FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Get rich quick

Author Topic: Get rich quick
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
From here.
quote:
Tanzanian police arrested two men accused of killing a 9-year-old boy and selling his skin for 20,000 shillings ($18) to make sorcerers' get-rich-quick charms, a senior officer said Friday.
quote:
Human skins are used by witch doctors to make charms or potions designed to make their users rich, especially in southern Tanzania, renowned as a center for traditional sorcery.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.

So much for the theory of the noble savage behind shamanistic traditions.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If I put that into a fantasy story, people would vilify me for having a sick mind.

But let it be TRUE and everybody's all multicultural and "who are we to judge other cultures' beliefs and customs" ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised the witch doctor didn't move to Florida and claim the kid was in a vegetative state. Then he wouldn't be having all these legal troubles.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt anyone would seriously attempt to justify the skinning of a nine year old child.

By any means.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm surprised the witch doctor didn't move to Florida and claim the kid was in a vegetative state. Then he wouldn't be having all these legal troubles.
Can you be a troll on your own message board?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt anyone would seriously attempt to justify the skinning of a nine year old child.
I don't know, I once had a conversation in a literature class where some of the students were quite determined to defend the cultural practice of hacking a child to death with a machete in Things Fall Apart.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard people defending female "circumcision."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Can you be a troll on your own message board?
sure, there are plenty of other right-wing bloggers who do it.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the key component of household dust, also be the key component of potions to make people rich?

And why murder some one, does no one there die with skin already? I mean i know the idea of grave robbing to skin a corpse is sick, but not as sick as killing a child to skin to corpse.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

also if the potions would make the user of them rich, why would the makers of them sell them, why wouldn't they just use the potions themselves?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Because the makers know that it doesn't really work, as such they are just ripping people off? I'm not sure.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:

I'm sorry, but this did crack me up. Hopefully I took it in the manner in which it was intended.

But Sheesh... could ya lighten up a bit on the host?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
defend the cultural practice of hacking a child to death with a machete in Things Fall Apart.
Gah! We read that book in my literature class this year. I hated it, and that scene was one of my reasons. I don't care what culture you're from, you simply don't chop up your foster child as he's running to you to save him.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The context of our discussion went something like this:

"The whole point of this novel is how the western misisonaries came in and totally decimated a native culture."

Me: "I don't exactly agree that this culture was worse off for being decimated."

"Are you saying that our culture is superior to theirs?"

"Um.... our culture teaches that it's not OK to hack up children with machetes. So yes."

"You're such a bigot."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not even sure how to comment on this.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But let it be TRUE and everybody's all multicultural and "who are we to judge other cultures' beliefs and customs" ...
Um, aren't you jumping the gun just a little here? I mean, at least let the liberals on the board get around to defending other cultures on the basis of multiculturalism before you savage them for it. So far nobody here has done anything of the sort.

Anyway, could I just point out that it is not so long ago that Europeans burned children for being witches? (And it is an even shorter time since children of ten worked fourteen-hour days under horrible conditions, but that's another matter.) Assuming the colonial powers imposed Western civilisation at all, as opposed to just looting the place, that gives Africa about 150 years (on average, depends on the exact location) of exposure to Western ideas. Of that, about two-thirds (at least) has been spent either under foreign rule, struggling to get rid of foreign rule, or fighting bloody civil wars. Europe, on the other hand, has had a full three hundred years of Enlightenment thought, with a nice long period of peace in the nineteenth century to really digest the ideas. Of course Africa is going to be behind.

That aside, though, what is your suggested solution? Send in the Marines? Being tried in Iraq, and the US is running out of Marines. Score political points on message boards? Gosh, that's real helpful, that is. Especially when you score on non-existent strawmen. On the plus side, you really showed those guys who's who and what's which. Straw everywhere!

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

I don't think the whole defending another culture really would even apply here, i mean it is a crime there, and a neighbor who over heard reported it, the cops are working to stop this kind of thing. Is there any point to defending something that happens in another culture as a crime?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card,
Hello and welcome to Hatrack. We're a somewhat different forum than ones you may be used to and right now, your style doesn't exactly fit. You may find that people's interactions with you and what you take out of the board may be greatly enriched if you adopt a different tone. There are quite a few advice for newcomer (I've never liked the term newbie) threads out there that you may want to give a read. I'm sure people would be happy to bump them or link to them for you if you wnat. Another thing you might try is to lurk a little bit and read over some of the older threads to get a feel of how we interact with each other.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Squick
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because the makers know that it doesn't really work, as such they are just ripping people off? I'm not sure.
If that's the case, why not use the skin of a mouse (or pick an animal) and say it's human skin?

*shiver*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
That's just wasteful. An industrious native would have found good use for the entire 9 year old.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they obviously don't have quite the same morals as to killing humans there, so maybe they didn't see too much of a difference between a mouse and a little boy? I don't know, I'm just trying to see it from a different point of view. [Dont Know]

... Before someone else laughs at you MrSquicky, Mr. Card has been posting for some time now, mostly in the section that is about him.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a regular ol' Welcome to the the Dark Side of the Fora.
[Laugh] MrSquicky

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:

... Before someone else laughs at you MrSquicky

If Squick was not posting tongue-in-cheek, I will eat a hat.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
MrSquicky was joking, Vadon.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I'm sure Squick's joking, that's basically the response any other newbie would get if he came on here and pulled the same crap as our illustrious host.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Which is what makes it that much funnier to me. [Smile]
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, yeah. [Smile]
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a comparison to killing a fetus to get its stem cells would be more apt, if we wanted to go with right wing outrage.

I mean, there is just something icky about killing a little person to harvest their body parts.

I saw the Nova Science Now on embryonic stem cell research. I actually watched it with my 8 year old and explained to her at various points why their presentation was faulty. For instance, they split the screen and put a living child with Type I diabetes on one side and a cloned zygote image on the other.

Well, for one thing if a single zygote could solve her problems that would be accurate. But since they already have close to 100 zygotes to work with, obviously one isn't going to do it.

Also, they showed a clean little animation of the nucleus being extracted from a zygote and put the dna from the sick person in to show the value of therapeutic clone stem cells. Then they posed the question of whether this was a life. No mention that the nucleus that was extracted could never become a person now. Sure, a good many nuclei never become people just through the way things go. I guess that means if an animal is very endangered we should feel bad about killing the ones that remain, since so few were making it already.

P.S. I don't think embryonic stem cell use is murder, I just think it is as abhorrent as cutting down those 1,000 year old trees and skinning them to make cancer medications. Though what they are called escapes me at the moment.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sequoias?
Annie
Member # 295

It's normally considered bad manners to condescend, even when you think it's funny.
rivka
Member # 4859

Who are you addressing, Annie?
Annie
Member # 295

Mr. Squicky.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's condescending to gently point out that our esteemed host is, in fact, acting inappropriately.

I am reminded of Churchill's definition : "A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind, and won't change the subject." Surely it's possible to express disgust over this incident without trying to score cheap political points, and incidentally turning the thread into a discussion of trolling. Derailing is a fact of life, but on the third post? That has to be some kind of record.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

If OSC used an anonymous login, he would have gotten that message a long time ago. It's what we say to people who have been acting like OSC has.

My primary intent was neither to condescend nor to be funny, but rather to make it clear that I, at least, think that he is not living up to what I think the standards of the board should be and to give him some advice as to how he could both be more in tune with the board and likely have a more enjoyable, fulfilling experience here.

That second part is really important. We have plenty of reformed posters who after being rehabilitated have come to enjoy the board a lot more, not just because they were more openly accepted, but because the way they were interacting with people yielded more fruitful results.

I do want OSC to have a good time here. As it is, I recognize he takes a deal of crap from other places and is oriented towards a more defenesive, less respectful style than we strive to acheive here. I (and I think other posters, though obviously not all) have been deliberately non-confrontational with him so that he gets a chance to get a feel for things without feeling attacked. However, he hasn't gotten any better and looks to be getting worse.

I'm the bad guy on Hatrack. I say things that aren't necessarily nice when I think they ought to be said. I think this needed to be said and could possibly (although honestly I doubt it) make things better both for the board and for OSC.

edit: I did try to make what I said as low impact as I could. Maybe you feel that I could have expressed it even more gently, or perhaps you disagree with my belief that the only reason OSC hasn't gotten called on a lot of the things he has done is because of who he is. I'm comfortable with what I said. I'm also reasonably sure I speak for more than a few people here.

If you want to make it a thing, I'm sure people would be willing to make it a thing, but I don't think that would be productive. It's been said. I don't think it needs to be harped on.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I don't want to make anything "a thing." The hostility and anger around here lately make me sad.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Me too. That's why I wrote what I did. I'd love for OSC to be a maker here, but, from what I can see, he's mostly not. I can't be sure, but I feel like it's possible that some of our valuable but sensitive posters may have been driven off by his behavior. Certainly they've been posting a great deal less. I've found my own posting restrained amd my attitude towards Hatrack more negative because of OSC's postings.

I'm not angry and I'm trying not to be hostile, but as I've shown, I more concerned with both quality and long term social well-being than I am with short term social harmony. You found out before, I think, that just telling me I'm mean isn't going to affect me much. Yuo can try to convince me my words are wrong or poorly choosen, or to get me banned (hey, there's chance of that here) but I simply don't respond to you saying I make you feel bad.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh, some of that interview was okay but some of it argh, lacking words to express myself... [Angst]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You are also not a maker, Mr. Squicky. Whatever your goals are, your methods are the same as those you decry. You are what you claim to despise.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

What interview?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
the "crap" link that mrsquirky gave.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, didn't see that (I mean in this thread - I've read it and commented on it before). Thanks.
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah!!! that interview made me want to both laugh and yell, it was completely outragous(sp?).

On a side note, I agree with Mr. squicky completely. Not that i want to tie my opinions to him or his to mine, but at least on this issue, i agree 100%.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sid,
There's a discussion of that interview on the other side that's gone onto 4 pages. You might find some perspectives that would help crystalize your own there.

kat,
I can see how it may be important for you to believe so. Heck, you might even get five or six people to agree with you. So hey, good luck with that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.