FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do robins find worms?

Author Topic: How do robins find worms?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else wondered about this? Do they hear them, see them, smell them? Do they only pick up ones that have surfaced? Because it seems to be quite a honed skill. They dip their beak into the earth and pull up a fat, juicy worm! I am impressed.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
According to this document, they use a combination of skills, but there is evidence that they can hear worms digging around. (There is also one other conflicting experiment that implies they use visual cues alone).

In short there is very little research on this subject.

OK, so I can't fix the link above, but if you type "how do robins find worms" at ask.com there are two pretty interesting links. The one above is the second one.

<Edit: fixed link --PJ>

[ May 17, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Then I will continue to be mystified.

*gazes thoughtfully*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Reading further, the general consensus (among the small number of people who ponder this question online) is that Robins, like most birds, use vision to locate prey, however, they do have the ability to locate earthworms by sound alone when they are hidden from sight.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
They smell their brains, of course.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

You're thinking of Zombie Robins. They're an entirely different species. Duh!
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I was asserting that all robins are, in fact, Zombie Robins.

You really didn't know?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
they start really early, so they have plenty of time to find them.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
They hear them.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, they get a batman to find out where those villainous worms are hiding, then hop on their motorcycles to get there first. While the bat is still searching for a parking space for his car, the early bird gets the worm.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe birds don't smell very well. But their vision is phenomenal. Our herons can see us through windows high above them. Robins hunt our gardens apparently using sight. This is my observation.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.