FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does the Jewish community here think of Wagner and playing his stuff in Israel? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What does the Jewish community here think of Wagner and playing his stuff in Israel?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, it’s always appeared as simply a shame that Wagner is never heard in Israel (minus the few attempts of Zubin Mehta); but I’ve never been in the position where someone wrote incredible music and also called for the entire destruction of a people to whom I belong. So what do the Jews here think? Is this par for the course and right on track, or would you be fine with the Ring series being preformed in Jerusalem?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd be against the Ring being performed in Jerusalem. We never play the wedding march at our weddings because it was written be Wagner.

For me, the music is tainted and all I can think of when I hear it is his burning hatred. I do think it is possible to divorce the art from the artist, but only up to a certain point. For me, Wagner is beyond that point.

Also, there are still many Shoah (Holocaust) survivors in Jerusalem and many children and grandchildren of survivors. Performing Wagner seems disrespectful to them.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, will listen to Wagner's music. However, I would not play it at a wedding or any other public event.

That would go double for playing it in Jerusalem. Any problems that I would have it aside, the survivors and their families would rule that out (just as Mrs.M mentioned).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Fair enough.

What do you think of Mr. Mehta's attempts to have the music played?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug* First I've heard about it.

He's a wonderful conductor, but I really don't know anything about his politics -- or care.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, then let me rephrase that: what do you think of someone trying to get the music played there, to the point of conducting it for the few minutes it took to get it booed to a halt?

Hobbes [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, honestly, if they played it in a concert, where people can choose if they want to hear it (as opposed to playing it in a public space, for instance), I don't think he'd get booed to a halt, since people who object wouldn't come. And I know I would probably enjoy listening to Wagner, and I would go to a concert to hear it.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I would need to know more about the circumstances. Was it a decision that he made alone? Was it part of a pre-arranged program?

Did the audience know in advance? And why is Mehta pushing this -- surely he must know he's fighting local opinion. Why is he doing so? (Or why does he say he is?)

*goes off to Google*

Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm not sure where he played it, to be honest, but he did try, and he did get booed to a halt. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Rivka, I'm going to reveal some more of my ignorance and say you'll undoubtedly know much more after your Google search than I currently do, I would assume he's doing it because he loves the music, and wants it heard. It really is beautiful music.

Hobbes [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, he did? That, I did not know... ok, I sit corrected.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, he's been pulling this stuff for a while now.

quote:
Mehta had made a short speech in which he spoke of Israel as a democracy in which all music should be played.
The beginning of that statement has no bearing on the end.
Hobbes
Member # 433

I take it back, it wasn't booed to halt, it was continually booed all the way through the piece.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Rivka, in shame I went off and did my own search... and hit exactly the same site! [Laugh]

A quote on the most recent episode (of which I was not aware):

quote:
In July 2001, the prestigious Berlin Staatskapelle performed the "Tristan und Isolde" overture at the Israel Festival. While the orchestra's condutor, Daniel Barenboim (himself a Jew), had promised to respect the ban on Wagner's music, he surprised his audience by asking them if they wanted to hear Wagner as an encore following the scheduled performance. Most of the audience was in favor of the encore, which received a standing ovation from all but a few of the listeners. However, during a half-hour debate that preceded the performance of the overture, numerous Israelis protested and walked out of the theater, some shouting insults as they went.
Hobbes [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

An article which I disagree 100%.

quote:
To hear the way some Israelis have reacted to the playing of Richard Wagner’s music in Jerusalem, however, one would think that the words at Dachau say “never forgive and never forget.”
Forgiveness, in Jewish Law and tradition, requires repentance by the forgivee. Since there is zero evidence that Wagner did so, forgiveness is hardly relevant.

quote:
When the slated program was finished, the conductor turned to the audience and offered to play the piece.
Stupid move. If you are going to play a controversial piece, that should be VERY clear before the performance.
quote:
He engaged in thirty minutes of vigorous debate with the audience.
[Big Grin] I love Israelis.
quote:
These reasons alone, however, are insufficient to support the continued taboo on Wagner’s music in Israel.
Sez you. [Razz]
quote:
And the fact that he was Hitler’s favorite composer is quite irrelevant to the question of whether or not his music should be played in Israel.
Ok, make it 95% -- I agree with that. Wagner's virulent antisemitism is more than sufficient cause.
quote:
Their attitude suggests that reconciliation between Germans and Jews is, quite frankly, impossible. They advocate a wall of cultural separation between Germans and Jews (or, more precisely, Germanness and Jewishness) that is, at its root, precisely what the Nazis advocated. The Nazis banned the music of Gustav Mahler because he was a Jew and, hence, odious to their sensibilities - never mind that he was an outstanding composer.
This is utter garbage. He's not "banned" because he was German -- other German composers are played with impunity. He is banned because he was a loathsome, virulent antisemite, whose political writings can be directly linked to Hitler's later works.
quote:
Should Native Americans shun the patriotic marches of John Philip Sousa because they celebrate a nation that arose, to a great extent, at their expense?
Actually, I would understand (although not suggest) that position.
quote:
People should discuss and consider the context in which the music was created; but they should not let that context interfere with their assessment of the aesthetic appeal of the work itself.
Because the pieces are guaranteed free of Wagner's influence? [Razz] [Roll Eyes] Gimme a break! No piece of art can truly be divorced from its creator. If that were possible, art could be created by computers.
Raia
Member # 4700

What would you say if they suggested playing Wagner music in other parts of Israel, rivka?
Raia
Member # 4700

I mean, I enjoy Shakespeare's work, and Shakespeare was a blatant antisemite. I mean, just look at "The Merchant of Venice"...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, thanks for the link. Hobbsey, thanks for bringing this up. While I enjoy classical music, I don't pay attention to composers or their history, so I had no idea about any of this. Given what I've just read about Wagner in that article, I can quite understand why Jews would not want to listen to his music. And like rivka said, I don't see it having anything to do with his being German.

Thanks for the education. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No man who can write, "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" is a blatant antisemite.

Try playing Wagner in 20 years or so, when there are (probably) no living Holocaust survivors remaining. Until then, doing so in defiance of their feelings is callous.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Not that I'm Jewish, but I have to say, there's a difference between having a cultural disdain of Jews (as I always felt Shakespeare's was, just a part of the group-thought on Jews) and writing an entire book about how terrible the Jewish people really are.

I think the one thing I don't get is why it's important that he was tied, after death to WWII or Nazism. Would his writings have made him any less terrible or his music less questionable if they hadn't been picked up by Hitler?
[That question sounds more debatist than I meant it to, I think I'm just tired and my writting styles are begining to overlap in my mind. Sometimes while trying to speak in Jane Austen's language I get confused and slip into middle-English]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Good to see you Quid! [Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Not that I'm Jewish, but I have to say, there's a difference between having a cultural disdain of Jews (as I always felt Shakespeare's was, just a part of the group-thought on Jews) and writing an entire book about how terrible the Jewish people really are.

Exactly. And Shakespeare almost certainly never met a Jew, and was merely reflecting/exploiting the prejudices of his time.
quote:

I think the one thing I don't get is why it's important that he was tied, after death to WWII or Nazism. Would his writings have made him any less terrible or his music less questionable if they hadn't been picked up by Hitler?

It is important for two reasons, I think.

One is the emotional one -- to many many survivors (and others), Wagner's music is inextricably linked to Hitler. That's why I suggested waiting until there are no living survivors remaining.

The other aspect is, virulent hatred that stays on paper is one thing. When it triggers violence and genocide, that is another. Then it cannot be dismissed as mere words any longer.

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
The other aspect is, virulent hatred that stays on paper is one thing. When it triggers violence and genocide, that is another. Then it cannot be dismissed as mere words any longer.
I just don't see that, if I said that it would be a good idea to shout fire in a crowded room, how it be not as bad if no one did it than if someone took my advice years after my demise?

Somehow I think this disagreement is linked to our two very different understandings of final judgment (I'm thinking back to the debate on proxy baptisms here, seems like the same issue in a really weird way).

And for the record, I agree with your first reason.

Hobbes [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:

Somehow I think this disagreement is linked to our two very different understandings of final judgment (I'm thinking back to the debate on proxy baptisms here, seems like the same issue in a really weird way).

*laugh* I would not have thought of the connection, but I think you are right.
Hobbes
Member # 433

[Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you're both wrong.

Wagner was, in fact, an alien parasite inhabiting a conductor's body.

His work shouldn't be played by anyone, becuase it contains coded messages that keep us from finding the truth. [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm not Jewish and I don't (nor probably will I ever) live in Israel, so I have no need to form an opinion on this though of course I have. I guess I still feel that I would be in favor of Wagner's music being played if people wanted to hear it, but I'm sensitive to these arguments, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the policy so far, though if it's the same in 20 years my mind may change on that score.

See? And it didn't even cost you two cents! [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

How could a coded message keep us from finding the truth? Do you mean like subliminal?

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He's an alien parasite. He has ways of controlling the human brain we don't even understand.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You heard it here first, folks!

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Isn't Hatrack great?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hobbes! Did you miss me or something? I've been around...
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Just because I see you a lot doesn't mean it's not still nice.

Hobbes [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww! He's so sweet! Sometimes I can totally see why Annie likes him. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, he is sweet. [Kiss] That's for you, Hobbsey, a totally wet slobbery [Kiss]
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy his music, and listen to his compositions at home.

However, put aside the fact that Wagner was antisematic, that he was Hitler's favorite composer.

Think of how his music was played during WWII. When Jews were freezing in minus fourty degrees (Celcius) in the concentration camps, wearing light, shabby prison clothing, his music was booming throughout the loudspeakers.

When an Auschwitz survivor hears this music, it's the same for him (or her) being trapped in a small, closed room, or hearing loud, rythmatic footsteps, or even the German language. There's nothing to do with reason or logic. It's a basic emotion of horror, and that is why I will never play Wagner in public - just in case there's a holocaust survivor out there, hearing it and suffering.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ew, I didn't know that. That just makes it so much worse. Constant memories of hell through music.

You know, this is one of the reasons I love Hatcrack. I get to learn all sorts of things that I otherwise probably wouldn't.

Beanny
Member # 7109

I agree, quidscribis. Go Hatrack!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You know, this reminds me of a hymn from church. "There is beauty all around" when there's love at home (so the first verse continues). I hate it. I can't stand singing it. I've vetoed singing it ever since I realized I could. Now, mind you, I don't make a fuss and say anything to anyone. I just sit quietly and don't join in.

Why, you may ask? Because my mother used to beat me while she sang or hummed it. The irony.

So*, in my own little way, I can understand.

Beanny
Member # 7109

I'm sorry to hear. I hope you're living a perfectly happy life now.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but imagine if the composer of that song was actually an advocate of beating children who didn't anticipate your every whim.

I think Mehta is just being perverse, which I think is cheap art. Ugliness can be used to confront people with the truth, but I think there is a limit to where it just becomes abuse.

But I had no idea about Wagner's link to the holocaust- I knew he was Hitler's favorite composer but I alwasy thought "well, he can't help that." It's one of those things everyone assumes everyone knows to the point that no one bothers explaining it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh no, mothertree, I agree. That's why I said in my own little way. This is much worse.

Beanny, I am. Living a perfectly happy life now. Have for quite a long time, actually. [Big Grin] I'm also living halfway around the world from my nearest relatives. [Big Grin]

Beanny
Member # 7109

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Group Hug]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly had no idea about Wagner's anti-semitism until a few years ago, and didn't know he wrote the wedding march until I got engaged.

At my wedding (Christian/Jewish), there will be no Wagner, but there is a good chance that Bach will be performed, so a German will be represented [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Beanny:

Think of how his music was played during WWII. When Jews were freezing in minus forty degrees (Celsius) in the concentration camps, wearing light, shabby prison clothing, his music was booming throughout the loudspeakers.

When an Auschwitz survivor hears this music, it's the same for him (or her) being trapped in a small, closed room, or hearing loud, rhythmic footsteps, or even the German language. There's nothing to do with reason or logic. It's a basic emotion of horror, and that is why I will never play Wagner in public - just in case there's a holocaust survivor out there, hearing it and suffering.

Excellent point, Beanny.

(((((quid)))))

Beanny
Member # 7109

Oh, forgot to add that on my post ((((quidscribis)))
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Think of how his music was played during WWII. When Jews were freezing in minus fourty degrees (Celcius) in the concentration camps, wearing light, shabby prison clothing, his music was booming throughout the loudspeakers.

When an Auschwitz survivor hears this music, it's the same for him (or her) being trapped in a small, closed room, or hearing loud, rythmatic footsteps, or even the German language. There's nothing to do with reason or logic. It's a basic emotion of horror, and that is why I will never play Wagner in public - just in case there's a holocaust survivor out there, hearing it and suffering.

Okay, this is a good reason not to.

Katie's Opinion: The composer doesn't matter. If the material is good, it needs to be accepted on it's own merits. If it is not, it doesn't matter how virtuous the creator was, it still isn't good music.

As long Wagner's music doesn't actually consist of singing his antisemitism, then I think it should be okay to play. There are so many artists and writers whose politics I vehemently disagree with, but who still wrote some incredibly beautiful things. It's a problem for me only when it invades their art. So, Shelley and Homer are fine. Kipling is borderline, depending on the work. Rand is not.

However, if that exact music was used as an anthem of destruction and THAT is the association for so many people, then it is not okay to play.

I agree with whomever said that in thirty years, I'll bet it will be fine.

[ May 19, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

rivka, Beanny, honestly, I'm fine. Thank you, though. [Kiss]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How's is this different -- for those of you who don't agree with OSC's political and religious views, but love his work (his books). Is hearing Wagner's music bad because we don't agree with his political or moral views as the person he was outside of his music?

I'm just curious. At which point do we separate the art from the artist?

I also did not know of the Wagner/anti-semite views until this thread.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Wagner was an anti-semite. I still don't know the extent of it. AND I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

His music is beautiful. I don't want to think of Nazis and freezing/dying/starving Jews/Homosexuals/Communists in concentration camps when I hear it.

Most artists... Heck, most people.. have views I concider Evil. Obviously not to the extent that Wagner was evil, but Farmgirl is right. How IS it different from any artist expressing an abhorrent view?

This is why I really hate it when an artist expresses a political view. Yes, they have the right to speak and no one should take it away from them but it taints their work. It makes it hard to enjoy their work without thinking "This person would deny me my basic human rights" "This person would exterminate me" "This person thinks I am a slave to their idea of what government should do."

When I first found out OSCs opinion on certain issues I reacted much like that Something Positive cartoon not long ago. (I got over it =) In the end if you want to have any art in your life... Or even friends in your life, you have to seperate people from their opinions. And especially seperate their Art from their opinions. Otherwise you'll sit in an empty room all alone with no music or stories hating yourself for whatever you're humming.

That doesn't mean I would have wanted to hang out with Wagner, but I wouldn't avoid his concerts either.

As to playing it in Israel though.. I dunno.. that strikes me as Cussing in Church...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.