FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Assistance Please

Author Topic: Assistance Please
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Now feel free to ignore this thread because I know I hate doing someone else's homework.

I'm writing an essay on what I believe to be the invention of the last 50 years that has made the most impact on the world and why.

Now, I've at least narrowed my topic down to medical. (Makes since, I work in Oncology). I want to think of something creative, something not so overused like, Penicillin.

I can think of the why if I could just get my brainstorming into gear.

Can anyone help me? [Hail]

[ May 17, 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the cochlear implant? I'm not sure if I spelled that right.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Hmm....my mom is a sign language interpreter. That is a possibility.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

From what I read, it completely bypasses the damaged part of the ear and sends signals directly to the auditory nerve.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Microscope. Hands down. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Light or Electron?
Derrell
Member # 6062

Here's a link to the cochlear implant page at the National Institutes of Health web site. cochlear implants
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I woudn't use that, as it has only been out for a few years, and not everyone likes it or will use it because ut is so limited.

I would use computers in the medical field, perhaps, because of the major differences they have made not only in hospitals but in creating new treatments.

Keeping teh focus on the medical field will help narrow it down too. Take a look at some of the new targeted gene threapies....none of those would have been possible without computer tech to decode the human genome.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Light or Electron?

Light. Electron is very cool, but has not revolutionized medicine in the same way.

You mentioned penicillin. Does that mean discoveries are also ok? If so, I vote for salicylic acid.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Going with the computer theme, how about computerized imaging like cat scans?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I forgot to mention something. The invention must have been made in the past 50 years. Sorry, I forgot about that.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Derrell, that sounds like a really good one, espeically since we use those on a daily basis in our office.
rivka
Member # 4859

Post-it notes.

And I'm only sort of kidding.

Other contenders: Velcro. Artificial insulin and/or the recently developed insulin pump. Fiber optics, especially cameras.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

This is the exact question:
quote:
In the last 50 years, what invention do you think has made the most impact on the world and why?

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say microsoft windows. Why? Because it brought computers to the masses. I think making computers easy to use, and common in households has completely changed our way of life. Even those who don't use computers in their own houses benifit from them (ie: public services like banks, libraries, hospitals frequently use windows).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's hard to make a case for something not computer-related...the internet, the microprocesser, PCs, software, whatever. Is there anything developed in the past 50 years that has affected life in so many different ways? If you want, you could use as one of your examples the medical field... for instance, the huge amount of health information availble to the masses on the web.

You don't have to think computers are the greatest thing in the world... but they have had the largest impact. The cochlear implant, while important to those with hearing loss, certainly doesn't affect as many people as computers do.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Artificial skin. Oh, wait! CPAP machines. Er, um, nope. That's all I got.

Yeah, gotta go with computers. Sorry.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Cell Phones... they've affected the world in both bad and good ways.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Contacts.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Organ transplants? Limb reimplantation? Blood transfusions? Chemotherapy? (dunno about the dates of invention/discovery on those, just tossing out ideas)
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
This Chronology of Science and Tech site may help in finding out what the big inventions/discoveries were... [Smile]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

A lot of people don't like the implants because they don't mirror true hearing...there are a majority of sounds that can't be reproduced with them. It may improve in the future, but as of right now I don't think it qualifies.

I would do an overview of computers in the medical field...think of all the devices we now use to monitor patients. All of them depend on computers to work. CAT scans, MRI's, Digital Radiography, cameras that allow doctors to see inside a patient without cutting them wide open (that would be fiber optics, although the cameras are sometimes coordinated with computers)...

Not to mention gene replacement therapies, targeted treatments for cancer (developed with computer models), the first treatments that allow Parkinson Disease to be slowed rather than just masking the symptoms....

The list goes on and on....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Xerox? Didn't they pioneer windows? I am not sure how accurate Pirates of Silicon Valley is, but I remember a contention that Gates stole Windows from Xerox. I think that would be fun to research and present.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

They came up with the first true GUI...but it was Steve Jobs that took their idea, not Gates, and ran with it. Xerox didn't care...they had had the idea pitched to them several times, and their attitude was "Who cares, it wouldn't really be good for anything..."...

To be honest, the people who invented it didn't really have a grasp of what it was for, or what the true ramifications if it were. No one did, really, it was too far ahead of it's time.
They envisioned a computer using a GUI to run a kitchen, or other household appliances, and that is how they pitched it.

Still, as far as dropping the ball goes in the computer world goes, the only thing that even begins to compete with Xeroxes stupidity is the guys who sold Gates DOS...

For 50G, cash.... with no royalties. link to small page discussing this...

[ May 17, 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

A good page about it...

another...

and yet another

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Last 50 years ? Lasers

Medical uses, imaging, fiberoptics, data storgage, entertainment...

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Heart-lung machines, pacemakers, chemotherapy (already mentioned), synthetic insulin . . . there are so many I can't even list them all right now.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

A lot of those use computers to control them, so without computer chips they would be useless....

Although Lasers would be a great one too....more and more types of lasers are being used for so many different types of applications.

Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Internet?
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, you might go for something that not every other student is going to use. I'm not sure how old some of these technologies are, like lasers.
:googles:
Invented in 1955: MICR (and with that I would put credit cards, esp. electronic processing of credit cards- I had a job at the tail end of doing credit cards by paper- at the register you had to look in a booklet to see if the number was bad. If it was not in the book you wrote the page number that you did NOT find it on on the slip. The manager mailed in the slips, I think).

Satellites were 1957. Firmly in the 50 years, unquestioningly a global impact.

Tiddly winks.

Hmm, you miss oral contraceptives by one year. Likewise non-stick cookware, kidney transplants, and the solar cell.

TV remote control was 55. And the microwave.

1956 you got your scotchguard, liquid paper, and VCR technology.

'57: Fortran, Velcro, and AAs.

Ah, '58 is the laser, modem, and the hudswinger/hoopsucker depending on your preference.

'59 has the pacemaker and snowmobile. The original "ski-dog" was accidentally patented as "ski-doo".

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you picked medical, but I would go with the invention of the integrated ciruit (IC) also called computer chips or just chips. It was a very fundamental invention that paved the way for many future applications.

This page says 1958, other sources say 1957.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

here is a better source...

That other, previous page was UFOMIND, not my idea of a reliable source. [Big Grin]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

Darn it! I thought I almost had one: the atomic bomb. However, a quick google revealved the patent for it was awarded in 1934, quite a few years past the 50 years ago mark.
rivka
Member # 4859

Errr . . . Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 1945 . . . just sayin'.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I don't follow you, rivka.
rivka
Member # 4859

I could not have told you that the atomic bomb was patented in the 30s. But it was used in 1945 -- 60 years ago.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

That is 10 years past the cut-off date for my essay.
rivka
Member # 4859

Exactly.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
birth control
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

mothertree mentioned oral contraceptives but that I had missed it by 1 year. That would have been a great one.

Funny you said that mack, a coworker and I were just praising technology for that invention.

Kwea: those are great pages, I have a lot to look through.

rivka
Member # 4859

Oral contraceptives might be doable; it depends what you consider the invention. Norethindrone (and norethynodrel) were invented before 1955. However, it was after 1955 that the Pill became commercially available. FDA approval came in 1960 (after an application the year prior).

So I think the case could be made that it falls within the 50-year cutoff.

(More info here, here, and here.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.