, exist in the same continuity without numerous contradiction. Google 'star wars extended universe canon' and see the firestorm. Even GL refused to be bound by the EU continuity in his own prequels.
Actually, the issue of canon is quite simple. The policy of Lucasfilm ltd. is that any story authorized by them which is not labeled as non-canon ("infinities", as they call it) is canon unless it is directly contradicted by Lucas. So no, Lucas isn't bound by the EU, nor should he be. But he doesn't go out of his way to contradict it, and he has used EU elements in the prequels. For instance, The name "Coruscant" actually came from the Thrawn Trilogy. Lucas chose to keep the EU name for the capital planet rather than totally destroy continuity by calling it something else. There have also been some EU "easter eggs" in the films. Fans constantly debate the validity of the EU, but this is the official stance of Lucas and his people. Although, I know that every EU fan has particular stories which they wish were removed from the continuity.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

SW Canon policy has evolved quite a bit over the years, especially in regard to fiction (beginning with 'Splinter in the Mind's Eye'- 1978). And it has not always been consistant, especially once they licensed the SW universe to more writers after Zahn's books showed how much potential existed, both creatively and monetarily. What was once considered 'quasi-canonical' is now more so, but with some notable exceptions. For a full discussion of that read this Notice especially comments on Boba Fett's survival of the Sarlaac and GL's take.

Ultimately, my personal opinion is that the OT is canonical (along with the commentaries. After all GL is 'god' in this universe he created.). After that, what I *choose* to accept of the EU stories is canonical. What I don't accept, is not. Of course, all that is personal opinion, but is based on what I see as consistant with the SW universe and it's characters. Thus KJA is out, for me. (Little contradictions in those books I accept as canonical, like Zahn's clone wars timeline versus that in the prequels, I cheerfully ignore.)

Simple for me, anyway.

IanO
Member # 186

ps, I'd like to see some of these Easter eggs. I've always felt GL should acknowledge Zahn, aside from that small Coruscant mention. Like maybe a character from his universe. Or mention of Spaarti cloning cylinders, or clone instability, or whatever.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Salvatore? Good? I've never wanted a writer to die from a papercut more.

Stackpole's X-Wing series just grated on my nerves after a while - I read and liked his "Wolf and Raven" stories, but his other work just didn't click with me. (sorry KQ [Big Grin] )

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thought the Hand of Thrawn duology was pure crap?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I think that the "Hand of Thrawn" duology is a bit overrated, but not crap.

As for easter eggs, I recall reading somewhere that an EU jedi is mentioned by name in Eps III. I don't recall the name of the jedi though. I'm not big on prequel era EU. I know that Dash Rendar's ship, the Outrider from "Shadows of the Empire" is briefly visible in "A New Hope SE". "swoop" bikes also appear in the films, but were originally created in the EU. Although I wouldn't really call it an easter egg, Darth Maul's double bladed lightsaber is just like one which was used by an EU sith lord. I know there are other obscure easter eggs to, but I can't recall them all. In general, although he contradicts it sometimes, Lucas seems to consider the EU to be canonical to some extent, otherwise he wouldn't put his foot down about certain plot developments which have been proposed over the years. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a canon debate. Those are so pointless. In the end, every fan has their own personal canon. It's silly to argue about which aspects of a fictional universe are more or less fictional.

[ May 13, 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Okay, now that I'm not at work, I have more time to devote to this thread. [Smile] Waaaaay back when hatrack was on AOL, I was too busy with the Star Wars forum to really pay it much mind. Heh. Topics like what would Yoda's lightsaber color be, and whether the books were canon. That was back in 1996.

But, here's my complete rundown of books I've read, in chronological timeline order.

The Lando Calrissian Adventures - Fun read, but essentially popcorn. I like it because of its simplicity and disconnect from the major story arc.

The Han Solo Adventures - Probably better quality than the Lando books, but I find the first series more fun because of its supporting cast.

A New Hope (novelization) - Um, like reading a fleshed out script.

Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina - Great fun. The stories of all the *other* folks who were in the cantina on the day Luke and Obi-wan meet Han and Chewie. Well edited by KJA, I thought, so that stories referenced events in one another.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye (between SW and ESB) - Why this book was allowed to be written is beyond me - Luke and Vader have a showdown pre-Empire Strikes Back. Ha. Not to mention the love story angle. ::shudder::

Empire Strikes Back (novelization): Yoda's blue. Go fig.

Shadow of the Empire: Inserted brand new interesting characters, and then was forced to kill them off before the start of RotJ. Interesting setup for for Ep 6, though, if only to add a lot of weight to the Jabba's palace preparations.

ROTJ (novelization): Essentially the movie, sans muppets.

Tales of Jabba's Palace: Highly anticipated after reading Tales from the Cantina, but pretty much crap. Not done anywhere near as well.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters: Took what was bad about Jabba's Palace and made it worse. This is where the "Tales of" idea jumped the shark.

Truce at Bakura - Not worth it. Aliens from outside the galaxy that cause the rebels and empire to join forces? The *days* after the death star blew up? Ugh.

The Courtship of Princess Leia - Han jealous over some new player in Leia's life, a planet of rancors, force witches, subtle clues about the history of the jedi, good writing overall. What's not to like?

Thrawn Trilogy - Simply the best SW writing to date.

Dark Empire I & II (graphic novels): Great mood, kinda cool story. Sort of a "what would have happened to Luke if Vader hadn't been there" sort of story. Showed a more cunning, ruthless, intelligent side to the Emperor, which was kinda cool.

Jedi Academy - Weak. Silly. Some interesting ideas scattered about, but the writing was pretty mediocre throughout. Not the worst, but nothing to write home about.

The Crystal Star - The worst. To be written home about, if only to warn others. Chewie dyed silver and black, 3PO lacquered purple, Leia with green hair, and a writer who wrote off an inability to write Luke's character with a cheap plot device. Utter dreck.

Corellian Trilogy - Kinda fun, again. Bunch of cool ideas and decent enough writing. Filled my jonesin' for SW novels, but essentially left me flat. Might be worth noting that after reading these, I didn't read any other SW novels.

--

So, get the Thrawn trilogy, Mos Eisley Cantina, and the Lando/Han Adventures, and avoid The Crystal Star like the plague. That's my best advice. [Smile]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

neo-dragon: in the end, I agree with you. It's all about personal opinion. No need to argue.
IanO
Member # 186

Hand of Thrawn: you're talking about Vision of the Future and the other one, right? They were good, but not as good as the first Thrawn trilogy. Of course, I chalk part of that up to the fact that Zahn had so much crap to deal with in the SW universe. He had to somehow make it mesh together in a believable framework that wasn't borderline retarded. Given what he had, I'd say he succeeded admirably.

Flying Cow: I pretty much agree with your assessment of the books, though Jedi Academy would be on the 'stay away' list.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Stackpole's X-Wing series just grated on my nerves after a while - I read and liked his "Wolf and Raven" stories, but his other work just didn't click with me. (sorry KQ [Big Grin] )

Are you saying... you didn't like I, Jedi? [Eek!] [Mad]

Corran Horn and I are going to have to kill you many times with many painful deaths now.

I think Hambly's books are waaaay worse than The Crystal Star.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, I may be biased, being completely in love with Corran Horn.
Yay! I'm not alone!! [Big Grin]

Just my two cents on the SW novels:

Everyone's right about Zahn and anything with Corran Horn in it -- but don't touch NJO, they totally ruined it for me, really hated it

I, Jedi is phenomenal. Hands down my favorite.

I really enjoyed Hand of Thrawn, didn't think it was particularly overrated.

The Han Solo trilogy was great.

The Corellian ...something? Trilogy was really good too, I enjoyed that, probably because it was actually the first trilogy I ever picked up.

Mostly, though, there's solid advice from everyone here. I didn't hate KJA when I first read his books -- I really enjoyed them, actually -- but they were some of the first SW books I read and, since then, I've realized I think they're weaker than some others.

P.S. -- the Courtship of Princess Leia was dismal.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Oh, I almost forgot. Hambly's book Children of the Jedi -- I still to this day do not understand it. Can someone explain it to me? I couldn't follow it *at all*.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, forgot to add my two cents on the Han Solo trilogy: read it. Leads into the movies really nicely, good character development, even incorporates the earlier Han and Lando novels to an extent.

And The Black Fleet Crisis: avoid it like the Black Plague.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

OH! I forgot about Black Fleet. Yeah, KQ's right on that one, reallllly didn't like it, makes Luke totally pathetic.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

You didn't like Courtship? I sort of enjoyed that one. Then again, it was the first thing I read after the Jedi Academy trilogy, so that may have had something to do with why I liked it. Just simply through juxtaposition.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Kasie, the book is simple:

Characters are badly written and not true to life (meaning, the movies OR common sense). Artoo is used for evil by a little boy who has a cyborg implant and Force powers. Luke falls into a disaster with a dead girl who takes over his friend's body when his friend decides to die with the robot copy of her lover. There is much singing of some strange fairy-tale song about a queen and some birds (which actually wouldn't make a bad song if it weren't Star Wars). Book sucks. The end. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I actually enjoyed parts of Courtship, but too much of it is just dumb.

Is this the place to mention that the authors should really get together on love interests before writing books?

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The sucky thing is, I own Darksaber, even though I haven't read it. Someone bought it for me.

But I was told I'd have to read Children of the Jedi first, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I also own the X-Wing books, but haven't read them.

IanO
Member # 186

Darksaber- wasn't that with another Hutt? Gudda? Pizza? Something? And a new Death Star?
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Durga?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

AAAAAAAH! Darksaber! That book is evil. Stupid, dumb, really icky. Give it to the Goodwill or something. Stupid bugs. [Roll Eyes]
IanO
Member # 186

Yeah, Durga. Man I can't believe I remember that (stupid memory engram taking up space in my mind). Didn't Madine die in that or something? It did suck, though.
TMedina
Member # 6649

[Big Grin]

Corran just never made me care enough to hope he lived or died.

My entire reaction was something along the lines of, "eh?"

Although the subsequent Dark Horse comics were interesting.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bashes Trevor with an X-wing*

Corran is beautiful, wonderful, smart, and waaaay more important to the fate of the galaxy than you. [Mad]

TMedina
Member # 6649

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
*bashes Trevor with an X-wing*

Corran is beautiful, wonderful, smart, and waaaay more important to the fate of the galaxy than you. [Mad]

Never doubted it for an instant, Highness.

There's a reason why I picked the Avatar I did at Sake. [Taunt]

-Trevor

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

The level of KJA hatred around here is disturbing. I haven't read the Jedi Academy Trilogy or Darksaber in several years, but I remember them being quite good. As for the NJO, it had its flaws, but overall (or perhaps I should say, on average) I think it was better than the Bantam era stuff. It had a gritty realism rather than the usual 'everything's okay at the end of the day' stories that preceded it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's Star Wars! Everything is supposed to be okay at the end, at least for the core characters!
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's my two cents worth:

Heir to the Empire was the first oficial Star Wars novel to be written (after the novelizations of the movies of course) so the reason it's a great one to start with is not only because it's well written (as are it's sequels) but it also doesn't reference anything that isn't in the movies. Thus accessible to Star Wars nut and newcomer alike.

Okay, I have to agree with everyone now, so bear with me...I, Jedi is absolutely fabulous, Corran Horn is absolutely the coolest, most badass character to date ect. ect. The X-wing series is excellent and the Courtship of Princess Leia is cool too.

Next, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina: awesome, and while I hated the other "Tales" books, the Tales from the Empire is worth looking at as well as Tales from the New Republic. Both have short novels co-authored by Zahn and Stackpole, which explore Corran's past and his father's.

Other than that, only one word of caution:
do not touch The New Jedi Order series unless you have read all the other ones. In my experience NJO either is the icing on the cake or the books that turn you toward other popular fiction...like Buffy for example [Evil]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen ketchupqueen!

All in all though, it was the whole Chewie issue that ruined NJO for me.

I also enjoyed KJA books the first time through, but every time I try to read them again, there's something about them that's missing.

Okay, that's more than two cents so I'll shut up until someone else posts.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
It's Star Wars! Everything is supposed to be okay at the end, at least for the core characters!
Tell that to Qui-gon Jinn, or Anakin and Padme at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

In any case, I guess there are the fans for which Star Wars is like a fairy tale, where everything is supposed to end up happily ever after. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what it is to you. If that's how you feel, then I can understand your not liking the NJO. For those who don't mind some dark realism and a war with actual consequences, you might get a kick out of the NJO.
I like that the authors had the freedom to shake things up a bit. As usual, it's all a matter of preference. However, I do think that it drags on much longer than necessary. I started to get tired of the Yuuzhan Vong. Del Rey should have condensed the series to 9 books long rather than 19.

P.S. Did you guys all know that the first post-NJO book comes out in July? take a look.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Everything is supposed to be okay at the end, at least for the core characters!

Wow. You just completely vindicated OSC. I never thought I'd see the day.

Seriously, I didn't mind the NJO's "darkness." I just minded the "we're trying so hard to be original, edgy, and invulnerable that we're generic" invaders.

But, yeah, KJA sucks. Enormously. In a "giant black hole" kind of way, but not as cool.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.