FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Only I can read this thread [and now Lem]

Author Topic: Only I can read this thread [and now Lem]
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Now we all have an equal number of threads we can read. Not that anyone will know besides me since only I can read this thread.

[Evil Laugh]

I think I'll plot something super-secret and clever, like a really good limerick to spring on Hatrack when they're not paying attention, that would be truly dastardly.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ May 18, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I give my word, I did not read this thread, I am only posting. Heck, I am not even reading what I am writing, so I cannot check for typing errors.

Goo dluck with this.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'd thank you Lem, but since you wont be reading this, there's no point really.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
[Monkeys]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'll assume Jon Boy is the monkey with his eyes covered.

Now back to that limerick.

Hobbes [Smile]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a thing, Hobbes.

*Confuzzled.*

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Hobbes, what'd you use? Lemon juice?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

No, non-sequiter.

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bump so I can go mess with lem some more.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! You know, Hobbes, that tastes really good if you use it while you're frying.

And then go off to play golf while the food isn't ready yet. [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You're all cheaters, but I like Lem, I don't care if it changes the math.

[Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in Lem's thread. I CAN read this thread. No difficulty whatsoever. Don't know what language you thought you were writing it in...
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You can now read Lem? How's his narrative structure?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*does not read thread*

Is this about Annie's thread? Because people with birthdays coming up should not get grumpy about secrets. (I should know. Mine is Sat. [Big Grin] )

*prepares to click on main forum immediately so she doesn't inadvertently read thread*

Of course, I won't know if you respond here. So, feel free to do it in a thread I may read.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, since you're the only who can read this thread, I can now share with you my secret. Hobbes, I AM your father!
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

O_O
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You're a touch young for that. And none of this is helping me with a limerick.

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

There once was a poster named Hobbes
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
<Was about to mention to KQ that Hobbes may not know the topic of the other thread. Unlikely, but possible. Kinda too late now, though.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I can't read this thread I don't know what it is you said, but let me tell you another secret. Hobbes, I AM your son!
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads the entire thread...twice*

I like breaking rules. [Taunt]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

There was a young woman named Annie,
A thread she did make, one of many,
"However," she said,
"It may not be read,
If your resemblance to Hobbes is uncanny!"

*ducks tomatoes*

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
There once was a poster named Hobbes
Techinically a limerick is supposed to be anapestic trimeter, well for the first line anyways.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

That was pretty good Raia, but you're still a bad person for reading this thread. [Taunt]

Hobbes [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe, oh well, I didn't manage to buy my way out of disgrace with a limerick...

It was worth a try.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I didn't say it was a perfect line. I'm helping on a Limerick. You think I'm going to do all the hard work for you? Sheesh, young people today.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Techinically a limerick is supposed to be anapestic trimeter, well for the first line anyways.

Hobbes [Smile]

Sort of. Not all of the feet are whole. The scansion looks like this:

-`--`--`-
-`--`--`-
-`--`
-`--`
-`--`--`-

The hyphens are unstressed syllables, and the opening single quotes are stressed syllables.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hiroshima
Member # 7970

- posted      Profile for Hiroshima   Email Hiroshima         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this thread blank?
Posts: 90 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
holy dorkface!

[Hail] Jon Boy

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I can finally read it. I can breath a sigh of relief.

quote:
Just a bump so I can go mess with lem some more.
I am debating whether Dag used this line to edit out what he really said, or if this is what he would really do. I am not sure which is better. [Taunt] Wait...I think he was taunting me, too late, I got to use the graemlin!

The funny thing is that when I got home, I saw I was allowed to read this thread, and just as I was getting ready to post, my son tipped my diet coke on the keyboard and it stopped working. I was going to use my bookmarks and mouse to copy and paste my response by looking for specific words in the news, but even the thought exhausted me. I went to Staples instead. [Smile]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I can't read! Can you or Lem read it to me? That way I didn't really read it. [Evil]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought of limericks as:

--`--`--`
--`--`--`
--`--`
--`--`
--`--`--`

That is how I will write my lim'ricks,
They are full of this meter and tricks;
Every day 'till midnight,
When I turn off the light,
I will write 'till my body gets sick.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
There was once a poster named Hobbes.
As a cub, he liked to eat mobs.
He's a magnificient friend,
His supplies shall not end,
For marshmellows he frequently robs.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
-`--`--`
--`-`--`
`--`--`
--`--`
-`--`---`

?!?!

What's the meter?

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Da DAH da da DAH da da DAH da
Da DAH da da DAH da da DAH da
Da DAH da da DAH
Da DAH da da DAH
Da DAH da da DAH da da DAH da.

Jon Boy's right, although limericks get a bit of leeway on either end, meter-wise.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

-`--`--`
-`--`--`
--`--`
--`--`
--`--`--`

I settled down on this one, for now.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
pssst...you never saw me...I'm not here...
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, Hobbes, what'd you use? Lemon juice?
With Lem on board how could he resist?

(Seriously, I thought that the above comment was a pun and spent ages trying to find it.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Not reading, just posting
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Your problem, Jay.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.